Why become a member? ×

Tonerider Pickups - know anything?

Funky Dunky

Considering upgrading the neck pup in my Squier VM PJ Precision bass. After a bunch of reading and YouTubery, I read an article posted via a link in the basses for sale section of BC about these - it's unconfirmed, but rumoured that they're the pups used in the Squier CV Precision bass. If that is indeed the case, I'm in. They're stoopidly inexpensive and the CV P basses sound killer - just what the doctor ordered. Reviews are thin on the ground and soundbites appear to be non-existent. All I know is what I read on the Tonerider website, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience playing or hearing the Tonerider Precision Plus pickup?

Dunno about the P, but I put a set of their J pickups in my J&D 1975. Very pleased with the result! Very authoritative without being shouty, rich without being thick, middy without being honky. Louder than standard pickups, but not silly loud and causing distortion...

I like 'em! :D

I have used them in a custom build. Very nice pickups, especially for the price, certainly would recommend. My own preference though are the Wilkinson Alnico premium P bass pickups. I have them in both my P builds and are great for a vintage tone with a touch of extra bite.

• 1 month later...

I have a Tonerider in my Mexican P - much nicer sounding than the factory fitted ceramic pickup. By nicer, I mean a less harsh top end, well defined low-mids and on the whole, it delivers a classic P tone.
I know some folk swear by the MIM P tone, but I really couldn't get on with it with flats fitted. It was tolerable with rounds for a modern kind of tone. The Tonerider suits flatwound strings perfectly.

Never tried the bass pickups. But Tonerider are my pickups of choice for 6 strings...I fit them in preference to Gibson Burstbuckers even when cost isn't an issue (and the Gibsons are at least twice the price). The single coils are also very good. I suspect that the bass p/ups are just as good!

• 1 month later...