Why become a member? ×

Band woes. Losing ryhthm section soulmate.

Shockwave

Hello all.

Recently I formed a Hardcore Punk band in the vein of No Trigger, Strike Anywhere and a Wilhelm Scream. Managed to get 3 good core members including an absolutely amazing if slightly rusty drummer who totally get the material.

We had still been looking for a vocalist, but things were moving and lots of auditions coming up this week. I have never felt so good about playing in a band as it's the music I have been wanting to do for nearly a decade. I haven't been this happy playing music in a long time. The drummer is amazing, we really click together and are very passionate about the same things. We managed to put together 2 originals and 4 covers within a few weeks no problem.

Unfortunately the drummer received some bad news and has to move away and I am really bummed out by it. I have severe doubts that we can find another drummer to replace him anytime soon. As many people experience, without a drummer there is really no band. I'll of course keep looking, but I am more then upset about the situation!

Never realised how much something like this could get me as down as this!

No real point to this. But just had to say it.

Edited by Shockwave

I can feel for you, I've been in this situation myself. As you know it's not easy finding good drummers, less so when it's someone who is practically telepathic and just does the right thing from the off, so you don't have to waste time explaining things to them... had one like this in the late 70s and have been looking for 'that' drummer ever since. Having said that, our current drummer is very good ...but he's a bit of a twat. Not much help really, but I know where you're coming from!

Edited by discreet

it's rubbish... putting bands together is such a painful experience, just as everything comes together someone ends up leaving. There really is no option but to just keep on going, try new people and keep trying to make it work... Stay positive :).

I sympathise though, there is nothing worse than getting the set together then having to start at square one again with new people.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1434961129' post='2804084']
Thing is, I had been trying my hardest form a band like this with these specific influences for nearly a decade and I could never get the right people. About ready to throw in the towel at the moment!
[/quote]

It's crap isn't it... especially when the project was your initial idea and you're the one driving it.

It'll work out though :)

I know the feeling. I lost my drummer last year and, for a Jazz trio with sax, bass and drums, you need a certain quality in your drummers that is frighteningly rare. It killed the trio, basically. I now have about 50 tunes sitting on a shelf and never getting played.

My last band went through about 3 or 4 drummers before we found someone who "got" the material and what the band was about. The band lasted a few years, but then I had to move further away because of work, which was a killer for me, as I had spent more than 10 years trying to get something like that together. We all travelled a fair distance to rehearse, but it was well worth it.

How far away has he moved? Are you still In contact with him? If you relocated your rehearsal space, would you & the rest be willing & able to travel that bit further to realise the band?

Good luck!

He's moving to Kent and we are based in London. I realise there are quite a few connections going out, however travel is painfully slow in London. Things are still up in the air at the moment, so when things die down we will have a chat about whether changing practice locations would help.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1434962856' post='2804103']
He's moving to Kent and we are based in London. I realise there are quite a few connections going out, however travel is painfully slow in London. Things are still up in the air at the moment, so when things die down we will have a chat about whether changing practice locations would help.
[/quote]

Depends where in Kent, really. Kent is a huge county. I was in a band that rehearsed in High Wycombe and I live in south London. I left in the end, but it wasn't because of the rehearsal commute. It also depends on what your transport situation is like.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1434963030' post='2804105']
Depends where in Kent, really. Kent is a huge county. I was in a band that rehearsed in High Wycombe and I live in south London. I left in the end, but it wasn't because of the rehearsal commute. It also depends on what your transport situation is like.
[/quote]

I know! Both the guitarist and I are in West London, so it may be quite difficult.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1434963328' post='2804107']
I know! Both the guitarist and I are in West London, so it may be quite difficult.
[/quote]

Ah... it's not really the Kent bit then, it's the getting from west to south east London bit... do you drive? If you're in SW London then the South Circular would be favourite (A205 > A20 > M20), or possibly A3 > M25 > wherever, depending on when you're travelling, etc etc.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1434964401' post='2804124']
Ah... it's not really the Kent bit then, it's the getting from west to south east London bit... do you drive? If you're in SW London then the South Circular would be favourite (A205 > A20 > M20), or possibly A3 > M25 > wherever, depending on when you're travelling, etc etc.
[/quote]

I am afraid not :/

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1434965073' post='2804137']
I am afraid not :/
[/quote]

Ah... then that does put a whole different angle on things. I'm guessing the train would be best public transport option, but you're going to be restricted on what gear you can carry, and travel certainly won't be cheap... sorry. :(

Edited by discreet

• 2 weeks later...

In my 3 piece cover band our drummer is amazing as well as being a nice bloke. He plays in another originals band and i know that is his real passion so I am always worried he pay pack our band in at any point. Ive spoken to the guitarist and he always says we can easily find another one if he was to walk but as a bass player i gel so well with him i wouldnt want to play with anyones else.

I feel your pain but you really need to stick with it. Sometimes things take a surprisingly positive turn when you least expect it. Kent to Wimbledon just isn't feasible IMO so move on and find someone new. Even if you keep blanking keep going as it only takes one right drummer to bite and you're back on track. At least you are in a densely populated area where the probability of there being a good drummer available is high. I live in the sticks and replacing band members can be really long winded because the pool of musicians is pretty shallow but even here we manage to find people eventually. Very best of luck.

Ah, the drummer search.

We're doing this at the moment to. I'd never really gelled with the last drummer in my band, he was a nice bloke but our playing never clicked, so I wasn't too sorry to see him leave.

As I joined a band that were already running I didn't get a say in the last drummer. This time I get a big input into who sits down and hits things.

It's taking a long time to find the right drummer for our band but, fingers crossed, the guy we met for a beer earlier this week will be able to play well. His personality was a good fit.

Take heart that there are drummers out there.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1434962856' post='2804103']
[/quote]

I too feel your pain.

We've had 5 drummers in 3 years. All left for work/personal reasons - none wanted to leave, but circumstances took over. Our one before last, I was actually very down when he quit - a great guy, and a good drummer too.

Our 'current' sticksman left a couple of weeks back, no notice period. Great. We've covered the gigs, and we're currently seeking a new drummer.

If yerman's moving to Kent, and needs a band....send him in our direction, LOL! :D

Edited by spongebob