Why become a member? ×

all in one modulators

Bassnut62

Hi

I am looking for a multi-effect modulator in a small package for small board and as a reserve in case of any problems on my main gigging pedals.

Two contenders are:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191607401053?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.donnerdeal.com/donnerr-alchemy-modulation-effect-guitar-pedal-16-model-true-bypass.html

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Both the Rowin Wave Revolver and the Donner Alchemy are ridiculously cheap for so many goodies and it appears to come down to a trade off between size vs number of effects.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I wonder how good the sound and build quality is though, does anyone know?[/font][/color]

I'd be very suspicious of a flanger that didn't have an equivalent of what Boss term "Manual" control. This changes the point about which the flange sound sweeps and is essential IMO for getting the sound to sit tunefully in the mix.

I have an Alchemy. Some of the sounds aren't bad at all and it's been on my board as a univibe since Christmas. However the second time I played out with it I noticed a volume drop - quite sure that wasn't there the first time - and can't find a reason why it would do that now, but as a gift I can't return it.

Sound quality wise, depends if you're a purist and what you expect from a pedal and how they react with your current tone.

If you have a guitar and amp tone that you love then I'd put money on these pedals compromising that, making it thin, less pronounced and considerably weaker. But if you just need a job done, a tool for the trick then I guess either would do that for you no problem.

I'm the first to admit I'm a tone snob, I notice things others don't seem to mind. Wish that wasn't the case :(

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1435263259' post='2807170']
Sound quality wise, depends if you're a purist and what you expect from a pedal and how they react with your current tone.

If you have a guitar and amp tone that you love then I'd put money on these pedals compromising that, making it thin, less pronounced and considerably weaker. But if you just need a job done, a tool for the trick then I guess either would do that for you no problem.

I'm the first to admit I'm a tone snob, I notice things others don't seem to mind. Wish that wasn't the case :(
[/quote]

Hmm....I'm a tone snob too and what you say is what I am afraid of.....Even if this only meant to be a back up, I do like my Phaser and Chorus to be very lush and full sounding with no volume drops or spikes, unless I want them.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1435330111' post='2807809']

Hmm....I'm a tone snob too and what you say is what I am afraid of.....Even if this only meant to be a back up, I do like my Phaser and Chorus to be very lush and full sounding with no volume drops or spikes, unless I want them.
[/quote]

Get what you pay for, false economy, quantity over quality, Jack of all trades master of none. Ok run out of cliches now :)

You already knew this though, good luck.

Ok, I wanted small and cheap multi-modulator. So this being BC what happens? Yes, GAS! I have splurged on the Strymon Mobius being sold by OneHappyBunny of these parts. Oh well. I am sure it will be a lot of fun with crazy good tone and possibilities.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1435611505' post='2810676']
Lol, proper GAS!

When it arrives, do tell :)
[/quote]

Ha, yes indeed....when in doubt, do it with overkill is my motto!

yes, will report back on the Mobius, when I've got to know it a bit.

Got the Mobius and it is capable of some incredible sounds, including many great ones preset from the factory that would take years to come up with oneself.
It seems to have 100 presets, 50 from factory and 50 that you can create yourself.

It took at least an hour to get up to speed with the very basics of what it can do.

Sound quality seems excellent and it has some clever tricks, like the option to feed it, like this....instrument - mobius - amp....or like this.....instrument - amp - mobius...., if you plug it into the fx loop of amp and into the front. Of course you can place other pedals anywhere you like in this signal and change the order with the press of a footswitch on the mobius. very clever and useful.

Size wise it's equivalent to 3 standard MXR boxes stuck together (with no leads in between) and the inputs are all top loading; so not a massive sacrifice of space given that it is equivalent to at least 12 different modulation pedals and endless combnations of the same.

It runs of standard 9v DC Boss type jack, but needs isolated minimum of 300Ma current to run at its best. I haven't dared try it on less current or in a daisy chain; but Strymon do not recommend this action.

I've only had an hour of playing on top of an hour of learning how the thing works; but so far it's a big thumbs up.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1435784287' post='2812499']
Got the Mobius and it is capable of some incredible sounds, including many great ones preset from the factory that would take years to come up with oneself.
It seems to have 100 presets, 50 from factory and 50 that you can create yourself.

It took at least an hour to get up to speed with the very basics of what it can do.

Sound quality seems excellent and it has some clever tricks, like the option to feed it, like this....instrument - mobius - amp....or like this.....instrument - amp - mobius...., if you plug it into the fx loop of amp and into the front. Of course you can place other pedals anywhere you like in this signal and change the order with the press of a footswitch on the mobius. very clever and useful.

Size wise it's equivalent to 3 standard MXR boxes stuck together (with no leads in between) and the inputs are all top loading; so not a massive sacrifice of space given that it is equivalent to at least 12 different modulation pedals and endless combnations of the same.

It runs of standard 9v DC Boss type jack, but needs isolated minimum of 300Ma current to run at its best. I haven't dared try it on less current or in a daisy chain; but Strymon do not recommend this action.

I've only had an hour of playing on top of an hour of learning how the thing works; but so far it's a big thumbs up.
[/quote]

Glad you're loving it :)

I've played the Flint, which is the tremolo / reverb pedal and it had some very well chosen tones on it. Must be creative guys at Strymon.

Have fun with it!

Edited by Chiliwailer

Cheers Chili, I've been doing just that today. Man, the preset tones are SOOOOOO good, I almost don't think I will need to create my own. Some of the Chorus and Flange sounds are about use best I've ever heard. The Rotary and Vibe stuff is v. Good too and there are some crazy fun Destroyed and Quadrant sounds in there from loose connection crackles sounds to playing the our an old analogue phone to some fun ring mod alien sounds and plenty of other goodies. The Tremolo is excellent and the Phase is good too. I am probably least impressed with the Wah and Filter tones so far; but they are competing with MuFx TruTron3x, so it's an unfair comparison.

The depth of parameters on tap is astonishing, including how much Headroom you want your effect to have....v.nice.
As I've learnt my way around the Möbius it turns out it is v simple and intuitive to use too. Obviously more complex than a simple 1-4 knob single stomp box; but still pretty easy.

I think main problem will be choosing from so many good modulation sounds.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1436121476' post='2815171']
Cheers Chili, I've been doing just that today. Man, the preset tones are SOOOOOO good, I almost don't think I will need to create my own. Some of the Chorus and Flange sounds are about use best I've ever heard. The Rotary and Vibe stuff is v. Good too and there are some crazy fun Destroyed and Quadrant sounds in there from loose connection crackles sounds to playing the our an old analogue phone to some fun ring mod alien sounds and plenty of other goodies. The Tremolo is excellent and the Phase is good too. I am probably least impressed with the Wah and Filter tones so far; but they are competing with MuFx TruTron3x, so it's an unfair comparison.

The depth of parameters on tap is astonishing, including how much Headroom you want your effect to have....v.nice.
As I've learnt my way around the Möbius it turns out it is v simple and intuitive to use too. Obviously more complex than a simple 1-4 knob single stomp box; but still pretty easy.

I think main problem will be choosing from so many good modulation sounds.
[/quote]

Yeah, the filters will never win that battle!!!

Great to hear you're loving it, nothing better than loads of great to sounds to tap into and inspire.

Check out The Fretboard forum if you haven't already, Strymon gear comes up on there from time to time, they do some very interesting boxes and The Fretboard has a good fx for sale section.

I've got no room left on my purposely small board..... Just too many nice boxes out there to tempt us :)

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1436215418' post='2816146']

Yeah, the filters will never win that battle!!!

Great to hear you're loving it, nothing better than loads of great to sounds to tap into and inspire.

Check out The Fretboard forum if you haven't already, Strymon gear comes up on there from time to time, they do some very interesting boxes and The Fretboard has a good fx for sale section.

I've got no room left on my purposely small board..... Just too many nice boxes out there to tempt us :)
[/quote]

Thanks for tip on The Fretboard, not heard of that forum before; will check it out.
As it happens I have same problem, I restrict myself to smaller boards deliberately too!

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1436216582' post='2816163']

Thanks for tip on The Fretboard, not heard of that forum before;
[/quote]

Uh oh, on second thoughts I hope I haven't lead you astray...

It's pretty good for classifieds, though I find Basschat to me a much better forum ( obviously :) ).

Ta Chili

I know you were impressed with that bit of sensible acquisition going completely off-piste due to GAS; so check this out........
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/261200-3-door-estate-cars/page__st__30__gopid__2823292#entry2823292"]http://basschat.co.u...92#entry2823292[/url]

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1437060826' post='2823295']
Ta Chili

I know you were impressed with that bit of sensible acquisition going completely off-piste due to GAS; so check this out........
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/261200-3-door-estate-cars/page__st__30__gopid__2823292#entry2823292"]http://basschat.co.u...92#entry2823292[/url]
[/quote]

That looks great pal, proper classic, exactly what you need to turn up to that gig in style. :)