Why become a member? ×

Sansamp RPM to try, West Yorks?

adamg67

I'm wondering if anyone anywhere near me (BD20, Skipton / Keighley - don't let the Keighley bit put you off, I live far enough away ;) ) has a rackmount Sansamp RPM that they'd considering loaning out for a week or so. I've got an RBI at the moment, which I could temporarily swap just in case there's anyone with an RPM who wants to know what an RBI sounds like. Otherwise I can happily leave the cash to cover the value of the RPM.

I've got a feeling that the RBI is a little bit too Ampeg for me, I seem to have ended up with my bass EQed to deliberately defeat the mid scoop, plus when I play with a pick (about half our songs) it's still a bit "clicky". From what I've heard, the RPM would give me something like the same tone with a flatter EQ on the bass, and more scope to find the right tone.

Worth asking, otherwise I'll just look out for a 2nd hand RPM, try it against the RBI and sell the one I don't want.

I'm too far away for you to try mine but I'd be confident you'll like it. Unless you really like the presence on the RBI the advantage of the parametric mids on the RPM is you can lose the mid cut. Or cut/boost whatever you want. You can even replicate the presence on the RBI.
It's a great unit. I ran two VTRMs but now I have one RPM in there as you can do more with it. The gain on the RPM I prefer also.

In the meantime have you tried backing off the blend to halfway or less? I don't think many people go beyond that because of the scoop from the "tube emulation"

[quote name='tonyxtiger' timestamp='1435079777' post='2805274']
I'm too far away for you to try mine but I'd be confident you'll like it. Unless you really like the presence on the RBI the advantage of the parametric mids on the RPM is you can lose the mid cut. Or cut/boost whatever you want. You can even replicate the presence on the RBI.
It's a great unit. I ran two VTRMs but now I have one RPM in there as you can do more with it. The gain on the RPM I prefer also.

In the meantime have you tried backing off the blend to halfway or less? I don't think many people go beyond that because of the scoop from the "tube emulation"
[/quote]

Yeah, that's very much what I was thinking, much more flexibility from the RPM. I do use blend to tame the presence, I seem to be able to get a similar sound in one of two ways, either taking blend down and drive up, or leaving the blend up and using mid boost + treble cut on the bass. Both get me to about the same place, bit it's like there's only one sound I like from the RBI and I suspect there are more from the RPM.

I think I'll look out for an RPM for sale, or maybe even buy a new one, and then try them back to back and keep the one I like most.