Why become a member? ×

Anyone used a TechAmp Pleasure Board?

Naetharu

Hi folks,

I came across these odd little things from Tech-Amp last night: http://www.public-peace.de/index.php/amplification/tecamp/1481-pleasure-board-medium

Has anyone here used one? I'm interested to know what they are like, since I practice in my flat a lot and the idea of being able to feel the bass even when using headphones actually sounds pretty nifty.

its the amp that goes with them the really makes me cringe. They called that one the pleasure pump which just makes it sound like some kind adult toy. All the same it's an interesting idea if you can get past the name :)

Edit: Added punctuation to make post readable

Edited by Naetharu

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1435059476' post='2804965']
its the amp that goes with them the really makes me cringe they called that one the pleasure pump which just makes it sound like some kind adult toy all the same it's an interesting idea if you can get past the name :)
[/quote]

Yes I saw it featured in BGM recently... I doesn't matter how good it is I'm not walking into a shop and asking to try a pleasure pump...

I think that the name was chosen for the F'nar factor given that the company trade under the rather industrial (IMV) name Tecamp.

I do like the idea of a low volume gigging rig straight to PA and for this the Pleasure Board and Pump makes sense - the concept drives our guitarists wild, simply because they have to turn down.

Has anyone gone bass only with an in ear system and this or is it something that everyone in a band has to do?

I haven't used them, but saw some at Bass Direct earlier this year too. I did express an interest, though they said they hadn't sold any to date. It makes sense if they're paired with some IEM's, I imagine you get the full body vibration as you would standing in front of a stack and save damaging your ears!

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1435093109' post='2805475']
I haven't used them, but saw some at Bass Direct earlier this year too. I did express an interest, though they said they hadn't sold any to date. It makes sense if they're paired with some IEM's, I imagine you get the full body vibration as you would standing in front of a stack and save damaging your ears!
[/quote]

Aye, that was my thinking. Living in a flat, I have to practice most of the time with phones on and it would be really nice to get the feel of the bass. Not something at the top of my wish-list but certainly a consideration as playing bass is just not the same without the thump :)

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1435059668' post='2804969']
I think there's a similar concept used for drummers with a stool that transmits vibrations through the players body while playing. The one guy I've seen use it (The Zombies drummer) raves about it, says he can't live without it!
[/quote]

Yep our drummer uses one, he also raves about it, it goes under his stool and up through his arse, horrible really...

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1435132742' post='2805686']
Think obbm had one of these for a while. It you are in an upstairs flat, I wonder if vibrations through the floor might be an be issue for the neighbours downstairs.
[/quote]

This was my thought too. My band does occasional song writing get togethers at my flat. We don't play very loud, but we've still had to isolate all the speakers from the floor to avoid complaints from downstairs.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1435059668' post='2804969']
I think there's a similar concept used for drummers with a stool that transmits vibrations through the players body while playing. The one guy I've seen use it (The Zombies drummer) raves about it, says he can't live without it!
[/quote]

I played a gig once where they had one as part of the shared/house kit. I absolutely hated it! The suggestion was that it'll let me "feel" the kick drum without having to put it in the monitor, but I would never have the kick drum in the monitor - surely if you need a monitor to hear your kick drum then something's gone wrong with the on stage sound!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1435133403' post='2805691']
This was my thought too. My band does occasional song writing get togethers at my flat. We don't play very loud, but we've still had to isolate all the speakers from the floor to avoid complaints from downstairs.
[/quote]

I'm on the ground floor so its not too bad - its just that given I have neighbors to all sides and above I have to be reasonable about noise. I've built a little sound-resistant area with the floor and walls well carpeted etc and so far so good.

Apparently the TecAmp board has some kind of funky suspension that is supposed to avoid vibrations into the floor, but I have no idea how well that would work in practice.

Interested in diy approach? I recall seeing a diy version somewhere on the internet for something similar to the pleasureboard. There's guys on YouTube making vibrating chairs for home cinema and gaming use which would be similar.

I played one on a regular basis.
What most people seem to forget is, that you can feed the whole monitor sound to the pad.
So you not only get the thump from your bass, but you also get to feel the drums and therefore you may sync better wirth the drummer.

To me, the only disadvantage is being tied to a small spot.
Everything else is a plus to me.

Edited by gillento

Did you find that it transmitted down to the floor? What size board did you use? I am tempted to save up for one for practicing at home without driving my wife insane with repetitive phrases.

And also to avoid distressing the cats with slap pops.

Edited by 72deluxe

[quote name='72deluxe' timestamp='1435662341' post='2811046']
Did you find that it transmitted down to the floor? What size board did you use? I am tempted to save up for one for practicing at home without driving my wife insane with repetitive phrases.

And also to avoid distressing the cats with slap pops.
[/quote]

I have the original one (80cm x 80cm)
Everything fine with transmission to the floor.

Thanks, very informative. Did it manage to transfer all the nuances of playing, not just low notes?

I wonder about the price of the other "kinetic transfer" platforms available (http://porteranddavies.co.uk/KTPOverviewPage.html) ? That page specifically mentions transferring dynamics and harmonics - did the Tecamp one manage that?

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1437856210' post='2829601']
Would you like to sell it then?
[/quote]

Not sure, but I have passed the message to a friend of mine who might unload his.
He has the original version (now called Medium).