Why become a member? ×

Broken Hartke A35

DanOwens

I've got an A35 I got out of storage a while back but I recently sent it to an amp tech. He said the fault is in the power amp section (consistent with the fact I get a tiny headphone signal from the effects out).

What should I do? If the problem is in the power section then I've got a working preamp and nice speaker. Can I just get a little power amp from somewhere? It'd have to be tiny!

Or do I just try and sell the speaker? I'm not keen to sink the £150 or so into a valve amp kit but my father-in-law has experience with audio building.

Your help is appreciated!!

TBH it's probably uneconomic to repair unless it's something really simple. If you reckon the value as roughly half the new cost then that should give you an idea of how much you should be prepared to spend.

If all the amp tech did was to try the effects output then it might be something really simple like an internal fuse or a dry solder joint. Your best bet is to get a quote/estimate for a repair and/or possibly to ask your Father in law to take a quick look. If there is no joy then sell it on and let someone else try.

The trouble is that it is getting on for an hours work to take the amp out get it on the bench and then to put it back. Until that is done the tech will have no idea if it is fixable and what is involved.

I had a Hartke kickback that started oscillating a while back (whistling noise), took it to my tech and he couldn't fix it. I spent about the secondhand value on trying but to no avail. The tech said that these amps were not really designed to be repaired, making it quite tricky to work on.

So I took out the amp section and I just use it as a practice speaker. I just found a cheap amp to plug the speaker into instead. I wouldn't want to carry it around in this form but it does the job in the practice room.