Why become a member? ×

How to decide which bass to take to America

The Badderer

The other 'hidden' push factor to buying and disposing in the USA is the cost of a suitable airline proof (hah) flight case for any instrument of great value. S/H Squire, Peavey, Yamaha or suchlike commodity bass plus pickups of your choice probably cheaper than a good ATA flight case.

yeah. My thoughts were, even if i buy it from new, at the end of my first, second or third year (depending how long I go for) I could just sell it on to any bass player who wants it and take a bit of a hit, or I just buy a hard case and take my chances with the airlines. I may take a $50-100 hit on it, but much less of a risk than taking a £500-1000 bass plus all the other stuff I'd put in the case, only to find I've got issues the other end.

that is something worth thinking about for my journey home! I don't really see any reason why not. I would probably seek some advice before doing it. I know the bass would need some time to settle back down once put back together.

My only thought would be whether in the week or 2 before leaving, you would need to start to slacken off the strings and at the same time loosen off the truss rod so that it wasn't trying to curve the neck against the force of the strings (that are going to be taken off). Otherwise if you just take the strings off and leave it for a few days, the neck might get overly bent.

Edited by The Badderer

his method seems quite sensible. I'd definitely think 2 half turns over the course of a few days (I may go for the period of at least a week) is sensible. The truss rod must need some adjustment if there are no strings to work against.

Edited by The Badderer

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1435601385' post='2810480']
I'm planning on buying in the US next month. TBH, I can't see why I can't just take the neck off, wrap body and neck separately with bubble wrap and stick them in my suitcases...
[/quote]

This is exactly what I did when I went to Wooten Woods. Removed neck from body, tuners from neck (saves a surprising amount of space), wrapped everything in clothes. Was still a little stressed about it in transit though, because of luggage size restrictions, the neck was still pretty jammed in diagonally across the case.....and they really do just fling those cases about when loading them.

I didn't loosen the rod (didn't read into that at all), just made sure that I rebuilt the bass as soon as got to the hotel!

Si

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1435601385' post='2810480']
I'm planning on buying in the US next month. TBH, I can't see why I can't just take the neck off, wrap body and neck separately with bubble wrap and stick them in my suitcases...
[/quote]

I have also done this (albeit with a cheapy play bass). It was dismantled for about 24 hours, and upon reassembly played absolutely the same, as far as I could tell. But, perhaps, more... quality... instruments might be a bit more sensitive.

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1435657783' post='2810971']
that's good to know cheers guys. i'll be less getting my knickers in a twist about dismantling the bass option now!
[/quote]

Another reason to just buy one out there, and do that for getting it home again. Maybe just check your case with an existing bass before you leave lol

Si

When you are buying in the US make sure the Bass is one that CAN be shipped abroad, just in case US Customs get[i] funny[/i].
I don't know if this is actually being enforced though......

http://americanorchestras.org/advocacy-government/travel-with-instruments/endangered-species-material/protected-species-travel-tips.html

http://www.musiciansunion.org.uk/news/2014/10/04/for-musicians-travelling-overseas-with-their-instrument/

WOW! good tip. Fortunately I don't think a bass I'd be looking at is likely to have Brazilian Rosewood or Ivory in it, but I'd never heard of this. My Cello bow might have given me some issues possibly. I don't know what's in it, but it might have had some shell.

I don't think there'll be any issue transporting a Squier, but good to know for future references!

Don't be affraid to dismantle your (future) bass and bring it in a suitcase. I find that most people tend to worry too much about truss rod tension on a unstringed neck. Wood has a fairly amount of resistance and won't snap or bend overnight. When you remove the neck of the bass, if you can notice a very considerable amount of back bow (you need to be using very high gauge stings for that IMO) just slowly reduce the truss tension.

There will probably be an angry mob forming by now to come and get me but i never did that "1/4 turn and overnight to rest" thing. I've setup basses that required more than 2 full turns on the rod and not a single neck snapped - just be sure to turn the key very slowly and take your time with it.

• 3 weeks later...

well..... having put this topic to bed and definitely, absolutely 100% decided on buying a bass when I get there... even went as far as trying 2 squires in Wunjos.... we got really cheap flights to San Fransisco with BA in their sale today. So it now turns out it'll be far cheaper for me to take a bass and I trust BA to transport it fine (and if it gets damaged I'm sure i'll be able to get compensation for the damage... famous last words).

So.... update to my thoughts.... Warwick is a no go... amazing bass and getting some incredible tones out of it... it does a P Bass tone better than a P Bass (just found out how to get it). The neck is just to chunky for my playing style for me to play it over long periods of time. I'm sure i could get used to it, but I'm not 100% comfortable.
Lakland... I'm not taking this. When I get back from America I want to try putting a new Pre-Amp in it and seeing how it sounds then. I don't want to take it in case I get the chance to record out there.

So down to ACG or Fender.

I'm currently just playing my Fender as I was getting my fingers ready for playing on a Squier CV Jazz, and I'm starting to feel comfortable on it. I've also been adjusting truss rod etc. to get used to setting it up so feeling a bit more comfortable with it even if the set up needed sorting in a very cold US winter.

ACG I still feel that it would be great to have this with me and knowing I'm going and coming back with BA makes me a lot more comfortable taking it.

Well there we go. Dilemma is slowly sorting itself, but still no closer to making a decision yet.... AAARGH!!!

• 1 month later...

After all of the above, BA (to the best of my knowledge) changed their baggage policy. Initially on multiple readings I am 99% sure it said, they will take Musical instruments for free in the hold, as well as your 23KG baggage allowance. Now they are saying, that was never the case and the instrument was always part of the baggage allowance and they never allow instruments in the cabin (unless something small that will fit in the overhead lockers) unless I wanted to buy an extra seat for it.... yeah because the spare ticket is probably twice the price of this bass below :)

So I will be going to the US with no bass, and buying.....

[url="http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JBassJJLPB"]http://www.sweetwate...tail/JBassJJLPB[/url]

Edited by The Badderer

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1440975784' post='2855111']
After all of the above, BA (to the best of my knowledge) changed their baggage policy. Initially on multiple readings I am 99% sure it said, they will take Musical instruments for free in the hold, as well as your 23KG baggage allowance. Now they are saying, that was never the case and the instrument was always part of the baggage allowance and they never allow instruments in the cabin (unless something small that will fit in the overhead lockers) unless I wanted to buy an extra seat for it.... yeah because the spare ticket is probably twice the price of this bass below :)

So I will be going to the US with no bass, and buying.....

[url="http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JBassJJLPB"]http://www.sweetwate...tail/JBassJJLPB[/url]

[/quote]

Fwiw I think that's a good call. No worries on the way out, and if you get to love this bass you can always bring it back disassembled or invest in an ATA case for future flying-with-bass adventures.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well I'm here and have time to check on bass chat for the 1st time since september! I got the Squier James Johnston Sig. Jazz bass.... and WOW what a great bass. cost me £265 from new (USA prices), and there is barely any difference between that and a USA Fender. Great build quality. Great tone. Job done. When I get home I will be having a serious clear out of some of my basses.

In answer to above questions. My Warwick is a 2004. The neck's not mega chunky, but just noticeable enough to make playing for 2-3 hours at a time quite tiring on the left hand in comparison to a Jazz bass. I can still play totally fine with it, but it's just not as comfy for long plays needing stamina.