Why become a member? ×

How to decide which bass to take to America

The Badderer

So if all goes well, I may be going to America for 8 months to study Christian stuff (avoiding use of jargon), and a large part of that study will be music based. They have multiple worship bands that I can audition for and I'm good enough to definitely get into one (cue Egg on face humiliation moment). The issue is I can't 100% decide which bass to take because they all have pros and cons (1st world problems!).

[u][b]Candidate 1. ACG. [/b][/u]
Pros: Makes an amazing sound. I'm really comfortable using the filter preamp and it's really versatile. Got a great neck and it's a really stable bass, doesn't require any effort for it to maintain its set up. Also it looks amazing and may turn a few heads at auditions as I doubt they'd have ever seen one before.

Cons: It's the most expensive bass I'd be taking and even though there may be secure lock up facilities, it doesn't guarantee anything. It also holds massive sentimental value as I bought it in memory of my Gran who died last year. But then it would also be nice to take this bass on this journey for that reason too. If it wasn't for this factor I would definitely take it. Only other con is it's Active only, but takes 2x9V batteries that last for ages and I'm sensible enough to have 2 spare. It also has a dying battery warning light (currently been on for about 6 hours of play time), so I really shouldn't have it go on me on stage.

[u][b]Candidate 2. Fender Jazz.[/b][/u]
Pros: Makes a standard predictable Fender Jazz sound but nicer because it has Wizard Pups in it. Looks nice. Hassle free as totally passive. No batteries to go dead. It's a Fender Jazz so if it got stolen it's not like I can't find another pretty close that will do the same job. No sentimental value.

Cons: Of all of my basses it's the one that has to have the most amount of attention paid to how it is set up. Temp differences etc. mean I do have to make sure it's adjusted to have the right action. I wouldn't want to have to play in a morning session only to find it's been a cold snap and my bass is choking the strings if I play at the 12th fret.

[b][u]Candidate 3. Warwick Corvette $$.[/u][/b]
Pros: Really solid construction. Great sound. Variety of sound as got multiple EQ and pup combinations. Active/Passive. If battery fails I can just pull out volume knob and play passive. Really great quality. In current market value this is my cheapest bass because us crazy Brits for some reason don't want to spend a lot of money on these, so it would be the least troubling to lose.

Cons: Of all of my basses this has the fattest neck front to back, and I prefer slimmer necks. I am currently practicing exclusively with this bass to work on stretching my fingers because of its neck. I can manage fine on it but it's not my favourite bass to play.

[b][u]Candidate 4. Lakland Skyline.[/u][/b]
Pros: Amazing Neck. Also Active/Passive. has a J/MM pickup configuration so decent variety of sounds. Can get a really mellow warm sound live out of it but also dial in cutting biting through the mix sound.

Cons: If doing recording the Bartolini pups / Preamp combination at certain times can give a bit of strange sound. It would be the bass I'd least like to record with if I got the opportunity to record, but it gives an amazing tone live. I maybe need to have a play with my recording gear and see if I should do something differently, but I get a great recorded tone out of all my other basses.

[u][b]Option 5[/b][/u]
Leave all the basses behind and go to a local music store when I get out there and pick up a Fender P / Lakland Bob Glaub P (currently missing from my set up). However, the auditions are fairly soon after arrival and if I get out there without a bass I may have nothing to practice on, they may not have any decent basses in stock and I may have a fairly long trip to find the nearest music store with decent basses. I think the next nearest town if there isn't a decent bass in my town would be about a 2-3 hour drive away.

So feel free to leave opinions etc. I may not take all opinions into account and may make a totally irrational decision. I just thought I'd turn to the BC collective brain. Thanks in advance, and keep it civil :blink:

So... 2 & 3 both have issues/features that mean you're not really comfortable with them, so I'd rule them out.

That leaves 1 & 4. The Lakky sounds a sensible bet since it'd be down to the engineer to get it to sit nicely in the mix, not you. [b]But[/b]...

You've obviously bonded with the ACG on many levels. Notwithstanding the risk of it going AWOL, it sounds like there isn't a more appropriate candidate. You'll be playing music that you connect with straight from the heart & what better way than to use your "Gran's bass"?

Take it, melt their ears with its sound & melt their hearts with its story.

Good luck with it if it comes off & don't forget to write.

P.

I don't know what Christian music you will be doing but it it's gospel music you will certainly find a low B-string an asset, If that's the case I would suggest you take a 5 string if any of the ones you list is a 5er. Also if you have insurance you might want to extend the international cover.

Edited by jazzyvee

HA! cheers guys. I'm more comfortable on 4 strings as there is a lot of transposition on the fly. I see most of their bass players using 4 strings, but if i need a 5 string i would buy one while I was out there. I'm leaving my 5 string at home, it's my most expensive bass as it's a US Spector.

Yeah I have one, but I'm not taking a £1300-1500 (market depending) bass across to america. If I need a 5 string I'll get one over there, but most of their bass players are using 4 strings so I don't think playing a 4 string is an issue. I'd rather be on a bass I'm more comfortable transposing on the fly. I'm not so comfortable on a 5 string as I haven't had so much of a chance to use it live and do transposition with it. I'd run the risk of getting lost.

Buy something in USA, avoid import, freight (both ways) and import back issues. Find something useful and cheap that if lost, damaged, stolen etc does not matter and will not depreciate. Even better find something unusual, different and bring it back and move on here. There are plenty of basses out there :)

that option is starting to appeal more. I'm considering sending an email to the music stores where i'm headed to see what they have in stock and if they could order me something in for when I get there. It's the worry for me of getting there, needing to practice and get used to the instrument right before an audition and not being able to find a decent bass in town that is worrying me.

I sent a couple of emails last night so I'll see what I get back. I've asked to see if they can order in a bass that I specify and then I pay when I get there if I like it. Also asked about what they currently have in stock. I don't want to be lumbered with a bass I don't get on with that I've ordered from distance. If I can order something with a specific neck size etc. then at least I've got a decent chance of getting on with it.

The issue from doing some research last night is there are only 3 music stores. One is quite obviously not a bass/guitar supplier. Just has very basic starter basses. The other one doesn't seem to have a great range. The 3rd one seems to stock from quite a few decent names, but has a really rubbish website, so I've emailed them.

I've also messaged my place of study to see if they have any recommendations for music stores / instrument suppliers and who to steer clear of.

I want to see if this is a solid option or not so it makes my choices clearer.

I only see two options here, option 1 or option 5. You don't want to take the Warwick with you because it's uncomfortable and i don't see a point in paying the fee to fly a Fender or a Lakland to the USA (you can get a decent Fender over there in any pawn shop for not much money). So you need to ask yourself, is the AGC so good that justifies paying for its ticket?

Another thought, remember that the money you spend taking one bass over there can be seen as a discount on buying a bass over there ;)

out of interest as I haven't got round to asking airlines yet, but does this mean that I can't have it stored in the hold? Do i have to purchase a ticket or can I ask for a luggages allowance? My assumption had been that I might have to pay a small supplement, but if I have to buy a whole ticket then I could probably buy a USA fender over there for the same money as an airline ticket, so job done!

You can ship it with the luggage but you'll have to be sure it's well stored and inside a flightcase, with some silica gel bags inside to help with the humidity. The luggage compartment isn't climatised like the rest of the aeroplain. Can't say for sure the price of that extra supplement.

thanks for the tip about the silica gel. one of the reasons for considering the ACG is that it's a single cut so the join of the body and neck is much more solid and stable. I've got a decent hard case to transport it in. It will depend a lot on what the cost of the supplement is if anything. If i'm spending over £100 I may as well just buy a Fender or Lakland out there and then bring it back or ship it back. I'll ask Alan to see if he has any tips for transporting on long haul flights as he may have some good insight.

If it were me, and I was going for 8 months (not a short period of time), then I would purchase out there.
I went to Wooten Woods last year and took my Jazz bass and found it all quite stressful, let alone taking something like an ACG.
It would be easy enough to try and line up a couple of basses at local(isn) shops, let them know your plans a few weeks before, and see if you could arrange them having something in stock, or put by for you. It's a long shot, but you don't know unless you ask.
Believe me, will make your travelling a lot more worry-free.

Si

Cheers Si. I had a pretty decent response from the one shop that seemed like it had a decent supply. They currently have 4 P-Bass some Schecter and Yamaha basses plus others in stock, and they have more stock at a 2nd store not far away that they can bring over to the store local to me to try. Pretty happy with that as a prompt response, so option 5 is starting look like a much more likely solution now. The risk of me being stranded without anything to play seems less likely now, so if all goes well I think after all that Option 5 may be the winner..... plus I get to buy a new bass..... i've gone for months with no GAS... cheers guys!!

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1435361161' post='2808206']
Cheers Si. I had a pretty decent response from the one shop that seemed like it had a decent supply. They currently have 4 P-Bass some Schecter and Yamaha basses plus others in stock, and they have more stock at a 2nd store not far away that they can bring over to the store local to me to try. Pretty happy with that as a prompt response, so option 5 is starting look like a much more likely solution now. The risk of me being stranded without anything to play seems less likely now, so if all goes well I think after all that Option 5 may be the winner..... plus I get to buy a new bass..... i've gone for months with no GAS... cheers guys!!
[/quote]

Good choice!

Id have done the same! What and excuse to try out some new kit!

BLOODY GAS!!!! Not 1 hour after this I found myself on Talkbass classifieds eyeing up basses..... some aren't much different in price to here.... some (especially Fenders and Laklands) are a fair whack cheaper, and some are a decent price new from online shops like Sweetwater etc.

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1435335846' post='2807881']
thanks for the tip about the silica gel. one of the reasons for considering the ACG is that it's a single cut so the join of the body and neck is much more solid and stable. I've got a decent hard case to transport it in. It will depend a lot on what the cost of the supplement is if anything. If i'm spending over £100 I may as well just buy a Fender or Lakland out there and then bring it back or ship it back. I'll ask Alan to see if he has any tips for transporting on long haul flights as he may have some good insight.
[/quote] .... buy a bass out there... for a number of reasons listed above... but also if I went to try and get into bands in a foreign culture I would be more confident they would connect with something that looks like a Fender than a single cut with a crazy preamp in it.

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1435395468' post='2808332']
dare i mention it, I did see a 2nd hand rick in mint condition for $1650 (about £1000)

and a New Matt Freeman Squire for $380 (i'm guessing +10% tax) so about £265
[/quote]

Rickenbacker and Christianity. There's a bit of a conundrum. Depends if your planning on playing heavy metal!

The filter preamp does come across as crazy at first, but once you grasp how to set it up (i'd say after the first 2-3 days of decent playing) it's really great. I get why people struggle with the concept because a lot of people are used to turning knobs for either Tone controls, or Treble / Mid / Bass boost or cut. You just have to get your head round how a filter works.... and it's such a pretty bass http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/portfolio/0037-finn-sc-classic-4-string/

It's OK about the Rick, it's not a clean cut posh church. I'm taking a Darkglass VMT Deluxe and a Sansamp VT Deluxe too as preamp DI options, as they have quite a bit of dirt on a lot of their songs. Well looking forward to it. I think the Matt Freeman Squier may win out in the end if it's about £265. No point spending any more on a P Bass as I could just upgrade the pups if I wanted a different sound. Most reviews are giving it the big thumbs up :crazy: