Why become a member? ×

Rh750

patch006

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1435236676' post='2806823']Usually, most cabs aren't actually spot on 8 or 4 ohms, if I recall.[/quote]

No cabs are spot on 8 or 4 ohms - it's impossible.

The actual impedance curve of the RS210 is here: http://epublish.panaprint.com/publication/?i=76122 (page 67)

It varies between 5 ohms and 35 ohms. That's pretty normal for an 8 ohm nominal cab.

This document on the TC Electronic website states the following: ( http://cdn-downloads.tcelectronic.com/media/914735/tc_electronic_bass_amp_power_rating___active_power_management.pdf )

BH500: Min load = 2 ohms
RH450: Min load = 2.66 ohms
RH750: Min load = 2.66 ohms
Blacksmith: Min load = 2.66 ohms

It's in black and white on their website. Any three 8 ohm cabs or any 4 ohm and 8 ohm cab, or indeed a 5.3 ohm and 8 ohm cab.

All that'll happen if you run it below the minimum load anyway (unless you're extremely unlucky or doing something really stupid) is that it'll shut down to protect itself - modern amps are clever like that.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1435236092' post='2806809']
No. They wanted us to think their cabs were special, so we would buy lots of them, but they are bog standard cabs. Really.

What really gets me, enough to labour the point again, is that someone will ask a question and they will get a reply. In this case, with the best intentions, they will be given the wrong information. And that wrong and misleading info has been gleaned not from the marketing blurb, but from the User Manual and label on the back of the amp.
[/quote]

Weren't the TC cabs tested by BGM and the nominal impedance was found to be quite a bit above 8ohms? IIRC the cabs tested were around 11-12 ohms.

Obviously impedance isn't a constant and they can still be classed as 8ohms but still, it's there.

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1435244464' post='2806938']
Weren't the TC cabs tested by BGM and the nominal impedance was found to be quite a bit above 8ohms? IIRC the cabs tested were around 11-12 ohms.

Obviously impedance isn't a constant and they can still be classed as 8ohms but still, it's there.
[/quote]
My thoughts exactly. That is what I was getting at. It is still marketing and covering themselves, but I knew I'd read that somewhere. I'm sure it doesn't matter which 3 x 8 ohm (or other combo) cabs you use, but I guess they thought they'd push towards their own cabs, especially as their cabs are more like 11-12 ohms. Doesn't really bother me as I'll never use 3 x 8 ohm cabs.

Edited by Musicman20

• 4 months later...