Why become a member? ×

Squier Precision - Matt Freeman model. Incredible.

mcnach

After a few days away, I arrived back to find that box waiting for me. Yup, last week I succumbed and ordered a Matt Freeman Precision.

Do I need a P-bass? Yes, of course. But do I need *another* P-bass. Of course not. But look at it. It's yummy. That maple tint, the neck dimensions, black or "vintage" white... a brief moment of weakness and the deed was done.

I opened the box this afternoon, adjusted the truss rod a fraction and brought the saddles down a tiny bit... nice lowish action, it plays fantastic. It looks even better.

I was starting this thinking of "budget instruments today... nothing like they used to be, these are really good quality!" but of course, at £360 they're not exactly budget. Yes, that's still a lot cheaper than a Fender, but it's no longer the bottom of the range. However, the midrange instruments used to be decidedly "midrange", but some of the midrange instruments these days are just really really good!

I went to rehearsal this evening with this bass... and I loved it. The pickup is not exactly my favourite sound, but I'm really splitting hairs: it is good! Very good! It can get a little muddy or a little clanky, but I'm really being picky. There really is no need to replace anything in this bass.

Did I mention how good it looks too?

The neck is somewhere between my Classic 50 and the Maruszczyk Jake: reassuringly full, but not too much of a handful. Very nice profile. The finish is impeccable.

I still prefer the Classic 50, it sounds a little bit better, it's a little lighter and a little better balanced, although the neck on the Squier is a bit more comfy. Just a hair. But the Squier is a close second. Got a gig in Aberdeen this weekend, first time we play in that city. I'm bringing the Squier!

Pictures please.

You're right about mid-range basses though. I have a MIM Fender Precision that I picked up on here for £400 with an upgraded pick up. I can't find fault with the finish and feel. I wish I could have had instruments as good at the equivalent price point when I started out in the '60's. Cheap basses were just that for the most, cheap and nasty.

Totally agree with the OP and specially about the new Squiers.

I have the fretless P-Bass that was great out of the box, super light and really loud for a passive bass.

I decided to mod it to my specs, but just because I am a little picky too, and attached an All Parts fretted J neck and a KiOgon wiring kit.

The bass has greatly improved, but the stock version was very well put together and priced at only £299!

Squier is catching up with Fender and I would not hesitate to buy a modern one versus a pre-2008 MIM Fender standard.

I had the Squier P bass, Classic Vibe 60's in Fiesta Red
I only sold it cos I just felt I had too many basses

Instant regret!
Really should have held onto the bass
There was just something about the look & feel of the bass
Possibly the best P bass neck I've played - maybe only marginally
compared to my USA P bass, but it really felt so comfortable, and somehow, it also felt aged.....

As you say, it's being picky re the sound
To me, my Squier sounded typically P bass-like
but perhaps an upgraded set of pups may have improved the sound slightly

I keep looking around at them for sale second-hand
As I have too many, I really shouldn't - but I know if one came up at the right price
I'd be sorely tempted ;)

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1435195973' post='2806458']
Pictures please.

You're right about mid-range basses though. I have a MIM Fender Precision that I picked up on here for £400 with an upgraded pick up. I can't find fault with the finish and feel. I wish I could have had instruments as good at the equivalent price point when I started out in the '60's. Cheap basses were just that for the most, cheap and nasty.
[/quote]

My first electric guitar, bought used, fifth hand at least with severely grooved frets and generally being a pretty poor instrument cost me the equivalent of £25. In 1986 this was quite a bit of cash for me. The same guitar new cost about £100-120 at the time in the shops, so I thought it was a great deal. We dreamt of Fenders. But those were over £400. There was nothing in between, it was either crappy instruments (and not that cheap) or too expensive for our teenage pockets.

The friend who sold me that guitar did so because he had just bought a Squier. We didn't really know this "new" make. But it said "by Fender" so we thought it was awesome. He paid about £80 for it, second hand. It's one of the mythical JV series. He still has it and it's indeed a fine instrument. That was the beginning of the end of the truly crappy instruments. But it took a while until the low end became as good as it is now.

Pictures?

Ok, here's one, with its two other Precision siblings :)

That's the Squier Matt Freeman on the left, my fave Fender Classic 50 in the centre, and on the right the fabulous Maruszczyk Jake.

edit: October 2016.
That was a seriously sexy bass. But I had the Precision bases covered and I wanted a Jazz that played and felt as good as the Matt Freeman... so I did this:

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1435232640' post='2806741']
I had the Squier P bass, Classic Vibe 60's in Fiesta Red
I only sold it cos I just felt I had too many basses

Instant regret!
Really should have held onto the bass
There was just something about the look & feel of the bass
Possibly the best P bass neck I've played - maybe only marginally
compared to my USA P bass, but it really felt so comfortable, and somehow, it also felt aged.....

As you say, it's being picky re the sound
To me, my Squier sounded typically P bass-like
but perhaps an upgraded set of pups may have improved the sound slightly

I keep looking around at them for sale second-hand
As I have too many, I really shouldn't - but I know if one came up at the right price
I'd be sorely tempted ;)
[/quote]

Ah, I had one of those a while ago, Fiesta Red too. It was a great bass. However the rosewood fingerboard meant I eventually let it go (to buy a G&L L2000, natural/maple). The Matt Freeman is of similar quality, if not better.

I'm GASing pretty hard for a not-too-expensive P bass at the moment, and these are really pressing my buttons, thanks for posting.

The body looks slightly smaller than the 50s, or is that an illusion as you mentioned it's actually heavier? Or is the weight in the neck/headstock, as you said the balance isn't quite as good?

[quote name='ben4343' timestamp='1435308319' post='2807421']
I'm GASing pretty hard for a not-too-expensive P bass at the moment, and these are really pressing my buttons, thanks for posting.

The body looks slightly smaller than the 50s, or is that an illusion as you mentioned it's actually heavier? Or is the weight in the neck/headstock, as you said the balance isn't quite as good?
[/quote]

It's the same size, my phone's camera can distort shapes a bit at an angle.
I haven't checked the actual weight, it feels heavier than the Classic 50, but not much more. I would not be surprised to find there was very little difference. The neck feels a bit heavier to me than on the Classic 50. No neck dive in either, not even close... but it just feels a bit less balanced.
Bear in mind that I'm just struggling to find something to say that's not "fantastic!!!" about this bass ;) It really is nice. I love Precision necks and the Classic 50 is great. Wide and full but not too chunky. The Matt Freeman one is marginally narrower and a tiny bit shallower... it is very comfortable for me, and teh fret ends are all very nicely trimmed. The lacquered neck feels great...

Don't hesitate!
I prefer the Classic 50, but... at nearly twice the price is nowhere near twice as good. The Squier Matt Freeman works fine as it is, fully stock.

There's actually one for sale in this forum, for £250 I believe. The black one. I'm struggling to stay away from it, so I'd love it if somebody else took the temptation away, because that black and maple combination looks very classy ;)

I've mentioned this several times before but another time won't hurt; I've got both Matt Freeman Precisions. I picked up the black one at the end of November last year for £175 "used". It still had the plastic on the scratchplate, and came with a Fender gig bag that I've since found out cost about £50. Everything about that bass is immaculate, and I love the sound. I used it as my band bass for a few months until I got a vintage white one in April. It cost a bit more but came with a Seymour Duncan 1/4 Pounder that I removed and sold so the net cost was £240 (inc shipping!) It has a few dings and scuffs, and the neck pocket isn't quite as tidy as the black one (there's a slight gap on either side - a fag papers' width) but I'm happier to use it as I'm a bit less precious about it. The white one feels a lot heavier than the black one.

The necks on these are great. Took me a few days to get used to it as I'd been playing a P Bass with a Jazz-width neck but it's very comfortable to me now; wide and shallow to my hand. The pickups are really aggressive which suits me as I play in a hardcore band. We've not gigged yet but we've had a few people come in to listen to us as we practice and they all comment on how good the bass sounds. Both basses are totally stock and I've no inclination to mod anything. A lot of people talk about how good the top-end Squiers are for modding but as far as I'm concerned they're perfect as they are.

In an ideal world I'd like to do a CV/MF hybrid, with the Freeman neck and pickup on a Fiesta Red or Sonic Blue CV body to add to my arsenal but with the two I've got I don't feel I need anything else. My Peavey has barely been touched in the last 6 months and I'm tempted to flog it as it's totally surplus now.

As the thread title says - incredible!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1435332313' post='2807834']
There's actually one for sale in this forum, for £250 I believe. The black one. I'm struggling to stay away from it, so I'd love it if somebody else took the temptation away, because that black and maple combination looks very classy ;)
[/quote]

Yes, unfortunately I had noticed that: it has peaked my interest. I'm a bit of a sucker for white basses though, so I fear my heart would always lust for the VW colourway. I discovered today that there is a black one in the guitar shop 10 minutes walk away, so I suppose I have no excuse for wandering around there tomorrow and checking it out. The even more annoying thing is that it's the same price there as on Thomann, so if I like it I'm going to have to work quite hard not to impulse buy it. I'd rather give BassChat matey the dosh, but shipping to Norway might be a fair wallop, and I might want it now...

Bass out before bass in... Bass OUT before bass in...

Agree about all the good things said about these Squiers (MF and CV).
Ive got a CV P and Jazz, and find I have no lust or GAS for anything better in P or Jazz form, other than another Lakland Duck Dunn (4464c).
To me the necks on these Squiers can put anything to shame. Small perfectly seated frets, lovely gloss finish and perfect neck profiles. Actually. I'm not a lover of P necks, so the Cv Jazz neck ends up going on whatever bass I'm currently using. In fact I need to get another one at soe point.
I've been playing 5 string for almost the past year, but on earlier this week I dug the CVP out and Instantly the 5 strings have gone back in their bags.
I do have a Lakland JO neck on my CV Jazz, and as much as I love it I want a Squier CV jazz neck on that as well. As I'm playing my P bass now the original CV jazz neck is on that.

Now my one big, big issue about the CVP is the colour. I can't stand fiesta red. I struggle to even look at that bass. If it didn't sound and play so well I'd never use it. I'd like to get a Matt Freeman body to replace the CV body, but for now that's a bit extravigent.
I tried a VM PJ but never felt it was in the same league. It was nice and looked lovely but never had the heft the CV has. Not even with the same pup and even same neck on it.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1435483329' post='2809093']
Now my one big, big issue about the CVP is the colour. I can't stand fiesta red. I struggle to even look at that bass. If it didn't sound and play so well I'd never use it. I'd like to get a Matt Freeman body to replace the CV body, but for now that's a bit extravigent.
[/quote]

Ah, I'd love a Matt Freeman with the fiesta red or the sonic blue body of the CV Squiers! I'm sure I'm not the only one, so the opportunity for a trade would arise, I'm sure! :gas:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1435581342' post='2810190']
Ah, I'd love a Matt Freeman with the fiesta red or the sonic blue body of the CV Squiers! I'm sure I'm not the only one, so the opportunity for a trade would arise, I'm sure! :gas:
[/quote]

If you swapped the body, would it still be a Matt Freeman? ;)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1435483329' post='2809093']
Agree about all the good things said about these Squiers (MF and CV).
Ive got a CV P and Jazz, and find I have no lust or GAS for anything better in P or Jazz form.....
..... Actually. I'm not a lover of P necks, so the Cv Jazz neck ends up going on whatever bass I'm currently using. In fact I need to get another one at soe point.....

Now my one big, big issue about the CVP is the colour. I can't stand fiesta red. I struggle to even look at that bass. If it didn't sound and play so well I'd never use it.......
[/quote]

I wasn't a fan of P bass necks myself
Having owned an early 70's P - not only was the bass very heavy
but I found the neck far too chunky
Since the arrival of my RW Jazz and the CV P, I'm now completely sold on Fenders,
and have learned to love them again

I have a US P bass bought from another friendly BC'er,
and found the neck on this is nowhere near as chunky as my old 70's P

I didn't particularly like Fiesta Red as a colour either
that is, until I played a CV P
Now, with red Tort plate - I think it has become my favourite colour

I'm not particularly a fan of very glossy necks either
.... but the CV basses are glossy, but they feel very different
As I've mentioned before, they somehow feel vintage
Must get myself a CVP in Fiesta Red again,
and tell myself not to let it go this time :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1435270698' post='2807246']

My first electric guitar, bought used, fifth hand at least with severely grooved frets and generally being a pretty poor instrument cost me the equivalent of £25. In 1986 this was quite a bit of cash for me. The same guitar new cost about £100-120 at the time in the shops, so I thought it was a great deal. We dreamt of Fenders. But those were over £400. There was nothing in between, it was either crappy instruments (and not that cheap) or too expensive for our teenage pockets.

The friend who sold me that guitar did so because he had just bought a Squier. We didn't really know this "new" make. But it said "by Fender" so we thought it was awesome. He paid about £80 for it, second hand. It's one of the mythical JV series. He still has it and it's indeed a fine instrument. That was the beginning of the end of the truly crappy instruments. But it took a while until the low end became as good as it is now.

Pictures?

Ok, here's one, with its two other Precision siblings :)

That's the Squier Matt Freeman on the left, my fave Fender Classic 50 in the centre, and on the right the fabulous Maruszczyk Jake.

[/quote]Love the thumbrests behind the pup.
Where did you get them or did you build them?

[quote name='lee4' timestamp='1435583784' post='2810237']
Love the thumbrests behind the pup.
Where did you get them or did you build them?
[/quote]

The original one was steel. It came attached with double-sided sticky tape (strong stuff, and leave no mark when removed!) on the pickguard of a OLP Stingray I used to have... the previous owner put it where a Precision pickup would be. I have been transferring that rest to Jazz and Precision basses ever since... but at roughly the Stingray pickup position ;)

The ones here are copies of that original one. There was a thread about thumb rests a while ago, and a few people liked this one, so I scanned it and made a PDF design of it. Another BC member had access to a laser cutting facility and made a bunch of them in black acrylic, to order. We ended up paying something like £3 for each. I should have ordered more, I underestimated how many more basses I'd want these things on! :lol:

From time to time I think of making more, but unless it's a biggish order the cost is too high. Not worth it for just 3 or 4.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1435581661' post='2810199']
If you swapped the body, would it still be a Matt Freeman? ;)
[/quote]

Im not really sure what makes it a Matt Freeman sig model anyway, other than the name on the headstock. I mean, its a standard P bass as far as i can see. Also, im pretty sure he only plays it in one colour, so the other colour is just there to help sell the bass IMO.
Not that im complaining, i just cant figure out what makes it special.

Im not a lover of P necks, but as has been mentioned already, the CV necks have a certain feel that makes them very comfortable to play, and the smaller frets really add the icing to the cake for me. When i picked my CVP up after a year of playing 5 strings i loved how narrow the neck felt. It took me a while to realise it still had its original neck on it. Now it has the Jazz neck its easily my Fav bass (other than the colour still).

Ive been tempted to look for a trade, but also tempted to just buy a MF and sell off the neck. Saying that, if i got the White/Maple version then id probably use it like that as well. gotta love that combo. I wish Squier would bring out something with a maple jazz neck in the CV line. I did have a VM but never really liked it. The neck felt a lot cheaper than the CV necks and the frets were bigger.

I have ordered one too. I ordered a white one, they delivered a black one yesterday. The box even said vintage white. I called the shop and they should deliver one tomorrow. Another day wasted waiting, hopefully itll e worth it. How do I set up the bass. Never set one up.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1435670974' post='2811215']
I have ordered one too. I ordered a white one, they delivered a black one yesterday. The box even said vintage white. I called the shop and they should deliver one tomorrow. Another day wasted waiting, hopefully itll e worth it. How do I set up the bass. Never set one up.
[/quote]

Well what needs setting up? Is it not playable out of the box?