Why become a member? ×

Any one else obsessed by backups?

randythoades

This is the thing. I am obsessed by making sure I have a backup of all of my musical equipment, even equipment that I don't really use... I have spent a big effort this year getting my credit card back to zero. Achieved it last week, and then last night found the exact same bass as the one I usually use on eBay over in the US. Kerching! Buy It Now and bass on it's way... credit card back in use.

But why?

I currently have 7 basses. Two home made Precision (one as backup), and 2 Aria TSB 350 (one as backup), and 2 Aria CSB 380 (one as backup) plus my main bass which is an Aria 1420b violin bass (backup on it's way). I rarely use the TSB or CB Arias as they are too heavy for me to play live a I have a problem with my shoulder, so I only play at home with them but still feel the need for a backup.
I have the same for guitars 2 strats, 2 teles, 2 Ibanez, 2 acoustics. And a similar thing with cables with backups of the backups. I actually have a backups case for cables which I take to rehearsals but leave in the car 'just in case...' even though I only buy top quality cables and already take at least one backup cable in my main case.

Thing is, I have never had a cable or guitar go down on me, but still feel the need of the safety net. Anyone else in this predicament? Or do you just fly by the wind, what will be will be?

I reckon that's somewhere between senisible and OCD....

I would ideally like to carry a back up of everything to gigs but in reality 90% of the work I do is in London and I need to travel to gigs on public transport so I have to keep my kit to the absolute minimum. Spare strings instead of a spare bass, spare fuses etc instead of a backup amp.

However I will have some gigs coming up on guitar for the first time in the next few months and I reckon I could get a double gigbag and cary two easy enough as they are so much smaller and lighter.

Edited by CamdenRob

I have two basses, one jazz and one precision, and only ever really touch one at a gig. The other is there as a 'backup' in case a string goes or some wiring goes but it has never happened.

I do keep spare strings, screwdrivers, allen wrenches and tape etc in my gig bag which some people think is a bit odd but I suppose that is my form of security in case anything goes wrong at a gig.

I have never come accross anyone who has a backup guitar/bass for ones they dont play live and dont really use but if it makes you happy dont worry about it. From my perspective it seems a bit obsessive and if it was me I would sell a few of them but money in my bank makes me happier than a house full of guitars.

I have recently (last 5years) started taking a spare bass to gigs after a catastrophic failure.

I have spare strings, a spare instrument lead and a spare power lead.

I also have a DI box so I can play via the mixer in the event of my amp dying.

That's it.

Oops about the 'backup' posts! Too ready on the mouse clicking!! :P

Backup partners? Difficult road to start down I think. I am very happy with the one I have, of course.

I think it must be getting OCD like with the guitars though. I have no real need for all of them. All of them were my main instrument for a time, hence the backups, but as I moved on to other instruments (as you do), I could never bring myself to lose the backup too. I might just have to trim the herd and sell both main and backup versions at the same time to stop the palpitations and sweating palms... Then when I get another new one I will just have to get 2.

As they say, 'fail to plan, plan to fail'. I am very conscious now that if I don't take the backup, then something will go boom... :unsure:

[font=Calibri][size=4]
[size=4]Backups of gear? No. But then I don’t play live ;)[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=4]
[size=4]Backups of music projects on my computer? Oh yes… at least three of each, one batch kept on a portable hard drive that comes with me on holiday.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=4]
[size=4]Just because you’re paranoid, don’t mean they’re not after you.[/size][/size][/font]

I'm not sure that you need backups of every bass. After all, isn't a backup by definition something that you probably won't need but will be good enough if called upon? I'd have thought that once you own more than one usable bass you're covered. But then I have my own OCD in that I'm obsessed with travelling light at all times...

Do you have backups for the backups ? Now that would be OCD 😁

Computer and recording stuff yes, anything else no. It'd be too much to carry around and store, and too expensive.

I saw a photo on Peter Gabriel's Facebook page yesterday, he runs 3 backup hard drives whilst recording.

As soon as someone else is relying on what you do you need 2 of everything.

If you gig, or play with others, you should cover yourself, cos stuff happens.

I carry the last set of strings I took off the bass, just in case, and I have never broken a string. In fact, the last time I had a breakdown on a gig was the last time I used tubes.

I always take two basses, though I'll often play one set with one and have a change for the other set, tho sometimes not. Either way, I've got a backup. I have a DI box in case my amp goes. I do have spare strings, but only because I keep my strings in my gigbag. Oh, and about 27 picks....

One bass for gigging, that's it. Spare strings (old ones) in the case, never broken a string in 20 years. Di box in case amp dies (that's happened a few times!)
If the axes dies, well thats it for the gig i guess (unless the landlords got a spare) but hasn't happened yet!
Cant much go wrong with a passive really, nothing a screwdriver and the drummers soldering iron coudn't fix on the night!

Edited by skidder652003

When I used to play guitar in a band, I bought a double-guitar gig bag and never looked back! Out of 100+ gigs, the back-up guitar came in handy maybe 5-6 times, but it was worth it. I guess I also alternated the two guitars in tour (ideally you'd want them to be similar enough not to have change EQ on amps etc).....

For bass, I would say it is less important to have back-ups for live shows. Over the same 100+ gigs, our bassist never needed to use his back-up, which he brought only sometimes anyway!

It's as well you don't play drums. Spare snare..? Spare heads..? Spare hi-hats..? Spare stands..? Spare complete kit..?
No, there's a medical element in such an obsession for which I'm not qualified to comment, although there's a underlying confidence issue, I'd say. In practical terms, as long as there's a spare bass, any bass, no-one would notice as long as the show goes on, so, to paraphrase (with apologies...)...

[i]One Spare to rule them all, One Spare to find them,[/i]
[i]One Spare to bring them all and in the darkness bind them[/i]

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1435225358' post='2806629']
If you haven't broken a string at a gig and then tuned back up and carried on playing on three strings for the rest of the set until you can tie a knot in the end of the broken one and put it back on in the break between sets.... then you haven't lived. :lol:
[/quote]

I broke a machine head on the E string on the opening number of a NYE gig. Spent one verse of the next song moving all the strings up a machine head.

The rest of the night was not easy.

I take a spare bass.

I take a spare bass - if I'm not taking two main basses, I'll stick the Hohner B2AV in the car. A bass is a bass, I can happily play anything in our set with either a fretted or a fretless bass (although I do prefer fretless for a couple of songs) so I can use anything for backup. I've also got a backup bass amp (small and lives under the passenger seat of the car) and I use two 1x12s, plus I've got a few spare leads in case the wireless or some other lead packs up.

i think it's getting to the point of obsession when you are backing up basses that you know you can't really use live because they're too heavy.

IMO it's definitely worth having a 2nd or 3rd bass so you can take 2 to a gig in case you have a failure. It's also worth having some sensible spares etc. because it's horrible if you're playing a gig and something goes and you're out of the game.

But backing up back up basses that you can't even use live is a step too far because if you're not using them live, why do you need a back up?