Why become a member? ×

Any one else obsessed by backups?

randythoades

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1435360217' post='2808199']
So, looks like I'm the only one who has drum sticks, box of assorted plectrums, a hi-hat top clamp, a Vox Satchurator pedal, a spare SM58 and 9-42 guitar strings in the car, apart from all my bass gear. Every one of these items has been forgotten at some point by the others in the band. :huh:
[/quote]

[Robert Robinson] Ah, but is that that which they will be forgetting [i]next[/i], eh..? There's the rub..! ([i]Taps side of nose[/i]...) [/Robert Robinson]

I am terrible for it, back up bass, back up amp, back up mike, countless leads..but what the hey, I am the bass player I keep the band up and running, if/when something fails it is me that fixes it away from the gigs so I may as well do it at the gigs. Looked in the bottom of my leads case I take out live and found an unused set of electric guitar strings still there and I haven't played guitar in a band for a good few years!

I guess if I take a spare I am less likely to need it, but it equals less stress

All those who simply take spare strings along lack 'disaster imagination'. Luthiers are kept in business by smashed headstocks (most likely to happen at gigs when klutzes are blundering around your gear) and flakey electrics (one moment you're playing the next fizzle-pop-nothing). I had a machinehead snap off at rehearsal once, could have gone home for a spare but we were almost done so just transposed onto the remaining strings. Spare also gives you the option if #1 bass sounds thin/boomy/wrong to try another bass. Often works for me.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1435336849' post='2807899']I wonder if classical orchestra musicians carry backup instruments?
[/quote]

Classical orchestras carry backup musicians plus instruments. String quartets have more of a problem.

Loads of spare and alternate cabling , connectors and adaptors , last gig we were able to put the hosts lappy through the PA , with a lash up , and they were chuffed, but if I had a catastrophic bass failure , I would go to the bar and watch the rest of the set from there :)

Spare everything on my main band gigs - leads / strap / amp / bass / strings / batteries etc. along with fuses & toolkit. Only thing not duplicated is my cab, but as it's a 4x10 then if a speaker went I could probably still manage, or just DI into the PA. It's a piece of mind thing with me, probably (hopefully) never need any of it but could really mess up the gig for everyone if anything went wrong.
Pub gig near home then just spares of the smaller stuff.

[quote name='randythoades' timestamp='1435679810' post='2811374']
Gig Saturday night.
Needed: spare amp as powered monitor failed. Check.
Needed: spare strap as guitarist strap broke. Check.
Needed: extra mic cables as run back to PA longer than expected. Check.

I feel vindicated. :D
[/quote]

... and rightly so. You'll be chuffed, too, when your drummer needs your spare snare bed, and the singer finishes the set thanks to your cough sweets. Do you have a 'spare' spare tyre for when you get that second puncture..? Silly question; of course you have..! :rolleyes:
;) :lol: :P

I think there can be a very thin line between contingency planning and OCD! My live rig includes a spare bass, a few spare leads, batteries, strings and a decent selection of tools. Plus the most important addition to any muso's kitbag- duct tape, plenty of duct tape!

I've 2 cabs, and can play on if one fails. The chance of both going is remote enough for me not to worry.ive a relatively new amp and always kept previous amps serviced regularly. If it goes, I can run a DI from my pedal board. I can change strings relatively quickly and can improv on three strings until the song ends if necessary.

The spare bass is a relatively recent addition to my gigs; I'm lucky enough not to have had any major disasters yet, at least nothing that couldn't be solved by liberal application of the aforementioned tape. I've even jerry-rigged a perfectly usable strap from the stuff on one occasion!

One question though- isn't bringing spares for the rest of the band allowing them to abdicate their own responsibilities? I've yet to play with a guitarist who didn't have at least a spare axe, new strings and leads. Most drummers will bring plenty of sticks, heads etc. Ours even brings spare cymbals, hi hat stand and kick drum pedal just in case. I wouldn't dream of expecting anyone else to bring spare bass strings- that's my responsibility, not theirs

I've taken 2 basses to a gig once and swapped half way just to feel like there was a point. Since then one has always been enough and I know it's solid enough that it wont go wrong. I wouldn't dare gig an active bass without a passive switch though.

Well, if the TSB's & CB's are too heavy and don't get used, then sell them. Kind of pointless having gear laying about unused.

I have had "backup-ophobia" before, but only have backup guitars now, usually in different tuning these days too. Not too worried about getting a backup amp, as I have a Zoom B3 that can be DI'd if needed, though I do carry a backup PSU for it.

I agree about the Arias. I have decided to sell the backups and maybe just keep the first ones to use at home. I did take 4 guitars to a gig once and felt the need to change halfway through each set and at our break. Someone asked why I changed - different tunings? problems? different strings? Nope, I said, all set up the same, simple reason is: because I can... I was young, foolish and arrogant. Now just old and foolish. :D

[quote name='randythoades' timestamp='1435679810' post='2811374']
Gig Saturday night.
Needed: spare amp as powered monitor failed. Check.
Needed: spare strap as guitarist strap broke. Check.
Needed: extra mic cables as run back to PA longer than expected. Check.

I feel vindicated. :D
[/quote]

Ok. How can a strap be ok in the morning of a gig and then snap during the gig?

I admire your standpoint and I have been there but you're (possibly) playing with a guitarist who is not looking after his own gear or not checking it. Sooner or later his gear will catastrophically fail and the band will be looking at you to get them out of a hole. Trust me on that.

Who looks after the PA? Why don't they have spare leads? That's a fundamental failing.

Seriously, I was carrying so many extra boxes it was unreal, extra trips to the car and storage at my house. After I left the band I was still getting calls on Saturday night asking what they should do because X had broken. Madness.

Edited by TimR

Ah well, guitarist says that the 'hole' has been fraying for a couple of weeks, then tore through on the first song of the first set. I could have gaffer taped it. The keyboard player looks after the PA generally but I have 'taken over' with leads and stands etc as there is never the right stuff to do the job properly. Saturday was just a case of the stage being bigger than I thought and in my OCD like frame of mind, I don't like cables running across the stage so route them round the back to keep them neat.
I completely agree on some though, it does frustrate me that in general they don't look after their own gear but I have taken on a role such as a road manager. I have the stuff, have the responsibility and then don't get disappointed

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1435336849' post='2807899']I wonder if classical orchestra musicians carry backup instruments?[/quote]

The stringed musicians will be carrying spare bows and strings. The reed instruments will all have spare reeds. The brass section will probably have a selection of mouthpieces. Not sure how many of them will have a whole backup instrument, but I've worked with a number of trumpeters who carried more than one trumpet around with them all the time. With orchestral instruments being acoustic, there is much less to go wrong, bar sitting on them.