Why become a member? ×

Amp/ Speaker reviews

Kevin Dean

I've just seen a great review on a couple of Barefaced cabs by Dan Veall . Dan used several styles. & had the cabs mic'd up .Why don't other manufactures do this instead just relying on crap you tube clips done on someones phone or some guy just showing of & not demonstrating the range of sound ?

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1435230691' post='2806702']
I've just seen a great review on a couple of Barefaced cabs by Dan Veall . Dan used several styles. & had the cabs mic'd up .Why don't other manufactures do this instead just relying on crap you tube clips done on someones phone or some guy just showing of & not demonstrating the range of sound ?
[/quote]

Amen brother! Proper reviews please!!

Nawww shucks!!! :blush:

Thank you very much for the kind words. I do try and in honesty there's so much I would like to offer in my reviews but there are certain limitations as you can imagine. (Time/Costs/Space etc) I hope that therefore what I do get over is helpful and worthy! One thing I try not to do is shred or unseat the viewer by fulfilling an ego trip or anything like that. I mean, I could treat you to a ten minute prog bass solo in 13/8 but that is definitely not what demos and reviews should be in my view.

I love bass gear and I love doing reviews - I could play with this kit all day every day!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1435230691' post='2806702']
[/quote]

Well personally I don't buy bass cabs for anything other than to provide live sound reinforcement, the sound of the cab directly to ear is the only thing that matters, hearing it through another speaker doesn't tell me anything useful, kind of like watching an advert for a TV ... on another TV.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1435432218' post='2808795']
Well personally I don't buy bass cabs for anything other than to provide live sound reinforcement, the sound of the cab directly to ear is the only thing that matters, hearing it through another speaker doesn't tell me anything useful, kind of like watching an advert for a TV ... on another TV.
[/quote]

I do take your point there - indeed in some reviews I've spoken about the limitations of the medium we are using. However, the reviews aren't just about how a piece of equipment sounds. Those watching are interested in feature set, ease of use, functionality and in the case of a bass for example, how it feels to play.

No one can tell you what you are hearing and how you feel about an instrument, so ultimately it's about getting out and trying it for yourself, But for those who want to start doing a bit of research, I guess it's not a bad place to start? :)