Why become a member? ×

Elixir Strings - user feedback

ped

Got my strings a few weeks ago and decided to put them on my Musicman. I was a bit apprehensive at first because I use a drop d-tuner and I thought that the set I received (super light) which are 40 - 95 wouldn't be able to cope with it.
Once on I found that they felt very sleek underhand and made the neck feel a lot faster than it did with my old strings. Then the big test came. How would the E cope when dropped to D and I was pleasantly surprised. I dropped the tuner to D expected a lot of flap and farty bass sound but it coped incredibly well with it. Not much flap at all and quite a nice round sound rather than a rattling fart that I've had with other bass strings.

They don't appear to be as bright as my usual brand of string but that's not to much of a problem either.

My only real criticism, if that's what it is, is that it seems to take a lot longer to stretch the strings than normal. This isn't a bad thing. I've just got to spend a bit more time stretching once I've put new ones on which isn't that much of a big deal.

I've hammered them through rehearsals and a few gigs and they still sound as they did when I first put them on which quite amazing.

All in all a great brand of string for me and I'll probably use them again in the future although I'll probably go up a gauge.

Cheers

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1436700994' post='2819998']

I'd love to see some distinctively coloured silk wraps on them - just for cosmetics and to easily spot which basses I've put Elixirs on.

[/quote] I used Elixirs for a while till I changed to DR neons, just for the visual impact, they look really good under stage lighting, but that's the only reason I changed, the early sets I used flaked where I hit them with my pick, but the later ones didn't seem to have this problem, last for ages, well worth the extra cost

I must be the very last one to put the strings on the guitar. Sorry, it was work, rehearsal, things around the house so the word always was "tomorrow". But finally my holiday has arrived and the strings are ON the Squier vintage modified jazz bass. Candy apple red for who's interested. I chose stainless steel ones. I once had steel ones and I had a good memory about that sound for the music I currently play. So I decided that now that I was given the chance I would go for stainless steel again now that Elixir is so kind as to let me try theirs.

One thing that inmediately struck me was that good sound of stainless steel strings. When cleaning them with a cloth after playing you notice they have a sleeker feel. You don't feel those ribbles/winds as much. Must be the coating. So I am happy with them but they are new. Now, this batch of strings will have some battle in the near future. I am working on a piece of experimental music with a bandmate for an art exhibition. This will involve, drumming on the strings, scratch them with the nails, playing them with a pick and last but not least with a slide. With all the rehearsals that entails. So there. Now I am really curious how long they will last. If Elixir is right even with a bit of punishment you won't hear from me for some time now. Maybe this IS a bit of a weird thread as far as that goes. Everybody gets strings and then it is supposed to fall silent for a looooong time. Because what is to be written about things that function well? I will try to say something about it in between things though.

I use various strings across my basses. I have Elixirs on my Overwater 6er fretless and my Warwick Thumb and as stated by Grangur they give the Warwick a nicer rounded growl. I use them until coating starts to peel but tone remains pretty stable throughout. I find them a little more tension than my Overwater, DAddario or Fender nickel strings but not enough to bother me. I feel as though i can move faster on them too but again not sure if that's my imagination or not.

The main benefit for me is length of time they last and the steady tone over that long period. I've had sets on basses for 2-3yrs altho not basses i use on a regular basis and never gigged basses.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the Nickels onto my Star Bass last week and have gigged them twice since then.

They replaced a set of Status Nylon Flats, so understandably sound very bright and felt a bit gnarly but I soon got used to them. One use was at a Jam Evening and a well respected local Bassist I know played my Bass for a few numbers and it was nice to be at the back of the room and hear them from afar.

Interestingly they went on my Star Bass with no tweaks of saddle or relief required and whilst they sound "new" and are not my preferred "dull thud", the coating feels good and seems to cut down on rattles and finger noise.

Once I have a few more sessions under my fingers with these I shall update.....

OK, I've used these Elixirs (Stainless, Light/Medium 45-105s) for a few weeks now, through plenty of gigs and a few rehearsals, so I feel I can comment properly.

Firstly, the environment: they've been on my Shuker, which is by far my preferred bass - walnut body, maple neck, brass nut and has two split-coil pickups and a John East U-Retro. I play in a function band, an originals band and a Very Metal pub band, so the spread of of songs and tones required is pretty wide, from Johnny Cash to Luther Vandross to Guns and Roses to Bruno Mars to Metallica to Paul Simon to Stevie Wonder to Sabbath to The Dubliners to...well, you get the picture. I play pick and fingers, with some slap when I have to, but I'd say 80% pick. I use a Jim Dunlop .88 Nylon pick. The strings replaced a set of DR Stainless Lo-Riders, but I've also used D'Addario XL Stainless and even Ernie Ball Stainless Hybrids on this bass, all the same 45-105 gauge.

Tension - I like a higher tension string, and though they're not as high tension as the D'Addarios, they're not far off the DRs, and a nice compromise without being overly high.

Feel - I've used coated strings before (DRs, Warwick EMP and earlier Elixirs) and never really liked the too-slick, almost-slimy feel of the low-friction coatings: just too much. Again, though, these new Elixirs seem to have addressed this: the coating is definitely there - you notice the lack of string noise when moving along the strings, but they don't feel slippy in a bad way.

Tone - All a bit personal and relative, but I'm really liking them on this bass. They don't have the hissy end of extreme zing that new stainless roundwounds have (at least for the first few days/weeks), but they have a more musical top end which, importantly, stays with them. They have a piano tone (on this bass) with smooth mids and a firm bottom end, which doesn't flab out. There's no noticeable 'bedding in' period - they still sound today (see Durability below) pretty much exactly the same as they did when they went on.

Durability - When I've used coated strings before (again, the DRs, Warwicks and earlier Elixirs) the coating hasn't lasted long before it's started to wear off, especially at the bridge end under the pick, and once it started to go, it frayed very quickly, even to the point of looking like Spanish moss hanging off the strings. It also wore down over the frets, especially down in the first position. This was more noticable with the coloured coated strings, but it was there with all of them. The new Elixirs have lasted through eight hot, sweaty gigs (2 x 1hr sets) plus three four-hour rehearsals, and I'd say 30 hours bedroom practice/learning, so that'd be pushing 60 hours of playing, without any signs of the coating wearing at all - and I've had a good close look. I honestly didn't expect them to last this long without wear - I don't exactly baby the bass: I have a pretty heavy touch.

String Length - The only downside I've found with them is I would've loved to try them on my Dingwall, but unlike the D'Addarios or DRs, they reduce in diameter pretty quickly beyond the 35" mark, so I can't get them on my Dingwall because by the time the E and A get over the nut, they're down two steps in the winding, which will make them far too low in the nut. They don't make another scale length in them, either, so I'd imagine (tho I haven't checked) if you were using a through-body stringing setup, you'd be in the same position. Something to bear in mind. They don't have silk windings, which is a big plus for me, as I've had bridge issues with silks and had to trim them back too many times before now.

So, to sum up - they're an expensive option, that's obvious: pretty much twice the price of some of the non-coated strings they're replacing - but I'm now sure they'll last far more than twice the time, and, more importantly, the tone they'll produce will be far more consistent over that time, rather then the decay in brightness which is normal with stainless rounds. And that's speaking as a pick player: I'm sure finger players will get even more out of them, as they'll probably get an easier life. If you've never tried coated strings, or even if you've tried them before and been put off, like I was, by the too-slick feel and visible wear, I'd say give these a try - they're a great string, and you might well like them, and even save some money in the long term.

Edited by Muzz

non winner review - been using Elixirs since 2007 when i bought my Ibanez SR500 as they are standard kit on their basses. The early versions of the strings did tend to fray overy the pickups (picking area) and i only occasionally use a pick, the more recent versions i've had are lasting alot better. I love the feel and the fact that the tone stays there for ALOT longer than any other string i have used, particularly the top end but not lacking in low end either, they also have a nice bit of growl to them. I dont practice that much due to time constraints so i can eaasily get 9 months + out of a set. As said elsewhere string noise minimal as i rattle and they are nice and smooth without being too slick. Yep they are expensive but if you factor in how many sets youd get through of uncoated strings in the time you get out of the Elixirs then you actually save money.
No brainer really, best strings i've used.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had them going for a good while now, and have put words in a pattern on a page that [url="http://www.stteachinguk.com/blog/gear-review-elixir-nanoweb-bass-strings"]looks like this.[/url]

TL;DR - I find the new breed have better clarity, and feel much more natural on touch then they have before. Still continue to be my strings to go to, so much so that without them I may as well be playing a different bass.

I won a set in a similar competition run on bass guitar magazine and previously was a Roto fan and a Bass boomer user - BUT - I was really impressed by these strings - the tone is great just the right amount of zing and depth.

They have lasted really well too as I normally change my strings once a month maximum, depending how many gigs etc but these have kept their sound for longer so it seems their claim is true.

I haven't noticed much change in the feel other than a little smoother.

The only thing I don't like is the price as they are significantly more expensive than other strings but I suppose if they last longer it may balance out?

Rick

I've used the Nanowebs a few times. On the upside, I love the tension, they last for ages without any distinct drop in tone and are very easy on the fingers. Towards the end of their usable life (speaking as a pick player) things do start to get a bit ugly down the bridge end as the coating shows signs of deterioration and flaking, but that said those strings have been on for about six months and they still sound good.

The only downside is that cost pretty much double what I'd expect to pay for a set of D'Adarrio or Dunlop strings.

Edited by NancyJohnson

[size=4][font=Helvetica]It has been almost two months since I got a lovely package in the post from Elixir, and I feel its a good time to finally write some feedback. I was sent a 4 string set of 45-100 Nickel strings and as an added bonus I also a T-Shirt which was very kind of them, it was even the right size![/font]

[attachment=199432:IMG_2041.jpg]

[font=Helvetica]I am most definately not complaining, but the set I was sent was 4 string and at the moment I am down to two 5 string basses so I needed to buy myself a B string. This was not an issue as I basically got a whole set of Elixirs for £12…BARGAIN! As I was ordering a single string, I thought why not get another full set of the new Elixirs to go on the other bass so I can trial them on a 5 string Precision and Jazz and really get a good feel for them.[/font]

[font=Helvetica]So far they have done 11 practices and 7 gigs with me spending around 60% of the time on the Precision. I will break down my thoughts into a few basic headings:[/font]

[font=Helvetica][b]Feel:[/b] I am not a stranger to Elixirs as I have used them on acoustic guitar and bass before, so I knew they were going to feel pretty slick and smooth under the fingers. I may be imagining it but I thought the new coating felt a little bit smoother than the previous and this sounds strange, but they felt a bit softer. I love smooth strings and have used Nickel Ernie Ball slinky's and Dunlop super-bright strings a lot, which I find very comfortable under the fingers.[/font]

[font=Helvetica][b]Tension: [/b]As I mentioned previously I have been using Dunlop and Ernie Ball strings most recently so its easiest to compare the Elixir strings to those as they are fresher in my mind. To me the Elixirs sit somewhere in-between both brands, with the Dunlop’s being lower in tension and Ernie Ball’s being slightly more taut. To be honest it didn’t really effect me, all three feel great on a 34” scale bass even on a B string.[/font]

[font=Helvetica][b]Sound:[/b] I put new sets straight on both of my basses which both previously had Dunlop super-bright strings which had been on for a couple of months. Brand new they are bright as you would expect but they didn’t have the super bright clean ‘zing’ the Dunlops had. This isn't a criticism at all, I found the Dunlops great for slap but a little too bright for me as I am 99% of the time a finger style player. [/font]

[font=Helvetica]The Elixir’s have a very clear but warm top end to them, very musical with none of the horrible ‘zing’ I often get. I also found that compared to a lot of new strings they had a more prominent mid range, which is another winner in my book. I don't like the ‘scooped’ sound I often have to put up with from new strings, and often find it takes a couple of days for other strings to break in to the point I am getting the sound I am after. Sadly the string usually deteriorates shortly after I get the ideal tone and then I am back to replacing or occasionally boiling my strings to get my tone back.[/font]

[font=Helvetica]On the B string (and others come to mention it) the bass is fantastic but not flabby in any way on my basses. The B string is defined and full and well balanced in tone and feel with the other strings. I have found with other string brand in the past that E-G have a sound of their own and the B sounds like it from a different set, usually dull and thud in comparison.[/font]

[font=Helvetica][b]Lifespan/Durability: [/b]This is what Elixirs and other coated strings are all about, durability and extended life of string and tone. They are not cheap strings so inevitably the question most people may ask themselves is, do I buy 2-3 sets of ‘normal’ strings, or one set of Elixirs. Before I answer I will have to discuss the unpleasant topic of sweat. [/font]

[font=Helvetica]I play a lot of clubs, bars and marquees which have recently all been very hot. I also seem to have incredibly destructive sweat and have on occasion killed a set of strings after a week and two gigs on a bass. I am lucky that my various bands are getting work but the money is tight especially when you play in an 11 piece soul band. Replacing strings regularly is not an option as it eats up my gig money, so I have tolerated dead strings on gigs because I just cant afford to keep replacing sets.[/font]

[font=Helvetica]As I mentioned, the strings have done 11 practices and 7 gigs now and they are performing exceptionally well. I can honestly say I have noticed only a slight drop in the top end of the strings but they are still incredibly bright and give a lovely slap tone without too much of a metallic ‘clank’ when you pluck. The tone is full and clear as it was when they went on and I have on occasion still rolled the tone off on the bass to reduce the top end for some tunes.[/font]

[font=Helvetica]I know some people have questioned how the coating holds up to playing with a plectrum and whilst I am not a heavy pick player and only play 4 songs in a set with a plectrum, I it hasn't had any effect on the coating yet. I did notice some fraying of the coating on older sets and that was just from finger style (although over a long period) so this hints at the coating being stronger which may be good news to some heavier pick players.[/font]

[font=Helvetica][b]Conclusions:[/b] For my situation and applications Elixirs do exactly what they say. The lifespan seems superb so far and I look forward to seeing how well they do further down the line. The tone, after an initial small decline in top end, has remained steady and consistent which is more than I can say for other strings I have used. [/font]

[font=Helvetica]I would most definately be looking at replacing at least one set of strings on my basses by now if I had been using Ernie Balls or Dunlops. With that in mind the cost has balanced out against what I would have spend on other brands of strings, and if they can last a few more gigs and weeks of practicing ,I am confident in saying that for me at least, they are more economical in the long run than other non coated strings. [/font]

[font=Helvetica]These are great strings, they last longer than other brands, the tone is more to my liking and far far more consistent over time and across the bass, and it looks like they are actually going to save me money in the long run. Its easy to be swayed and say nice things when people give you free things but honestly if I had been unimpressed I would not have gone to the effort of making all this up just to make Elixir feel better about their product. As it stand though, at least from me they should be very proud of what they have developed.[/font][/size]

Edited by NJE

I've recently put a set of 45-100 nickel on my SB1000, just about played in now and I have to say i'm really impressed. Tension is a fraction less than the D'Addarios that were on, but not massively different judging by the way the neck reacted. They do feel "softer" though, and a little faster, much quieter and the tone is lovely and fat, no harsh treble, very even response. Remains to be seen how they last, but I'd happily pay the extra just for the way they feel, play and sound. I'm a convert!

I've used elixir's on my electric guitars for many years now and I rate those highly. I;ve never tried them on bass but this week I recently two sets of elixir 5 string bass sets 45 - 130 that I bought on line and plan to put them on my all maple bass before my next gig to see how well I get on with them.

Strung my bass up with some last night and my first impressions are.
a) Not as bright sounding as my usual D'addario's which is ok for reggae.
b} Much smoother feel and not like the sandpaper feel that I usually experience with new strings.
c) I may be mistaken but they feel like they have less tension than my normal strings which isn't a problem

Have a band rehearsal tomorrow so I should get a better idea of what they will sound like live.

I've asked them if they do (or are planning to do...) a high 'C' for fretless 6-string (30 gauge or the like..?), but haven't had a reply yet. If I can get a whole set I'll buy 'em, as they seem good for what I need from a bass, judging from the feedback so far here. I'll be back if I get a reply...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1441763739' post='2861595']
I've asked them if they do (or are planning to do...) a high 'C' for fretless 6-string (30 gauge or the like..?), but haven't had a reply yet. If I can get a whole set I'll buy 'em, as they seem good for what I need from a bass, judging from the feedback so far here. I'll be back if I get a reply...
[/quote]

They do a medium gauge C (0.032) in Nickel, part no. 15332

I've contacted them for their stainless steel series... I told them that I was sad that they didn't come in 6 string (at least I was sad that they didn't have a high C in stainless steel), and they told me that they were in the middle of making their products "even", and that it should be available in the future.

I'd like that for their acoustic strings as well, but I'm not sure they will, as they don't even have a low B in acoustic strings for bass...

I'm very very happy about their strings, and I love them. :)

One of the qualities Elixir play on is their supposed longevity compared to other brands/types. So I am going to be conducting a more long-term test, i.e. I will report back properly in a few months' time rather than give a short-term sitrep. Suffice to say that they've lasted three rehearsals and two gigs so far without any deterioration to speak of, which is what I'd expect of my usual strings! Watch this space :lol:

Edited by UglyDog

Reply this morning...

[color=#800080][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Dear Douglas,[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Thanks for your interest in Elixir® Strings and for taking the time to[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]write us.[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]We have passed your request along to the product development team located[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]in the U.S.A.[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]We do not have immediate plans to add a high C stainless string.[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]However we rely heavily on player feedback for our future product[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]development efforts and will keep your request on file.[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Thanks for your understanding![/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Kind regards,[/size][/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Christine Kaerger[/size][/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Elixir® Strings[/size][/font][/color]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3] [/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Yes, I forgot to mention the SS part; maybe a set of Nickels whilst waiting, or a mixed set of SS with a nickel 'C'..? Hmm... :unsure:[/size][/font]

That's weird. Their french speaking team told me that were actually revising their product list and adding the high C to their stainless steel sets.

Here in french, and after that, a translation:

[quote][color=#444444]En effet, nous n'avons actuellement pas encore de corde en 032 en Stainless Steel. Toutefois, notre gamme est en train d'évoluer afin d'avoir les mêmes tirants en Nickel et en Stainless Steel. Sachez que nous faisons remonter votre demande auprès de notre service développement aux Etats-Unis.[/color][/quote]

Translation:
[b]"Indeed, we don't have Stainless steel strings in 032 yet. However, our product range is changing so that we have the same gages in Nickel and Stainless Steel. We have passed your request along to the product development team located in the U.S.A. "[/b]

Either their french teams lied (damn French liars ! - Note: I am French, so...), or they do not have a consistent answer, which would mean that their internal processes and strategies are a bit unclear.

[quote name='Nuf' timestamp='1441799416' post='2861846']
That's weird. Their french speaking team told me that were actually revising their product list and adding the high C to their stainless steel sets.

Here in french, and after that, a translation:

Translation:
[b]"Indeed, we don't have Stainless steel strings in 032 yet. However, our product range is changing so that we have the same gages in Nickel and Stainless Steel. We have passed your request along to the product development team located in the U.S.A. "[/b]

Either their french teams lied (damn French liars ! - Note: I am French, so...), or they do not have a consistent answer, which would mean that their internal processes and strategies are a bit unclear.
[/quote]

Well, personally, I would prefer to believe the French info, rightly or wrongly, so maybe I'll wait until an SS 'C' becomes available. Might be a long wait, though; we'll see. I'm in no great hurry; I'd rather have a matching set, as they'll be on the bass quite a long while (I hope..!). Thanks for the tip-off.