Why become a member? ×

Gruv Gear Fump! Anyone tried one yet?

NJE

Has anyone tried the new Gruv Gear jump yet? Web page here: http://www.gruvgear.com/fump

I know this can be achieved with a cheap bit of foam under the strings at the bridge, but I am tempted to try one for £15 as I switch from Soul/Motown to disco pretty quickly at gigs and tend to stick with one bass.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1435267519' post='2807213']
Yes, I want one... are they currently only available from the US?
[/quote]

I've seen them here as well: [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessories-c2/string-muters-c63/gruv-gear-gruv-gear-fump-bass-bridge-muter-dampener-p10306"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessories-c2/string-muters-c63/gruv-gear-gruv-gear-fump-bass-bridge-muter-dampener-p10306[/url]

I quite like the idea of these, as while a bit of foam does the job for free, in practice it's a bit too much faff to fish the bit of foam in and out for specific songs.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1435268553' post='2807226']
I've seen them here as well: [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/accessories-c2/string-muters-c63/gruv-gear-gruv-gear-fump-bass-bridge-muter-dampener-p10306"]http://www.stringsdi...dampener-p10306[/url] I quite like the idea of these, as while a bit of foam does the job for free, in practice it's a bit too much faff to fish the bit of foam in and out for specific songs.
[/quote]

Thanks! :) I don't like foam either. I've been practicing the 'floating thumb' method, but it makes me look awkward - the unusual spazzy arm position and the rapt look of concentration on my face (with my tongue sticking out), makes me look like I'm having a stroke.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought one so you didn't have to... <_<

DON'T BOTHER.

It mutes too much, and on basses with small fingerboard radius it's too uneven.

However... I am tempted to keep it just to experiment with different foam/pressures. It's easy to disassemble, and you can replace the material inside. Not sure it'll work that much better using other materials/pressures... If you want to play about, it may be ok. If you want a nice palm muted tone as it is... this will not do it.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1437508756' post='2826697']
I bought one so you didn't have to... <_<

DON'T BOTHER.
[/quote]

Too late, I bought one with some strings from Strings Direct and it was easiest decision I have ever made to send it back. It was useless, completely killed the strings and unless I had it right by the bridge it changed the pitch of the note! It also didn't cover all of the string on my 5 string despite saying in all the literature that it was for 4/5 string basses.

So back to good old fashioned foam, and £17 back in my account.

Edited by NJE

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1439933414' post='2846965']
Glad I didn't buy one then! I wonder if I could make my bit of foam a bit more user-friendly by attaching it to a stiff backing with felt underneath, so it's a bit quicker to slide into place.
[/quote]

That looks like a much better option.
Or those little things that look like a pillow... no hard backing but the foam is hard enough and it's easy to slide under the strings.

• 1 year later...

Hello, sorry to resurrect an old thread, I was a-googling bass mutes and stumbles upon this, does anybody have an idiot-proof method of making a home made mute?

I tried to make one a few months back and it went badly. It"s getting it cut to the right thickness so it stays in place but doesn't over or under-mute the strings. My first attempt was too thin, my second attempt was too thick, and then I ran out of foam. Which begs the question, where can one buy a wee bit of foam? And what's the deal with the piece of felt? Can anyone help please?

• 3 years later...

I wish I had found this thread earlier. I got one direct from Gruv Gear, the only upside is I got it and a fret wrap for £20 delivered.

I got it last year and it took nearly 3 weeks to come.

It is basically useless on all of my bass except my  P bass. 

It sounds absolutely nothing like palm muting, and to be honest creates more unwanted noises, than it mute...

Steer clear.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

I wish I had found this thread earlier. I got one direct from Gruv Gear, the only upside is I got it and a fret wrap for £20 delivered.

I got it last year and it took nearly 3 weeks to come.

It is basically useless on all of my bass except my  P bass. 

It sounds absolutely nothing like palm muting, and to be honest creates more unwanted noises, than it mute...

Steer clear.

Yeah, I was very disappointed with mine. I sent it back.

I actually quite like mine... I have a selection of foams for different basses but I like the fump for a quick option, and it sits on the strap when removed. I find the key is to push it right back to the bridge as far as you can get it, otherwise it's too dead for sure!

• Like 1