Why become a member? ×

Mixing cabs of different impedance?

spiltmilk_2000

Hi There, I have a question about the above which Im hoping someone might be able to assist with.

I currently have an Aguilar DB750 with GS115 and GS410 cabs (both 4 ohms) but am considering purchasing a lightweight rig for small gigs (Aguilar TH500 and SL112)

My question is will I be able to combine the 8ohm 112 cab with one of the 4ohm GS cabs if required? Say I wanted to use either the TH500 or the DB750 head with the GS115 AND the SL112 would there be any mismatching problems due to different impedance ratings? I have no idea how these things work. :blink:

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice.

If you link an 8 ohm cab and a 4 ohm cab in parallel (the normal way) you'll get an impedance of 2.66666 ohms. That'll be ok for the DB750 as it can work down to 2 ohms. The TH500 only works with a min impedance of 4 ohms, so you couldn't use it with that mix of cabs..

You could get them to work together by linking the cabs with series cable which will add the impedance together and give you a 12 ohm impedance at the amp. But by doing this you'll find you need to turn the amp up further than normal to achieve your usual volume.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1435322223' post='2807676']
If you link an 8 ohm cab and a 4 ohm cab in parallel (the normal way) you'll get an impedance of 2.66666 ohms. That'll be ok for the DB750 as it can work down to 2 ohms. The TH500 only works with a min impedance of 4 ohms, so you couldn't use it with that mix of cabs..[/quote]

Correct!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1435322223' post='2807676']You could get them to work together by linking the cabs with series cable which will add the impedance together and give you a 12 ohm impedance at the amp. But by doing this you'll find you need to turn the amp up further than normal to achieve your usual volume.
[/quote]

Although you can do this in theory it's a bad idea in practice with non-identical cabs because they'll interact in strange ways due to their differing impedance curves - imagine getting a 12 band graphic EQ and pushing the sliders about randomly and hoping it'll sound good. That kind of bad idea!

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1435322531' post='2807682']
Correct!

Although you can do this in theory it's a bad idea in practice with non-identical cabs because they'll interact in strange ways due to their differing impedance curves - imagine getting a 12 band graphic EQ and pushing the sliders about randomly and hoping it'll sound good. That kind of bad idea!
[/quote]

Thanks Alex for chipping in with proper technical advice on this!

Edited by LewisK1975

Are you sure the GS115 is 4 ohm? The Aguilar website says they are 8 ohm.

I've use 2 112 cabs and now a 212 for years. With "modern" well designed cabs I'm not convinced there is a place for old style 115's any more.

I'd get 2 SL112's if you were after a flexible small rig.