Why become a member? ×

Recording Rehearsals

paddy mcbride

I want to start recording all of our rehearsals. We're looking at micing up the drum kit and running DIs for the guitars & bass plus vocals.

I'm looking at getting a 16 or 24 channel mixer, do I then need a 16 or 24 channel interface to run the signals to the laptop? Or is there cleaner way to do it?

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Paddy

A band I helped out for a bit last year used to do this from time to time and added a fixed angle video.

The girl that used to do it just brought a laptop, 16 channel mixer and a load of mics.... took about 20 mins to set up the whole deal and the same to pack away.

Turned out OK.

[media]http://youtu.be/QyTACfln6pQ[/media]

[quote name='paddy mcbride' timestamp='1435321872' post='2807669']
I want to start recording all of our rehearsals. We're looking at micing up the drum kit and running DIs for the guitars & bass plus vocals.

I'm looking at getting a 16 or 24 channel mixer, do I then need a 16 or 24 channel interface to run the signals to the laptop? Or is there cleaner way to do it?

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Paddy
[/quote]

You'll be needing a desk with as many mic's and other i/ps you're using. If the mixing is done on the desk (as with a live gig...), the o/p will typically be a stereo mix, as if feeding FOH. This can go into an interface, then the PC, but you won't be able to adjust the mix after the event. It's 'set in stone' once it's out of the desk.
There are desks with o/ps for each channel, specifically for recording multi-track; you'll need an interface with the appropriate number of i/p channels if you go down that route. Much more expensive, but mixing can be done at a later stage that way. There are also interfaces which do not need a desk, one plugs the mic's etc directly into that, and all is done on the PC. It's a choice; are the recordings for yourselves, or for commercial use..?
In passing, I'd say that's it's unusual to DI guitars; they're normally mic'ed, to capture the sound from the speaker, not from the instrument.
Hope this helps; subject to correction, completion and/or contradiction from others.

Edited by Dad3353

With an interface of that sort, you won't need a desk, although it can make things easier, and you may have other uses for it. No experience with these exact products, but I'm pretty sure they'll be more than adequate for recording demos, or more.

If you're just demoing - is it that you specifically need multi-channel recording? I'd eevn venture down the route of getting something like the awesome Zoom Q8 - a stereo video recorder designed to handle loud music. Or for that matter even the older Q3HD can be picked up for next to no money these days AND you have video footage to go with it too.

In my bands we record nearly everything we do. We use a Zoom handheld thing could be the Q2? If placed correctly and as long as your instruments are balanced well in the room you can get amazing results. We normally run stuff once at a rehearsal record it and then everybody works on their parts for the gigs. The new Behringer X18 has the abilty to send all of the inputs to a DAW via USB but is probably overkill for your purposes?

Another one for giving a hand-held device a go - I have the Tascam DR07 and have been amazed at how easy it is to use, and what great results, albeit in probably a smaller, quieter setup than the OP's. Much cheaper option, and that's from someone trying to sell a 24 track desk!!

I use a Zoom H2n for recording writing sessions most of the time. This is an example https://soundcloud.com/belowtheghost/funky-meterstyle-thing

Another simple way I do it is to run a large condenser microphone into my Zoom R16 and just place the mic in the room near the drums like this https://soundcloud.com/belowtheghost/death-of-robert-j-180515-1

A little sprinkle of compression and EQ afterwards and it's good to go.

If you want cheap, easy and less faffing about, I highly recommend the zoom r16. I'vew had 2 in my time. Only limitation is that it does 8 tracks (although you can get two and connect them giving you 16 tracks).

Great sounding, really easy to use. you can mix on the unit or you can export to a DAW and play about until your heart is content. Got phantom power in two inputs. Less than 200 quid, robust, easy to use. No need to rely on a laptop. In fact... I want another one! haha

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1435420218' post='2808636']
If you want cheap, easy and less faffing about, I highly recommend the zoom r16. I'vew had 2 in my time. Only limitation is that it does 8 tracks (although you can get two and connect them giving you 16 tracks).

Great sounding, really easy to use. you can mix on the unit or you can export to a DAW and play about until your heart is content. Got phantom power in two inputs. Less than 200 quid, robust, easy to use. No need to rely on a laptop. In fact... I want another one! haha
[/quote]

They are very very good. I used mine to track a new song this week.

The zoom r16 looks like a good option as does the zoom H2n.

The only think I like about the idea of a mixer over other options is that we have a permanent room so once we have all channels set up and a mix we like, recording each session will be relatively simple because mics etc won't be moved around once in their positions.

The zoom r16 seems to offer this ability with the interface built in, albeit as you say with less channels.

The less messing I have to do on a laptop the better because I haven't spent enough time with the DAW I've chosen (reaper) to be fluent in it's operation, yet.

[quote name='paddy mcbride' timestamp='1435480845' post='2809062']

The only think I like about the idea of a mixer over other options is that we have a permanent room so once we have all channels set up and a mix we like, recording each session will be relatively simple because mics etc won't be moved around once in their positions.

The zoom r16 seems to offer this ability with the interface built in, albeit as you say with less channels.

The less messing I have to do on a laptop the better because I haven't spent enough time with the DAW I've chosen (reaper) to be fluent in it's operation, yet.
[/quote]

2 R16's will cost £400 and they allow you to connect together to work as a 16 track desk. Saying that, I reckon a selection of well placed room mics + some mic'd up instruments would get you a great sounding demo!

I've done live recordings by taking feeds from several microphones into a mixer and then sending it into my USB interface as either a stereo or 4 channel mix. The Tascam US16x08 look pretty good if you need the flexibility of 8 channels. The more you can separate out the sources, the more they can be tweaked afterwards.

However, that approach can get pretty expensive if you don't already have a mixer, interface, several microphones and stands etc.

Stand-alone units like the zoom Q8 will require a fair amount of thought regarding room acoustics and setting up instruments to get a good quality sound recording, but would potentially be a lot easier and much less hassle.

There is a larger Zoom than the R16, the R24. Still only 8 simultaneous recording tracks but good ability to overdub anyway should you want it. Great unit, I have done plenty of recording on mine. But for simple demos and live recordings I use the Zoom H2 handheld. A bit of experimentation about where to put the recorder (mounts onto a mic stand) and you can record full surround sound or just stereo with a variety of 4 or 5 internal mics. Really good sound quality as long as you don't overload it. You can then take the take and re-EQ it in Cubase or whatever and leave it at that.

[quote name='paddy mcbride' timestamp='1435480845' post='2809062']
[/quote]

FWIW, I asked a (kinda) similar question [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/242497-zoom-r16-recording-a-band-with-built-in-mics-doable/page__view__findpost__p__2517861"]here[/url] - and apparently the R16 uses the same mic capsules as the H2

This ...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/260053-tascam-us1800-usb-audio-interface-16-channel-l140/"]Tascam US1800, on sale in the forum Marketplace ...[/url]

... will do the job very well, especially if, as you say, you've a semi-permanent set-up. It's also eminently affordable.
I have no connection with the seller, obviously. Hope this helps.