Why become a member? ×

Cab Connectors

Skybone

My current cab has 2 TRS sockets & 2 Speakon sockets, where my amp only has 2 TRS output sockets.

I've been looking at various other cabs recently, but there seem to be quite a few available with only Speakon sockets on the back.

Is it possible to plug a TRS into a Speakon? (Probably not would be my guess)

Has anyone grafted a Speakon / TRS jack onto a Speakon to Speakon or TRS to TRS speaker lead?

Most cabs which appear to ONLY have speakon connectors actually have the combi connectors, where the centre 'hole' of the speakon connector is where you'd stick a normal jack lead.

You can tell which are combi connectors by the colour - the green ones are combi connectors.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1435598157' post='2810435']
why not just change the plug on the end of your cable to suit the cab? Costs no more than a couple of quid for a speakon connector and they are usually screw terminals so no solder required.
[/quote]

For a similar reason to the one where I take two basses to gigs instead of taking a notlob bass with fretted and fretless necks.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1435598157' post='2810435']
why not just change the plug on the end of your cable to suit the cab? Costs no more than a couple of quid for a speakon connector and they are usually screw terminals so no solder required.
[/quote]
[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1435680637' post='2811385']
For a similar reason to the one where I take two basses to gigs instead of taking a notlob bass with fretted and fretless necks.
[/quote]

I'm not sure that these are equivalent notions, or have I misunderstood something..? Is a second speaker cable so difficult to consider..? :huh: It seemed like a sensible proposition posted in good faith, to me.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1435699359' post='2811688']
I'm not sure that these are equivalent notions, or have I misunderstood something..? Is a second speaker cable so difficult to consider..? :huh: It seemed like a sensible proposition posted in good faith, to me.
[/quote]

You may have misunderstood me - I would take more than one lead (covering both speakon-speakon and speakon-jack) rather than one lead and swap connectors.