Why become a member? ×

Florence's tuning

dincz

Based on what I saw, which wasn't a massive amount, she seemed almost hyper with an excessive nervous energy. From what I've heard on record I quite like their//her stuff. It didnt quite work on that large scale for me

After looking at some of the Glasto footage I don't find it all [i]that[/i] bad. I've heard worse. I've heard worse posted by people on this very forum in fact. Some singers do have a bit of a reputation for not being as cock-on live as in the studio, even pre autotune days. Meatloaf i recall went through a rough time. A mate of mine went to see him live at some outdoor job in the 80's or 90's and said he sang utterly flat for the whole gig.

Edited by KevB

I don't think I'll ever consider what Florence does as 'singing'.....shouting, wailing, perhaps.
Never liked her for that reason.

Tell you what, instead of talking about how disappointing one act is, do yourself a favour, do what I'm doing and treat yourself to The Staves set on iPlayer :). Beautiful voices!

Si

The first time I saw FATM live was on the telly when she did Reading - 2012 I think it was. All of my family (wife and two then pre-teen boys) commented on how painfully flat she was singing - it was so dire we had to change channel after a couple of numbers.
Fast forward to 2015, and the Gramme family are sitting in front of the telly again, wondering whether Florence's Reading flat-fest was a one-off. .......... Nope. Every bit as 'fingernails down the blackboard' excruciating as we remembered it.
Conclusion - Florence cannot sing in tune for toffee. QED.

[quote name='CHW' timestamp='1435570694' post='2810018']
Based on what I saw, which wasn't a massive amount, she seemed almost hyper with an excessive nervous energy
[/quote]

mmmm, this is sometimes referred to as 'coked up'… :blink:

There's a few grumpy old men on this thread aren't there? It's interesting that all the singers held up to be better are male and rock singers.

I think people are missing the point, it's all about performance and engaging the audience with her. She was clearly so charged with adrenaline she lost it a little. She came on so fired up she did miss a few notes then she nailed it for a bit but overdid the jumping around and lost her breath and control at the same time. The audience clearly loved it. Do we have different standards for women I wonder? A lot of the acts lost vocal control towards the end of their sets, Roger Daltrey for one but I'd rather see an act taking risks and entertaining than just delivering and failing to engage.

In the past I've seen sets where she has just nailed every note, remarkably so with some of the intervals she uses. There's a difference between not being able to sing for toffee and messing up. Who here hasn't messed up playing or singing live.

OK the music isn't for everyone, I'm a sucker for a good pop song. I personally find most rock songs and rock bands dull and derivative, just not my taste, but I don't come on and slag off Dave Grohl for having an off day and going raspy and shouty at the end of a set.

I guess I understand if people are criticizing because they didn't get to see the Foo's, whoever thought Florence was an equivalent act got that wrong, but it's hardly the bans fault. I'm a bit worried that we find it ok to criticize women more easily than men.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1435654471' post='2810924']
There's a few grumpy old men on this thread aren't there? It's interesting that all the singers held up to be better are male and rock singers.

I think people are missing the point, it's all about performance and engaging the audience with her. She was clearly so charged with adrenaline she lost it a little. She came on so fired up she did miss a few notes then she nailed it for a bit but overdid the jumping around and lost her breath and control at the same time. The audience clearly loved it. Do we have different standards for women I wonder? A lot of the acts lost vocal control towards the end of their sets, Roger Daltrey for one but I'd rather see an act taking risks and entertaining than just delivering and failing to engage.

In the past I've seen sets where she has just nailed every note, remarkably so with some of the intervals she uses. There's a difference between not being able to sing for toffee and messing up. Who here hasn't messed up playing or singing live.

OK the music isn't for everyone, I'm a sucker for a good pop song. I personally find most rock songs and rock bands dull and derivative, just not my taste, but I don't come on and slag off Dave Grohl for having an off day and going raspy and shouty at the end of a set.

I guess I understand if people are criticizing because they didn't get to see the Foo's, whoever thought Florence was an equivalent act got that wrong, but it's hardly the bans fault. I'm a bit worried that we find it ok to criticize women more easily than men.
[/quote]

The Staves aren't male. (Did anyone go watch The Staves btw?)
Florence is always off, the occasion has nothing to do with it unfortunately.

Si

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1435483282' post='2809091']
...it seems to me Florence can't sing.
[/quote]

That's it right there. Some people can sing off-key in a pleasing way; Florence is not one of them.

In her defence (really, spellchecker? You want 'defense'? Oh, please!), a live performance should be just that, live. You have to [i]be[/i] there. Which is why TV coverage of Glasto misses the point spectacularly. And do we really need the BBC to show it simultaneously on THREE channels when I want to watch Family Guy and American Dad? I think not...

Edited by discreet

I'm a bit worried that we find it OK to criticize women more easily than men.
[/quote]

No misogyny from this Basschatter.
I constantly criticise [i]everyone [/i]across a broad demographic, me. :P Kanye is no singer either, imho.

I'm a bit worried that we find it OK to [b]criticize[/b] women more easily than men.
[/quote]

Please join my campaign to ignore the US spellchecker we seem to have on this forum. How hard would it be to have a UK one fitted??

Edited by discreet

Do we have different standards for women I wonder?[/quote]

I can only speak for myself and I honestly don't believe I'm guilty on that score. I, and others, mentioned male vocalists who also consistently have pitch problems. The other extreme - the Staves' pitching was impeccable. The object of the criticism just happens to be a woman.

Are you suggesting that any criticism of a female vocalist is invalid if it comes from a man?

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1435656754' post='2810958']
I'd much sooner see / hear someone having a go in delivering their 'Art' than playing it safe.
[/quote]

That IS more important than merely 'singing in tune'. :)
If all the risk, danger and excitement is removed from a musical performance you are left with One Direction.

I don't think it's a male-female thing. The issue is that her selling point is her distinctive vocals and she is lifted up as this great female singer, but she quite regularly misses notes on the flat side. Comparing Florence to Dave Grohl is chalk and cheese. Dave is a powerhouse rock vocalist who is regularly out of tune especially towards the end of the set, but his selling point is an energetic rock show that engages the crowd and the song writing that is top of its game (in the world of rock. Many people who don't like rock don't like the Foos material).

There was an thread about Kanye West that is much more derogatory than this thread and it's about a man, so I don't think it's gender specific.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1435486714' post='2809153']
In this age of plastcised, autotuned, lip-syncing talent-show R&B divas, it's heartening that a woman who sounds & looks the way she does can achieve the level of success that she has.
[/quote]

Like Susan Boyle but without the talent?

Didn't see her this time round but I've seen televised appearances by her before and she's seemingly incapable of carrying a tune in a bucket.

Incidentally, I'm not sure that the primary purpose of autotune is pitch correction these days. It seems to be more the vocal effect du jour, like guitarists have been using distortion for the last 50 years. One can only hope that, like the 80s gated reverbed snare, it lasts no more than a decade or two.

Edited by tauzero

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1435657717' post='2810969']
One can only hope that, like the 80s gated reverbed snare, it lasts no more than a decade or two.
[/quote]

Holy crap, you listen to 80s hits today and it's just unbelievably annoying! As is the rest of the production. Strident, tiring, swamped in reverb... horrible! Something to do with the advent of digital audio, perhaps. Anyway, I digress...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1435656121' post='2810942']
Please join my campaign to ignore the US spellchecker we seem to have on this forum. How hard would it be to have a UK one fitted??
[/quote]

ITYF that the smellchecker is at your end, not BC's. Check what dictionary you have loaded in your browser.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1435658221' post='2810977']
ITYF that the smellchecker is at your end, not BC's. Check what dictionary you have loaded in your browser.
[/quote]

Oh God, really? All this time... hang on.

Yes, you're right! I thought the spellchecker was part of the forum software! I've just changed it to UK in Chrome! :blush:
Thanks very much for that, it's been driving me bloody mad for years!! :lol:

Edited by discreet

[/quote]

Good grief. I have posted instructions on how to change Chrome's spellchecker to UK English, here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/265091-change-bc-spellchecker-to-uk-english/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/265091-change-bc-spellchecker-to-uk-english/[/url]

ITYF that the [b]smellchecker [/b]is at your end, not BC's. Check what dictionary you have loaded in your browser.
[/quote]

Too right. We don't want any of them American smells over here...

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1435659274' post='2810996']
I've had the same problem, just made the change, but it's still underlining my british spellings in red. Nevermind
[/quote]

You might need to restart your browser. Failing that, double check your spelling with Chambers.

Out of curiosity I've just compared 3 live performances of 'Ship To Wreck' (Glasto, Later with Jools, GMA) with the original studio version on youtube and she sounds like she's singing them all the same to me, ie what was recorded is pretty much what you get live (though the mixes naturally differ a bit). Obviously just me then...as I wrote earlier I'm not that fussed about her one way or the other, strong voice though as Bassassin pointed out.

Edited by KevB