Why become a member? ×

Florence's tuning

dincz

I've never given Florence and the Machine a proper listen so thought I'd give their Glastonbury show a try. 15 minutes in and I can't stand her slightly flat vocals any more. Is this a one-off monitoring problem or is she always like this live?

Funny, I've said this twice in Glasto threads already.

I like her recorded stuff, but every live performance I've seen or heard of absolutely awful in terms of lead vocals.

There are many artists who have their own style and the vocals are not on pitch (eg was listening to the fabulous Tom Waits yesterday) but Florence just sounds terrible live IMO.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1435476670' post='2809030']
There are many artists who have their own style and the vocals are not on pitch (eg was listening to the fabulous Tom Waits yesterday) but Florence just sounds terrible live IMO.
[/quote]

I've been trying to figure this one out - I actively enjoy lots of performers who have a cavalier attitude to pitch, yet Florence's performance made me wince repeatedly. I'm not sure why this is!

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1435478009' post='2809041']
on the subject of correct intonation, I do think it's the most overrated aspect of music.
[/quote]

That explains a lot.

:D :P ;) :rolleyes: B) :yarr:

Sorry, I just could not resist. In real life, I do love Spoombung's stuff.

Anyone know what her songs are about? I don't enjoy her songs or like her voice but I'm curious.

In her defence and on the subject of correct intonation, I do think it's the most overrated aspect of music.
[/quote]

As John Macenroe used to say " you cannot be serious"

In her defence and on the subject of correct intonation, I do think it's the most overrated aspect of music.
[/quote]

Right, on the strength of that I'm going to rip out my frets :)

I think her problem is that her voice is very distinct and for me, not good or interesting enough to be able to listen to two songs. The first one sees you off..:lol:

I recall a music pub playing her whole CD whilst we were setting up so I was hardly listening, but it drove me mad.
Very much an aquired taste... and not for me.

On the evidence of TV performances/ live coverage it seems to me Florence can't sing. Shouting and over emphasising weak syllables is not musical and not singing. I don't mind people carving out new musical niches but seeing as flossie is trying to be a plasticised digital age Stevie nicks a bit of basic old school 'talent' wouldn't go amiss.

[/quote]

And it doesn't matter if the band speeds up.

YES IT DOES!

from what I've heard of her music and live performances it seems she's stuck in between 2 worlds. People who like her music and style praise her for her unique style / powerful voice etc. but unfortunately she is more out of tune than it is acceptable to be. It's great that she's singing live and not autotuning or singing over pre-recorded studio produced guide tracks like most pop stars do now, but it does also show that she has a serious weakness with pitching her notes. Unfortunately she's probably surrounded by so many Yes People and has so much money invested in her, who is going to have the courage to walk up and say.... I'm sorry love, your wailing has a certain appeal, but you need to have some singing lessons to learn how to stay in tune. Good luck being the producer who says that to a female vocalist "star"

having just skip watched a few different tracks, i think her 1st track was very nervous, you can hear the issues with breathing control due to nerves, which effects pitch in anyone if you've got nerves. Some of the tracks after that she's bang in tune and bang on, and then in others there are other styles / techniques where she definitely hits the note under. It seemed to me the most obvious one was where she was switching from a lower softer register up to her higher register. It's a difficult technique to master, but if you're headlining Glastonbury you should be able to switch from lower to higher register without hitting the top note on the flat side.

Not that bothered about her one way or another really but 'Ship To Wreck' has been one of my favourite pop singles this year so far, though I don't listen to much pop any more. What little I've seen of Glasto this year I've found incredibly underwhelming.

I've often turned the TV off when she appears. Fixes her pitch and tone perfectly.

I heard all the fuss a few years ago, and when they were on Jools Holland I saw the performance and it didn't match up with the hype at all for me, I couldn't fathom whether there was something wrong with me because I just didn't get it.

The shouting and off key hooting, the tone of her voice - it's just way too much.

I'm sure Florence herself is a tiptop person, and fair play to anyone who's doing well out of the music industry.

Not for me.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1435485711' post='2809136']
Some singers with very, dodgy intonation, have gone on to fame and fortune in the past. Simon Le Bon and Sade are two that instantly come to mind.
[/quote]

I agree. Far too much reliance on autotune means we have forgotten what real live singers actually sound like.

I suspect people in the live audience wouldn't notice.

I thought she was away with the fairies. :D

I've so far not managed to see any of her Glasto set so can't comment on her pitching there, but having caught previous live performances - I can't say I ever noticed a problem with her tuning.

Broadly I like her as a vocalist - I've always been drawn to distictive, powerful female voices & always felt she was a strong, gutsy singer, regrettably burdened with fronting a dull little band & singing trite & forgettable little songs. I also like the fact that in such a shallow & manufactured business, she's not what you'd call conventionally attractive. Shouldn't matter - but it does.

In this age of plastcised, autotuned, lip-syncing talent-show R&B divas, it's heartening that a woman who sounds & looks the way she does can achieve the level of success that she has.

Jon.

Some singers with very, dodgy intonation, have gone on to fame and fortune in the past. Simon Le Bon and Sade are two that instantly come to mind.
[/quote]

... And Bob Dylan. The 'poetic' content was the standard excuse at the time, but the genre has passed into popular acceptance, it would seem.

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1435493430' post='2809290']
She was tuneless as usual. Even the addition of FIVE female backing singers couldn't disguise the fact.
[/quote]

I thought the backing singers made her intonation more noticeable, as they were obviously pro session singers who were spot-on. A solo singer over a sparse backing would have far more leeway.

[/quote]Morrissey and Nick Cave to keep them company. Just been listening to F&theM's "Lungs". Can't understand why such a fuss was made over them - although to be fair, her Autotune was impeccable.