Why become a member? ×

The importance of ....

[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1435487830' post='2809184']
Getting your tailpiece set correctly, as in string after length.I ve just adjusted the tailpiece cord length and it has improved the sound dramatically. Length of string behind the bridge should be 1/6 of playing length.
Just thought I would pass it on.
[/quote]

Sounds odd to me (disclaimer: I don't play db...). How is that length adjusted..? Doesn't the 'playing length' depend on which note is being fingered..? Intrigued (and eager to learn...). :unsure:

You can adjust the after length by lengthening or shortening the tail wire. I've got a Kolstein adjustable tailpiece on one of my basses which makes it possible to individually adjust each string. It does make a difference but not too sure of the theory. Looking forward to BC enlightenment.

And here's another one: there's a theory held by quite a few players that you can get an improvement to the E string sound by swapping over the A and E winders. Something to do with reducing the break angle on the E.

I gather the traditional method is for the afterlengths to be two octaves and a fourth above the open string pitches? Mine is wrong by that standard, as it's about two octaves and a fifth. I've never tried adjusting it, as the tailpiece cord on my bass is the crimped steel rope kind and I don't have the right tools.

There's a lot of discussion on this subject over on TalkBass.
Some say it depends on the individual bass on whether it makes a noticeable difference, others say the weight of the tailpiece has more effect on the vibration of the afterlength.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1435682125' post='2811422']
So if the after length is so important, an by all accounts it is, I wonder why DPA, Fishman, KK, etc recommend hanging mics and jacks off it.
[/quote]

I've noticed that orchestral players who double in other settings tend to remove any of these for unamplified work, so this is clearly something which bothers some people. On my bass, I use a wolf eliminator on the A-string afterlength which only works if the afterlengths are left free, so I prefer a tailpiece mounted jack where possible.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1435488912' post='2809212']
And here's another one: there's a theory held by quite a few players that you can get an improvement to the E string sound by swapping over the A and E winders. Something to do with reducing the break angle on the E.
[/quote]

I'm going to try this once my new strings have settled in and I've got used to the sound. Flubby E strings on an otherwise great sounding set are a constant bugbear to me.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1435688428' post='2811515']

I'm going to try this once my new strings have settled in and I've got used to the sound. Flubby E strings on an otherwise great sounding set are a constant bugbear to me.
[/quote]
I'd be interested to hear if this works Rev as I'm tempted to try plain gut E & A on my bass

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1435495397' post='2809305']
... others say the weight of the tailpiece has more effect on the vibration of the afterlength.
[/quote]

That's why I'm going to install a hi-mass, brass tailpiece and have it engraved Double Badass ...