Why become a member? ×

Chris Squire has passed away...

Spoombung

A major loss not just to the world of bass but to the world of music in general. Similar to others here, I bought a new Rick 4001 back in '74 mainly because of Chris. There's a new star north side of the sky! RIP Chris.

:sorry: RIP Chris.
'[color=#000000][font=proxnov-reg, arial, sans-serif][size=1]Soon, oh soon the light[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=proxnov-reg, arial, sans-serif][size=1]Pass within and soothe this endless night!'[/size][/font][/color]

[attachment=195252:Chris Squire Fragile.jpg]
I grew up with this guy too. Aged 15 a mate presented me with a copy of Fragile; great music, virtuoso playing, a stunningly presented Roger Dean gatefold and a really cool guy with the coolest bass I'd ever seen. RIP Chris Squire. A legend.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1435510081' post='2809525']
Gutted. I knew he was ill but didn't expect this.
[/quote]

I didn't even know he was ill; I'm utterly stunned. I've been keeping away from stuff as much as possible due to a (another) very bad year adversely affecting my anxiety/depression. I was just looking at the Kanye (no he can't) thread for some much-needed light relief and saw this. In a while this will sink in and I will be very, very, very upset indeed. My favourite bassist, although strangely enough I came to him very late. Met him twice too and thankfully got to tell him I thought he was the best, which he seemed genuinely touched by.

R.I.P. Chris.

Almost lost for words. Thanks go out to the great man himself, as they have ever since first hearing his inspiring work, and thoughts are with his family, friends & remaining band members. Not ashamed to say there's a tear in my eye just now.
Well, it'll be Rick out and every Yes album on shuffle for the next few days for myself and, I suspect, many others around the world.