Why become a member? ×

Chris Squire has passed away...

Spoombung

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1435527387' post='2809782']

Chris was a living legend and is now an immortal.
[/quote]

Such a shock... I never thought for a minute he wouldn't be ok. Without a doubt one of my greatest influences, both as a bassist and as a member of Yes. I'm so glad I got to see him live back in 2004. It was my greatest wish that Jon Anderson would return to the fold and we would have that remarkable team together again but it's not to be.

Ironically enough, I read only yesterday an interview with Jon in Prog magazine. It seems they were in touch after Chris' diagnosis and, despite anything that had gone down on the business side of things, amends were made. Musical brothers to the end.

Bill Bruford may have had some hellacious arguments with Chris in the studio, but he has [url="http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=5182"]some nice things[/url] to say today. Quote:
[quote][i]An individualist in an age when it was possible to establish individuality, Chris fearlessly staked out a whole protectorate of bass playing in which he was lord and master. I suspect he knew not only that he gave millions of people pleasure with his music, but also that he was fortunate to be able to do so. I offer sincere condolences to his family.[/i][/quote]

Me? I went straight to [b]Our Song[/b].

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1435506424' post='2809473']
Crikey, that was quick. It only seems a little while ago that he was diagnosed.
A very sad day indeed.
[/quote]
Agreed- very rapid.

RIP Chris

Fortunate to have seen Yes twice - in very different guises : once at Stoke football ground in the 70s with Patrick Moraz and it rained (SAHB were brilliant as well); then the Union tour at the NEC

In my book it is the definitive end of Yes - without Chris and Jon - leaves only Steve the remaining core member

Still in shock, he wasn't that old, didnt have time to enjoy 'retirement' , a brilliant innovative player, massive influence on all bass players, great voice, and part of one of the best bands who ever bestrode the planet like gods: YES

awful news.....

Same story here: my very first regular wages went to "Fragile", and I was floored both by the music and by the bass parts and bass sound.
"Close to the Edge" kinda repeated that feat, and especially the bass part of "Total Mass Retain" was a personal eyeopener to me as to what was possible in popular music.

I see Chris Squire as a visionary bass player within rock music, and I understand he had a great influence on other bass players.

Thanks, Chris!
R.I.P.

Here's the "Total Mass Retain" part from the "Close to the Edge" track:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Z3IKLl3cE[/media]

Edited by BassTractor