Why become a member? ×

Chris Squire has passed away...

Spoombung

An inspiration certainly to me in my teens. His bass lines with Bruford's rhythms were unique. Played them over and over. They were the reason I listened to Yes. He definitely inspired my passion for the bass, along with other early bass greats, even though I developed a completely different style to play myself. It would have been pointless, and near impossible, to emulate his style anyway. In most people's top 10 best bassists of all time surely. One of a kind. RIP

Here's something from [b]Jon Anderson's [/b]official site:

''Chris was a very special part of my life; we were musical brothers. He was an amazingly unique bass player - very poetic - and had a wonderful knowledge of harmony. We met at a certain time when music was very open, and I feel blessed to have created some wonderful, adventurous, music with him. Chris had such a great sense of humor... he always said he was Darth Vader to my Obiwan. I always thought of him as Christopher Robin to my Winnie the Pooh.

We travelled a road less travelled and I'm so thankful that he climbed the musical mountains with me. Throughout everything, he was still my brother, and I'm so glad we were able to reconnect recently. I saw him in my meditation last night, and he was radiant. My heart goes out to his family and loved ones''.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1435593727' post='2810375']
.... wages went to "Fragile", and I was floored both by the music and by the bass parts and bass sound.
"Close to the Edge" kinda repeated that feat, and especially the bass part of "Total Mass Retain" was a personal eyeopener to me as to what was possible in popular music.

I see Chris Squire as a visionary bass player within rock music, and I understand he had a great influence on other bass players.

Thanks, Chris!
R.I.P.

[/quote]

This !

From Bill Brufords Facebook Page:

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Really saddened to hear of the death of my old Yes band-mate, Chris Squire. I shall remember him fondly; one of the twin rocks upon which Yes was founded and, I believe, the only member to have been present and correct, Rickenbacker at the ready, on every tour. He and I had a working relationship built around our differences. Despite, or perhaps because of, the old chestnut about creative tension,[/size][/font][/color][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] it seemed, strangely, to work.

He had an approach that contrasted sharply with the somewhat monotonic, immobile bass parts of today. His lines were important; counter-melodic structural components that you were as likely to go away humming as the top line melody; little stand-alone works of art in themselves. Whenever I think of him, which is not infrequently, I think of the over-driven fuzz of the sinewy staccato hits in Close to the Edge (6’04” and on) or a couple of minutes later where he sounds like a tuba (8’.00”). While he may have taken a while to arrive at the finished article, it was always worth waiting for. And then he would sing a different part on top.

An individualist in an age when it was possible to establish individuality, Chris fearlessly staked out a whole protectorate of bass playing in which he was lord and master. I suspect he knew not only that he gave millions of people pleasure with his music, but also that he was fortunate to be able to do so. I offer sincere condolences to his family.

Adios, partner. Bill.[/size][/font][/color]

so sad,
also a big influence on my playing,
had everything they ever did up to 90125 singles 12", LPs, and all the solo stuff by everyone in yes
RIP chris.
my fave Chris clip....
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo-lBnTc3So"]https://www.youtube....h?v=eo-lBnTc3So[/url]

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1435653925' post='2810915']
From Bill Brufords Facebook Page:

[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Really saddened to hear of the death of my old Yes band-mate, Chris Squire. I shall remember him fondly; one of the twin rocks upon which Yes was founded and, I believe, the only member to have been present and correct, Rickenbacker at the ready, on every tour. He and I had a working relationship built around our differences. Despite, or perhaps because of, the old chestnut about creative tension,[/size][/font][/color][color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] it seemed, strangely, to work.

He had an approach that contrasted sharply with the somewhat monotonic, immobile bass parts of today. His lines were important; counter-melodic structural components that you were as likely to go away humming as the top line melody; little stand-alone works of art in themselves. Whenever I think of him, which is not infrequently, I think of the over-driven fuzz of the sinewy staccato hits in Close to the Edge (6’04” and on) or a couple of minutes later where he sounds like a tuba (8’.00”). While he may have taken a while to arrive at the finished article, it was always worth waiting for. And then he would sing a different part on top.

An individualist in an age when it was possible to establish individuality, Chris fearlessly staked out a whole protectorate of bass playing in which he was lord and master. I suspect he knew not only that he gave millions of people pleasure with his music, but also that he was fortunate to be able to do so. I offer sincere condolences to his family.

Adios, partner. Bill.[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Says it all really. +1

I heard my first prog music in 1979 when someone lent me Fragile. Thus began my lifelong love of prog, and it was the first record where I sat up and thought "wow, bass sounds like it can be real fun to play".

RIP Chris, and thanks for the iconic bass playing

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1436100484' post='2814905']
There is a program on PlanetRock today at 7pm, (My Planet Rocks) its an interview of Chris Squire by Rick Wakeman. I believe Darren Redick will play some stuff in tribute on his midnight Prog Rock progream.
[/quote]They are also playing The Yes Album in full (no ads, no DJ) tomorrow night.

• 4 months later...

Driving home from work in the gloom today and I put on The Gates of Delirium; chords, almost dissonant notes and the whole Chris Squire kitchen sink, but at no point did it sound over the top. We all respect him as a bass player, but it made me realize what an awesome musician he was; dropping superb bass lines into stuff his virtuoso bandmates were doing.

Agree with the general awesomeness of Relayer - TGOD and Squire's lines within it.... but (gasp) the production is not as good as say, ;'Fragile' so it makes some of lines a little hard to hear with all the rest of it going on!

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1449298424' post='2922306']
Agree with the general awesomeness of Relayer - TGOD and Squire's lines within it.... but (gasp) the production is not as good as say, ;'Fragile' so it makes some of lines a little hard to hear with all the rest of it going on!
[/quote]

You might wish to listen to the new Steven Wilson remix - out both in stereo and in surround 5.1, IMS.
By large his remixes get rave reviews, and fans report they finally can hear everything. Google will tell whether that goes for Relayer as well.

AFAIK, he's done several albums by each of the following:
- Gentle Giant,
- Jethro Tull,
- King Crimson.
- XTC,
- Yes.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1449326113' post='2922646']
You might wish to listen to the new Steven Wilson remix - out both in stereo and in surround 5.1, IMS.
By large his remixes get rave reviews, and fans report they finally can hear everything. Google will tell whether that goes for Relayer as well.

AFAIK, he's done several albums by each of the following:
- Gentle Giant,
- Jethro Tull,
- King Crimson.
- XTC,
- Yes.
[/quote]That's interesting. Fragile had an excellent eq but certainly TFTO was dreadful - like listening through a sock draw with no dynamics. And Fish Out of Water was as bad.