Why become a member? ×

Fret rattle/buzz that won't go away

jazseven

So all this hot weather the last few days has messed with my setup on my Cort C4H and now the E (drop D) will not stop rattling, be it open or fretted. any where on the neck. there are a few spots on other strings but the E it is every single fret. I've tried having the action super high, super low and everything in between and the same with neck relief, i've tried adding another shim to the neck and taking away the one that was there in the first place and i've also tried shimming the nut. but to no avail (at least with settings that leave the bass playable) just super persistent fret buzz. the frets are all level too (been at it with a notched straight edge and a fret rocker) so it's not that. I'm just so confused and frustrated and GRRRRRR

any ideas please?!?

If you've changed the neck relief, the action and the neck angle and nothing affects the fret buzz then I can't think of much else left to change - assuming you've approached this as if you were setting it up from scratch. The thing is, if it played well before and now, with the change in the weather, you're getting fret buzz, then that's only really going to be down to one thing, the neck relief has changed, and that's all you should be looking at to get it back playing well again. No need to add or remove shims, no need to change the action, no need to play around with the nut... just get the relief back to how it was previously.

If you can't get rid of a rattle with all the things you've tried then the chances are that it's not frets that are rattling.

I once had a Fender where, when I played the A string, the tuner for the G string buzzed. I'd recommend you pluck the E string and slowly inspect all over the bass listening to find where the buzz is coming from.

• 2 weeks later...