Why become a member? ×

The Who at Glastonbury

Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1435534079' post='2809878']

I'm glad someone else said that before I did! I like the Who, but the energy, anger and tension which I associate them with are no longer in evidence. They made some amazing music in their time, but I'm not sure this represents it that well. This being a bass forum, it's tempting to put this down to the lack of Entwhistle, but I think I miss Keith Moon's drumming as much, maybe even more so.
[/quote]

The two main guys are nearer to 70 years old, your remarks about lack of energy, anger and tension do not make sense, people grow up and hopefully mellow out a bit.
I'm certainly a different character than what I was when I were in my early 20's, it's all part of growing up.

Edited by steantval

I thought they were great - fabulous sound IMO. One of the few bands where you could hear the bass and I was pleasantly surprised to see the bass cam cut in on the solo in My Generation - where many directors in the past have panned in on the lead guitar during it.
Much as I'm a lover of the late Ox's music, I was always disappointed that you often couldn't hear what he was playing properly live - well certainly televised - I'm sure it was a great frustration to him. I thought Pino covered the material perfectly and it was the first time I've ever heard some of the bass lines of the 60s stuff properly - I am a little biased as I think Pino is one of the greatest electric bassists in an extremely versatile way.

The Who was one of only a handful of acts televised at Glastonbury where you could hear the bass well in the mix (through my standard tele speaker). Well done to them long may they rock! The power of some of those songs is awesome.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1435561315' post='2809914']
The two main guys are nearer to 70 years old, your remarks about lack of energy, anger and tension do not make sense, people grow up and hopefully mellow out a bit.
I'm certainly a different character than what I was when I were in my early 20's, it's all part of growing up.
[/quote]

Absolutely, I'm sure they still have something worth hearing, but I tend to enjoy it more when artists move on and reflect where they are now rather than trot out pale imitations of their younger selves. For example, I much prefer Robert Plant doing his own thing to the Led Zep re-union a couple of years ago.
I don't feel particularly bad pointing this out, as I don't think the Who were ever about uncritical respect for their elders. I sometimes think that the extent to which we venerate and congratulate that generation of bands above all others gets a little unhealthy and starts to resemble the culture that they were kicking against in the first place.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

First 2015 Glasto set I enjoyed tbh. I thought Pino was good and if he was more prominent in the mix with a bit/lot more grit would have been great. I'm not a fan of his stage presence /nodding chicken head movements, but there again apart from his fingers the Ox didn't really move more than necessary iirc. Daltrey at 71 gives me hope for life post middle age! The drummer was great, but let's face it - no one will ever replace the manic loony energy of Kieth Moon in full flow.

[quote name='booboo' timestamp='1435571110' post='2810024']no one will ever replace the manic loony energy of Kieth Moon in full flow.
[/quote]

Of course. And no one can replace Entwistle. So that's why they are not trying to.

Makes sense to me.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1435532326' post='2809858']
Fender Custom Shop with two Gibson Thunderbird pickups and then an added Gibson EB neck humbucker.

[/quote]

That looks like a proper bass!!

I have a spare Dimarzio Model One lying around... *starts plotting*

I hope The Who's set appears on iplayer at some point...

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1435568057' post='2809988']
I much prefer Robert Plant doing his own thing to the Led Zep re-union a couple of years ago.
[/quote]

I met Robert Plant and he said that Stairway means nothing to him now. He said he much prefers the stuff he is doing now, although no one will play it! Really nice genuine guy.

really enjoyed the Who, but then again I'm old enough to remember them in the mid sixties, the majority of people want to hear the hits belted out IMO, and Daltrey looked like he was enjoying himself, pulling down the perspex screen round the drumkit, I didn't think they were 'going through the motions' Pino could do with more treble on the bass. Nobody's mentioned Zac Starkey on Drums, you can't get much nearer to Keith moon than that, he doesn't even use a hihat, just like Keith

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1435571910' post='2810036']
That looks like a proper bass!!

I have a spare Dimarzio Model One lying around... *starts plotting*

I hope The Who's set appears on iplayer at some point...
[/quote]
I will refer you to my previous comment......it has begun!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1435568057' post='2809988']
I sometimes think that the extent to which we venerate and congratulate that generation of bands above all others gets a little unhealthy and starts to resemble the culture that they were kicking against in the first place.
[/quote]

Very much this.

It's outrageous to knock these guys because they have not the same energy as they had 45 years ago... What do you want off them FFS... These lads might not be with us in a few short years, so give credit and respect where it's due. They have seen it all and done it all, and are still capable of doing it in a more subdued manner, so we should enjoy it while we can. I am no spring chicken, and these elder statesman make being in a band when you are passed fifty still acceptable to a much younger audience. If it wasn't for the likes of Bowie, Clapton, Jagger,Richards, Daltrey,Iggy, Macca, Lionel Ritchie, Townsend, and thousands of other brilliant performers who are well passed their sixtieth birthday, it would be much more difficult for us as mature musicians to be accepted, and not get sneered at as being 'passed it.' These older performers have ploughed a wide furrow for us, and it sickens me to think some people have lost sight of what they achieved, and try to mask it with small minded ' in the good old days' statements. In the early and mid sixties, there were a handful of bands and creative musicians who put together music as we know it today. To take cheap shots at these same musicians now, purely because they are getting on a bit is just not on. If someone can tell me when it's not cool, or when its 'age inappropriate' for me to carry on gigging, I will laugh in their face, and then tell em to stuff their advice it up their rear end.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1435577362' post='2810112']
I will refer you to my previous comment......it has begun!
[/quote]

I've removed the Model One from the neck position, of the Aria I'd hacked it into.
And I'm quite taken by the Thunderbird pickup equipped Lull P basses.
Never thought of combining the 2 before...

Personally I think the audience are at least as much to blame as the artists for the stagnation of "classic" bands.

I believe that a lot of these bands would be far happier if they could move on and leave much of their music of the past behind them. I know that the music I play at the moment has little in common with what I played and listened to 10 years ago let alone what I was into back in the 70s when I first started playing.

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1435578583' post='2810125']
To take cheap shots at these same musicians now, purely because they are getting on a bit is just not on.[/quote]
I've read back through this thread and cannot find a single post that takes cheap shots at or slags off the band 'purely because they are getting on a bit'. There are a couple mentioning a lack of energy and opining that [i]maybe[/i] it's down to age -- and then again, maybe it's not? -- but no-one is having a go at them simply on the basis of their accumulated yearage.

I'm not saying "they're old, they should stop playing". I have massive admiration for people like Daevid Allen for instance, who kept performing and making new music right up until he died this year aged 77, but managed to keep doing things which seemed fresh and vital. I'm just trying to be honest about how I felt about the performance rather than putting them on a pedestal as "The Greats" and filtering everything I see to confirm that view.
When so much of their message in the early days was about not bowing down to their elders, I find it odd that I'm now expected to do so towards them.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1435578583' post='2810125']
It's outrageous to knock these guys
[/quote]

Rich, there's enough negative posting here to warrant some extra positive posting to balance up the thread.

This post also addresses the ageist crap some of us have to go through on a daily basis.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1435579116' post='2810132']
I believe that a lot of these bands would be far happier if they could move on and leave much of their music of the past behind them.
[/quote]

Maybe. But if you headlined Gladstonebury and didn't play Sticky Pants Trance, frankly I'd feel robbed!

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1435579811' post='2810148']
......"Just sloppy has-beens resting on their fame laurels"...... From further back up this thread... Looks like a bit of a cheap shot to me.
[/quote]But [u]purely[/u] because they're old? Not from where I'm sitting, although YMMV of course. Not my interpretation though. One doesn't have to be old to be a 'has-been'.
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1435579980' post='2810154']
This post also addresses the ageist crap some of us have to go through on a daily basis.
[/quote]I know all about ageism thanks, I get enough of it myself to know it when I see it. And my point is that I haven't seen any overt examples of [u]pure[/u] ageism here.

[size=3]As ever, please note that this is all purely my personal viewpoint and not any sort of 'official' forum stance. Just thought I'd put that in before anybody points a finger or anything. :) [/size]

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1435579511' post='2810139']
When so much of their message in the early days was about not bowing down to their elders, I find it odd that I'm now expected to do so towards them.
[/quote]

Perhaps now would be an appropriate time to wheel out the quote: "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

I enjoyed their set and I've never really taken much interest in their work. Yeah not as wild as back in the day but a) it's perfectly acceptable to get old and slow down a little and B) the guts of the original band is sadly not with us anymore.

Nobody forced those that enjoyed it to enjoy it and I'm sure if you asked Daltrey / Townsend they'd say "hey we are just doing what we do - like it or lump it". I'm certainly not as angry or aggressive as I was in my early 20s and no doubt they're the same. It's human nature. They're realistic enough to know that at this stage they will make more people happy by playing their old stuff rather than trying to churn out new material just for the sake of it. It's what sunday evening at Glastonbury is all about.

That said I really think Glastonbury is becoming very hit and miss these days. Seen more bad performances than ever before this year I think.

Edited by mrtcat