Why become a member? ×

The Who at Glastonbury

Cosmo Valdemar

I wasn't entirely sure he was playing - I've seen a couple of brief long shots of the band & a couple of close ups of the bass players hands but I've been unable to 100% confirm to myself that he's there.

When will the BBC realise that there needs to be a Bassist Cam available on the red button?

(In response to the original post I can just about hear the bass through my telly, but I'd obviously prefer it to be a lot more prominent in the mix).

I'm watching it at the moment and through my sound bar and sub,he's sound good. Needs to be a bit more up in the mix though. I saw a link a couple of months ago that he had a thunderbird pickup fitted to his bass. I can't remember if it was at the Gallery or Bass direct.,

Edited by Bassman Sam

cant stand this modern studio live sound, drummer behind plastic and everything gated, compressed and mixed within an inch of its life.....I wish we could go back to baggy drums, loud clangy bass and raw unbalanced guitars....

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1435529706' post='2809810']
Is anybody else missing the big man? A little underwhelming in the bass department imho
[/quote]

As it has been since Pino joined. This is the first time I've actually been able to hear a bass presence of note. True to form though, he's just buggered the My Generation bass solo completely.

I've got nothing against Pino, but I still maintain he was a completely inappropriate choice for the job.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1435530287' post='2809821']

Daltrey can still belt it out, he must be getting on for 70, what a comparison to Lemmy the other night a similar age.

[/quote] I looked it up earlier. He is 71. He doesn`t look it to be fair

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1435530180' post='2809818']
As it has been since Pino joined. This is the first time I've actually been able to hear a bass presence of note. True to form though, he's just buggered the My Generation bass solo completely.

I've got nothing against Pino, but I still maintain he was a completely inappropriate choice for the job.
[/quote]

Unfortunately. There will never be another OX. We have to make do.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1435529777' post='2809811']
I'm watching it at the moment and through my sound bar and sub,he's sound good. Needs to be a bit more up in the mix though. I saw a link a couple of months ago that he had a thunderbird pickup fitted to his bass. I can't remember if it was at the Gallery or Bass direct.,[/quote]
It's a Fender Custom Shop P-bass with two Thunderbird p/ups fitted. He then had a third p/up fitted at The Gallery.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1435530180' post='2809818']

[/quote]
His playing on this tour is more Entwistle-esque than previously, it has to be said. The only thing I'm not convinced with is his sound - as bit more grit could be added. His My Generation solo was fine, playing wise, but he had an octave pedal on to boost the sound where a bit more bite and grit would probably be in order.

I think he does an excellent job for The Who in the same way Zak Starkey does - sounds sympathetic to the songs whilst not being too sterile/safe...

Slightly annoyed that the beeb didn't show the whole set (I'm assuming that they'll have played for more than slightly over an hour).

Although I suppose that it is possible that the Who, for whatever reason, didn't want the whole thing broadcast. I seem to recall that's what Mick & Keef stipulated when the Rolling Stones headlined.

Might be my age, but I thought they were terrible.
Looking at it from a "If I saw them up my local" point of view instead of a "I know they're rock royalty" point of view.... If I saw them play like that up my local, I'd go home early for a few tinnies - Just sloppy has-beens resting on their fame laurels

Really disappointing after seeing some decent performances by them not too long ago (Superbowl etc.)

I love the Who - I did think the start was a bit ropey but 3 songs in - they still have it!

You couldn't replace the sheer volume of Entwhistles playing - I saw them him live a few years ago and it just fills the place - couldn't be replicated by Pino - Daltrey and Townsend probably would want it replicated anyway!

[quote name='urbanx' timestamp='1435533432' post='2809873']
Might be my age, but I thought they were terrible.
Looking at it from a "If I saw them up my local" point of view instead of a "I know they're rock royalty" point of view.... If I saw them play like that up my local, I'd go home early for a few tinnies - Just sloppy has-beens resting on their fame laurels

Really disappointing after seeing some decent performances by them not too long ago (Superbowl etc.)
[/quote]

I'm glad someone else said that before I did! I like the Who, but the energy, anger and tension which I associate them with are no longer in evidence. They made some amazing music in their time, but I'm not sure this represents it that well. This being a bass forum, it's tempting to put this down to the lack of Entwhistle, but I think I miss Keith Moon's drumming as much, maybe even more so.

I've never been a Who fan but I watched tonight and thought they were great.

Obviously they're not going to sound like they did 50 years ago and slagging them off because they're not 20 any more is petty. They are one of the originals and the world will be a sadder and less enjoyable place when these guys and the others of their time stop gigging.