Why become a member? ×

Amp for switching between guitar and bass at gigs

kristo

I play in a three piece blues band and we generally have two set ups; fully electric with me on bass with a guitarist and drummer, and an acoustic set up with me on guitar with another guitarist and cajon. The acoustic side is getting quie a lot of gigs now, and I want to incorporate bass into the set. I have an acoustic bass at home for practising, so I think I'm going to get a K & K Pure Bass fitted into this. I know I'll need an amp, and I've been on the hunt for one anyway as a stage monitor for our acoustic gigs.
Does anyone have any recommendations for an amp that can handle acoustic bass and acoustic guitar for gigs. I've looked at Fishman Loudbox's but I'm not sure they'll handle the low end. The Phil Jones bass Cub looks like a good bet. Any other recommendations? Cheers.

Personally I'd just take a bass+amp and DI the acoustic guitar.

Alternatively I'd think any clean bass amp with a cab that has a tweeter would do a passable job with acoustic guitar (e.g go for one of the more "full range" and uncoloured bass cabs).

Thanks for the tips. If I run my Martin acoustic (with K & K Pure Mini) into a clean bass amp I'm guessing an EQ pedal before would help a lot. I know the impedance of Boss EQ pedals matches the K & K's, but would I be better off with a bass EQ or guitar EQ?

I use a PJB Suitcase, with the two independent channels it's perfect for two instruments.
Although a bass amp, any acoustic instruments I've put through it sound absolutely gorgeous, guitar, bass, doublebass, mandolin, ukulele, 12 string.......
Masses of bottom end but sparkly clean top end with the 12 string or mandolin.

I absolutely love mine and am at serious risk of boring people rigid about it.

Edited by Maude

[quote name='kristo' timestamp='1435669808' post='2811185']
Thanks for the tips. If I run my Martin acoustic (with K & K Pure Mini) into a clean bass amp I'm guessing an EQ pedal before would help a lot. I know the impedance of Boss EQ pedals matches the K & K's, but would I be better off with a bass EQ or guitar EQ?
[/quote]

Guitar EQ makes the most sense - you're likely to want to control the mids to ensure there's enough fullness without mud and to control the top end to prevent 'brain-darts'. If you have a bass EQ then no reason not to try that first.