Why become a member? ×

Yes - where now?

Bilbo

Is there not a version of Creedence touring with 2 of the original members but no John Fogerty? To me, that seems wrong.

Yes without Jon Anderson? Thats wrong as well. If Billy Sherwood or someone similar takes over, I don`t see any reason why they won`t continue. The band have proved in the past that no one is irreplaceable.

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1435649314' post='2810875']
I think Nick Beggs would be perfect for this gig and might inject some vitality back into the band. Just my opinion though.
[/quote]
And a pretty good one!

I think that Bilbo was right when he said that the various members may still want to play and continue to make a living. Going out as Yes means a guaranteed crowd and makes it a lot easier. To me it wouldn't be Yes without Chris Squire and/or Anderson and I very much doubt that I would buy a big price ticket, but I can't blame the remaining members for wanting to go out and play...

Dunno who we think we are, telling bands when they should stop. It's a very negative attitude and to me, the easy option rather than suggesting how best they could continue instead. But that's human nature I guess, sadly. Are we not better than that?

Leave 'em to do what they do 'make music', buy it if you like it, go see 'em if you like 'em, don't if you don't. It's not like they're causing us any personal difficulty by doing so.

As for Yes, Rick Wakeman did indeed say he could see a version of Yes continuing long after the current and previous members were dead, the way orchestras keep going. They hadn't (at the time he said it) had weak members, so, as long as they bring in people with appropriate talent and vision to keep making Yes music (however that is defined) it could happen. I doubt it will but in the meantime I for one am happy to see them and every other band that finds itself in this kind of situation carry on as they see fit. And if I don't enjoy it, so what? There's still their back catalogue to relish in.

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1435666976' post='2811131']
"Dunno who we think we are etc........"

We're the people who pay their wages.
[/quote]
I often get a chicken biryani from my local curry house. Doesn't give me the right to tell them how to run their restaurant though.

[quote name='stevebasshead' timestamp='1435666698' post='2811121']
Dunno who we think we are, telling bands when they should stop. It's a very negative attitude and to me, the easy option rather than suggesting how best they could continue instead. But that's human nature I guess, sadly. Are we not better than that?

[/quote]

We're not telling anybody to do anything, just expressing opinions.

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1435666976' post='2811131']
"Dunno who we think we are etc........"

We're the people who pay their wages.
[/quote]Not really. Because you're not under any obligation to, you know. I tried to convey that when I said about buying their music / seeing them live if you liked what they were doing, don't if you don't...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1435667919' post='2811153']

We're not telling anybody to do anything, just expressing opinions.
[/quote]Splitting hairs a bit but ok, in the very strictest sense you're right. In the slightly looser 'you know what I meant' sense I'm still of the opinion that negativity shouldn't be the first recourse. But sadly accept that there are people who take that route.

I suppose the fans will make the decision. If they are going to stop going to concerts and buying records, then i guess it is time to stop. The Who are still selling out, so why should they stop? Lynyrd Skynyrd have probably been the biggest tribute band in the world, but they still sell tickets to concerts. Younger fans who never got the opportunity to see these bands 30 years ago, may still keep their fires burning. I`m all for them carrying on, if that is their decision. I think it is a shame that people think it is disrespectful to people who have died, when they are replaced. Look what would have happened to AC/DC after Bonn Scott had died. If it was up too the selfish fans of the 70`s, they would have folded. Even today, some Bonn Scott fans would not accept AC/DC are still going.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1435671709' post='2811231']

Sadly accept???? That's not at all patronising is it. Jeez some people on here.
EDIT, sorry, I missed a bit, who the Hell do you think you are?

IN SOME OF OUR OPINIONS YES SHOULD NOT GO ON WITHOUT CHRIS.
Some of us grew up marvelling at him and those memories will go with us to our end.
[/quote]
Your last sentence describes me, I am one of the 'some of us'.

My original comments were general in nature but your edit in your reply above makes this somewhat personal. I won't derail the thread by responding here. I'll take this offline and pm you instead.

The big question you have to ask is:
Is Yes Chris Squire's backing band?
Was Queen Freddie Mercury's backing band?
Is Rush Geddy Lee's backing band?

If not, how much creative input do the other members bring to the table.

The recent Prog series on Radio 2 shed some light on the creative processes behind King Crimson and Yes. I don't think Yes can continue in a similar way that Rush and Queen cannot continue as they are/were without those key elements.

I'm sure many of us have been in band writing partnerships where one member has left and shortly after the band implodes due to a lack of cohesion in the writing process.

The Who seem to have managed fairly well. It's just different.

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1435671011' post='2811216']
This is starting to get out of control. Suffice to say that if the fans (i.e. us) didn't buy their tickets or their music they would have no income.
[/quote]I think that as a bass forum may well see it differently to other fans. Their many line up changes may help to keep them going, as there is already a bassist in situ.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1435674147' post='2811270']
The big question you have to ask is:
Is Yes Chris Squire's backing band?
Was Queen Freddie Mercury's backing band?
Is Rush Geddy Lee's backing band?

If not, how much creative input do the other members bring to the table.

The recent Prog series on Radio 2 shed some light on the creative processes behind King Crimson and Yes. I don't think Yes can continue in a similar way that Rush and Queen cannot continue as they are/were without those key elements.

I'm sure many of us have been in band writing partnerships where one member has left and shortly after the band implodes due to a lack of cohesion in the writing process.

The Who seem to have managed fairly well. It's just different.
[/quote] The Who are different as in Pete Townshend is the creative person in the band. That is probably why they survived. The bands that you were in that imploded are probably totally different from these professional bands, as they could probably employ people to write for them. There would be loads of bass players wanting to fill Geddy Lee`s shoes if they decide to carry on. Whether it would work, i am not sure.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1435675195' post='2811298']
The Who are different as in Pete Townshend is the creative person in the band. That is probably why they survived. The bands that you were in that imploded are probably totally different from these professional bands, as they could probably employ people to write for them. There would be loads of bass players wanting to fill Geddy Lee`s shoes if they decide to carry on. Whether it would work, i am not sure.
[/quote]

I think you're agreeing with me there while appearing to disagree. :D

Remove the major creative element of the band and you don't have a band.

If they are happy enough with their current dep bassist, they don't have to apologise to anyone for continuing with him.

It may not be the same, but if they have a legal entitlement to use the name they may as well....

I also agree that Pino Palladino was a totally wrong choice for The Who......

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1435675195' post='2811298']
The Who are different as in Pete Townshend is the creative person in the band. That is probably why they survived.
[/quote]

That's an interesting point. A rock band is different from an orchestra because it's expected to create the music as well as play it. Problem is, the creative spark tends to diminish with age, so you end up with bands that, even if they still have the song writers, they're not creating anything new that is anywhere close to what they did in their prime. But, people are still happy to see Pete and Roger, or Mick and Keith, so long as they play the old stuff. In Yes, I'm not sure who people would go to see. Could it be just Jon Anderson?

If Thin Lizzy can continue (after a fashion) without Phil Lynott, then I think Yes should at least be allowed the option of going on without CS.

I personally would find them a far less interesting band, but that's [i][b]my[/b][/i] problem - not theirs.

The lack of the 'Andersonic touch' has been all too apparent in the last 2 Yes studio releases, though the most recent was slightly better you got the feeling that Davison was trying to ape Anderson in writing a bit which didn't quite work either.

I think a lot of bands lose their creative spark because their writing is based on limited material and the well runs dry. Jon Anderson has always written astonishingly sophisticated music because his 'muse' is 'everything' not just a narrow stylistic field. Squire was a bit narrower but still good, as was Howe but, after those three, it gets REALLY formulaic. I think Yes have a chance if Anderson comes out to play. If not, it may be the beginning of the end. A Steve Howe solo project may be more credible.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1435690438' post='2811546']
Yes without Squire would be like chips without, er... Fish.
[/quote]

Is that not Marillion you're thinking about? Or possibly Erik Estrada :lol:

I personally would not go to see Chic as there's no Bernard but they're clearly still popular and still going so good on them. They're bass player is fantastic but he's not Bernard - suppose that's the same argument regarding Bon and Brian in AC/DC.

When I think of Yes I think about the fact that each member has a very unique and distinctive sound and way of playing. When one member goes do you try to mimic the missing member or try something different again that will make you unique? I personally think Dave Meros from Spocks Beard could pull it off but then you need to think about the missing harmonies as well.

They've been doing it long enough, I'm sure if there's a way to do it they will. Hell we might even get a Yes/Asia/Buggles/etc combined gig