Why become a member? ×

Yes - where now?

Bilbo

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1435667784' post='2811149']
if all your curry house customers went in and complained I'm sure they'd pay attention. (or go out of business)
[/quote]

Complaining that they no longer have Chris Squire is unlikely to result in his resurrection. The powers of Basschat members have certain limits.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1435690438' post='2811546']
When I think of Yes I think of Chris Squire. 'Twas ever thus, even before I took up bass. Yes without Squire would be like chips without, er... Fish.
[/quote]

When I think of Yes, I think of Anderson, Howe, and Wakeman. Always have, always will.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1435704329' post='2811757']
When I think of Yes, I think of Anderson, Howe, and Wakeman. Always have, always will.
[/quote] Not that it has really got much to do with any of this, but i really enjoy Wakeman on Planet Rock

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1435713973' post='2811797']
Isn't the whole point of prog to progress (even if some of the fans want you to remain in a timewarp and stick to what they feel was the bands best lineup & stylistic output)?
[/quote]

Good point.

Seemed to work for Genesis.

Ah. No wait... :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1435690438' post='2811546']
Yes without Squire would be like chips without, er... Fish.
[/quote]
[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1435702232' post='2811734']
Is that not Marillion you're thinking about?
[/quote]

Oh, ha ha. 'Fish' was Squire's band nickname, as I'm sure you know. Thhp! :P

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1435713973' post='2811797']
Isn't the whole point of prog to progress (even if some of the fans want you to remain in a timewarp and stick to what they feel was the bands best lineup & stylistic output)?
[/quote]

In its early days perhaps, now it's just a broad label which seems to cause consternation for some but rarely for those that actually listen to it.

[quote name='stevebasshead' timestamp='1435666698' post='2811121']
Dunno who we think we are, telling bands when they should stop. It's a very negative attitude and to me, the easy option rather than suggesting how best they could continue instead. But that's human nature I guess, sadly. Are we not better than that?

Leave 'em to do what they do 'make music', buy it if you like it, go see 'em if you like 'em, don't if you don't. It's not like they're causing us any personal difficulty by doing so.
[/quote]
It's an attitude that seems, to me, to be uniquely British. Thankfully, in most other countries, if a band has a good live reputation, or releases a great album, then yer foreign punter, regardless of lineup or age, will be interested. Not so here! We prefer our bands in their "heyday", after that, they should go away and retire gracefully!
Most bands of a certain age and a developing lineup, while aware of their "heyday", will still think they have something to say and hope that enough people will want to hear it.
To say that bands like Yes, The Who, Deep Purple etc should knock it on the head is, frankly, ridiculous and short sighted.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1435743349' post='2811937']

It's an attitude that seems, to me, to be uniquely British. Thankfully, in most other countries, if a band has a good live reputation, or releases a great album, then yer foreign punter, regardless of lineup or age, will be interested. Not so here! We prefer our bands in their "heyday", after that, they should go away and retire gracefully!
Most bands of a certain age and a developing lineup, while aware of their "heyday", will still think they have something to say and hope that enough people will want to hear it.
To say that bands like Yes, The Who, Deep Purple etc should knock it on the head is, frankly, ridiculous and short sighted.
[/quote]

The stereotypical Brit doesn't like change.

Go to Spain for your holiday, even emigrate. So long as you can get fish and chips and The Sun. ;)

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1435744686' post='2811958']

I know you are a legendary bassist, but yet another one with the demeaning patronising comments.
WHY IS MY OPINION RIDICULOUS AND SHORT SIGHTED, yet yours is so blindingly right?
Don't bother to answer, it's rhetorical, I won't be back up here. Too many "I'm right, you are an idiot for having a different opinion" now frequent this forum.
[/quote]

You're too sensitive.

Don't think he's calling you an idiot.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1435743349' post='2811937']
[/quote]

Actually what seems to happen in Britain from my experience is that people still turn up in numbers (though less than they once did) to see these bands even when they clearly can't quite live up to their live reputation any more and release less than great albums. I think on the whole they show remarkable loyalty. Yes and Deep Purple are two of my favourite bands and in no post have I suggested what they 'should' do, merely pointed out likely options. But I'm not blind nor deaf, time waits for no man.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1435744686' post='2811958']
I know you are a legendary bassist, but yet another one with the demeaning patronising comments.
WHY IS MY OPINION RIDICULOUS AND SHORT SIGHTED, yet yours is so blindingly right?
Don't bother to answer, it's rhetorical, I won't be back up here. Too many "I'm right, you are an idiot for having a different opinion" now frequent this forum.
[/quote]
Sorry if you feel my post was "demeaning" and "patronising" - certainly not intended.
Maybe I should have added IMO, I figured that was a given.

EDIT:
karlfer, I'm not sure why you think that my post was personally directed at you, it wasn't! It was a general comment on what I see as a uniquely British attitude.
And I would NEVER call anyone an "Idiot".

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1435745296' post='2811972']

Sorry if you feel my post was "demeaning" and "patronising" - certainly not intended.
Maybe I should have added IMO, I figured that was a given.
[/quote]
I didn't think that you were being demeaning or patronising, just expressing an opinion based on experience of having played in other parts of the world

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1435745747' post='2811981']
I didn't think that you were being demeaning or patronising, just expressing an opinion based on experience of having played in other parts of the world
[/quote]
Thanks Pete.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1435745072' post='2811968']
The inference is there, a frequent inference on many threads in Off Topic and General Discussion.
And I don't need you telling me I'm too sensitive, keep it to your self.
[/quote]

:rolleyes:

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1435732625' post='2811822']
Good point.

Seemed to work for Genesis.

Ah. No wait... :D
[/quote]...and Genesis went a bridge too far by trying to survive without Collins - a cancelled American tour. Ok, a frontman ain't a bass player. I think the creative tank was empty for Yes a very long time ago Squire or not, so that isn't going to be a factor. Like has already been said it'll be the fans who vote with their wallets.

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1435649314' post='2810875']
I think Nick Beggs would be perfect for this gig and might inject some vitality back into the band. Just my opinion though.
[/quote]wouldn't surprise me if Lee Pomeroy jumped on the wagon, he's been Wakemans touring bassist for years.

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1435779099' post='2812419']
wouldn't surprise me if Lee Pomeroy jumped on the wagon, he's been Wakemans touring bassist for years.
[/quote]

Plus the It Bites connection. Although he was playing parts already written.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1435738295' post='2811873']
Oh, ha ha. 'Fish' was Squire's band nickname, as I'm sure you know. Thhp! :P
[/quote]

"Fish" was the only thing that Marillion stole that didn't come from Genesis....

Not quite true - Fish was "Fish" before he joined Marillion - a nickname given him by his friends due to the long hours he allegedly spent in the bath, while lodging as a trainee forestry worker before his musical career took off. The nickname was snappier than his real name (Derek Dick) so it stuck.

<anorak mode off>

And whilst its hard to deny that the B side of their first single "Grendel" does owe more than a little to aspects of Super Ready, that's just one track from a 30 year career (4 albums with Fish and 10 with his successor, Steve Hogarth). The Marillion of today is a very different beast from the Marillion of 30 years ago, and continues to boast a superb bassist in Pete Trewavas.

Both Fishes knew each other from the touring circuit and got on well, Singer Fish paid a moving tribute to bassist Fish on Facebook on Sunday.
Here is what he said:

"there is a dark cloud over us all today:-(

I've just heard that Chris Squire has passed away. There was a post on Billy Sherwood's page that was soon removed and I hoped it was a hack. However both John Wetton and Geoff Downes tweeted to confirm we have lost him.

I first saw him on stage at the Edinburgh Usher Hall back in 1975. It was my very first concert and I was catching my then favorite band. I admit to being so impressed with the big guy on bass that It played a big part when I welcomed the suggestion from friends to adopt his nickname. It was a bit embarrassing when we first met backstage in L.A. when I was on an American tour with Marillion. "Fish meet Fish" being the introduction.

We met several times over the years and I have fond memories of a lovely guy with a brooding dark side that oozed danger. We partied very hard a few times and opened quite a few story boxes in the late hours of a morning.

He was a brilliantly talented bass player and master musician and I hold him up there with the best I have ever seen or heard.

Another legend lost, RIP Fish."

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1435649314' post='2810875']
I think Nick Beggs would be perfect for this gig and might inject some vitality back into the band. Just my opinion though.
[/quote]

Yep agree Nick might be a great choice altho his style has changed quite a bit and maybe not quite suit YES these days.
Huge fan of Nicks work tho especially with Steve Wilson at the moment.

They might go down the route of bringing in someone from a good covers band that is already playing the material.
Pretty sure there must be some great YES cover bands out there.

You would obviously lose Chris's writing input but sometimes a little give and take.

I haven't really followed YES in recent years and only have a few of their albums.
Huge respect for Chris and his bass style and sound tho.

Dave

Or they might just stick with Billy Sherwood, Chris's choice to dep for him while he was having treatment. He has been part of the Yes camp on and off for more than 20 years and has played a bit of bass live with them before (on the Talk tour).

That crossed my mind too. The problem that they will have live is the loss of that big presence on the right hand side of the stage and how audiences react to it long term. The current shows with Sherwood were booked with him being a fill-in and folks would no doubt go to shows with a view of 'Shame, but Chris will be back next time'. But now it's different. There are a decent number of players technically up to the challenge (bass-wise, think it might be a struggle to find someone with the vocal capability as well) but they are not necessarily big characters with the stage presence to match. And it will be important because the live work is where the money is now for them rather than album sales. To carry on as a viable business they need the numbers at the shows.