Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz, Japan, 75 reissue -- x2!!! *** BOTH SOLD ***
£700

mcnach

The arrival of the Maruszczyk Jake P/JJ means that I have too many Jazz basses, but the Jake has a much nicer neck for my liking (I like chunky Precision type necks, and I only play Jazzes *despite* the thin necks because I love their sound)... so I decided that I should let at least one of my natural/maple 75RI go.

There is a problem, 'though... I CANNOT MAKE UP MY MIND WHICH ONE!!!

So I'm putting both for sale... and the first one to go will be the one, and I'll keep the other.

Whichever one gets sold, [b]the price includes[/b]:

[b]- a set of USA Jazz pickups [/b](came from yet another 75RI, a 2002. Not all have the USA pickups, but this one did)
[b]- chrome pickup covers[/b], never installed.
[b]- black 3-ply pickguard[/b]
[b]- SKB hard case[/b]

[u][size=6][b]1996 Fender Jazz 75RI - Made in Japan[/b][/size][/u]

[b]Natural ash body, maple fingerboard with pearl blocks and cream/white binding.[/b]

This bass belonged to Bubinga5, who got it from someone in Edinburgh who was the first owner and arranged to import it directly from Japan it seems. There was some paperwork to that effect but I'm not sure I remember where I put it :blush: I'll do my best to find it and include it, but if not, its provenance can easily be tracked down through these two outstanding BC members and I'd assist you in communicating with them if you wish.

I know there's some distinction among some people about "MIJ" and "CIJ" Japanese instruments... This one just says "Made in Japan" in the headstock and nothing else at the heel. Some later ones say, in addition "made in Japan" at the heel (like my 2010), and some "crafted in Japan" (like my 2002). Regarding quality diffences... I can't say. All three 75RI Jazzes I have owned were really nice.

These basses have normally a gloss lacquered neck, but before I bought it the back of the neck has been lightly sanded to remove the lacquer. I personally love the lacquered necks, but not everybody shares my love for them!

It's nearly 20 years old, but you wouldn't know it. It has been really well looked after. There are no significant dings or marks to speak of. The frets are also in very good condition. It's a lovely bass to play.

The original pickups have been replaced by humbucking [b]DiMarzio Model J [/b]pickups. It still sounds most definitely *Jazz*, but you don't get the single coil hum typical of these basses when using only one of the pickups.

It has a [b]John East J-Retro preamp[/b] installed, which sounds monstruous with this bass, and the range of sounds you can get is amazing. I'm a big fan of the J/U-Retro preamps. It has 3 stacked knob controls:
1) volume+pickup blend
2) bass + treble (boost only for bass, boost/cut for treble)
3) midrange frequency sweep selector + mids boost/cut
It has two miniswitches. One controls something about how the two pickups interact when together (I don't know, it's all in the instructions of the preamp ;) and the other is a passive/active switch. When in passive mode, the other switch allows you to select bridge pickup alone, or both together (you lose one combination... although it can be swapped to make the neck available instead of the bridge if so desired). The preamp also has internal trimpots to adjust how hot its signal is and to allow adjusting balance between pickups

Currently the bass has one of those Fender bridges with threaded saddles that allow some rough string spacing adjustment. I plan to reinstall the original bridge as I am planning to use the threaded one in another bass.

[u][size=6][b]2010 Fender Jazz 75RI - Made in Japan[/b][/size][/u]

Natural ash body, maple fingerboard and black blocks and binding.

I bought this one from another basschatter whose username is "Me and My Bass" [color=#696969][s]I forget now but I'll find out[/s][/color]... Chris, a lovely Glaswegian, his username was something about "play my bass" or something along those lines :lol:. Again, I'm happy to assist any new buyer to contact him if they want to find out more about the life of this bass before it reached me.

This one says "Made in Japan" at the heel, as well as at the headstock.
It's in fantastic condition as well, no significant dings or marks to speak of. The back of the neck is glossy lacquered.

This bass has active EMG pickups installed, with the battery snugly placed within the control cavity, just like in the J-Retro preamp above. Huge sound. I believe I still have the original wiring loom. I'll look for it, if I find it I'll include it, and any paperwork that might have been given to me with it... if I can find it. I've been reorganising my music room and it means I can't find anything anymore! :huh:

The knobs shown are a little small for these controls and I intend to remove them and refit the chrome ones that came with it. I may have some black ones if you prefer too, I can look if you wish. I intend to use those knobs on another bass... but I you don't mind the unsightly gap these leave at the bottom and really really want them, I can leave them on for you :lol:

[u][color=#ff0000][size=5][b]Price[/b][/size][/color][/u] [b][size=5]*********************************************[/size][/b]
I'm looking for [b]£650[/b] for the 1996 (pearl blocks) one and [b]£600[/b] for the 2010 one (black blocks).
I can post if required, at buyer's cost.
I'm not looking for trades, as I have my eye on a custom bass...

[b][size=5]Ok, photographs!!!! :)[/size][/b]

First, both of them together:

Now a few of the 1996 (white blocks) alone:

and the 2010 (black blocks):

Edited by mcnach

Oh, the 1996 one has DR Fat Beam stainless steel strings, only just recently fitted (45-65-80-105), and the 2010 has nickel Rotosound strings 45-105, these have been on for a bit longer but it's barely been used so they still have a lot of life in them, if you like these strings.

A few enquiries but nothing solid so far... and I keep changing my mind as to which one I'd prefer to keep, argh! :rolleyes: :P
I like the sound of the EMGs, so I'm leaning towards that and I already have another bass with the J-Retro... but I'm a sucker for the pearl blocks look :lol:

The 1996, MoP one used to be mine - I bought it through John at Fareast Guitars in about 2005. Best neck I've ever played. Wish I could justify getting this back...

Feel free to ask any questions, if you have them.

Im a big fan of those DiMarzio pick up's and had some in a old bass (which got nicked) I think they make a nice meaty but still 'jazzy' like you say. If you're a P bass sound type of player but wanna try a jazz these are the pick ups for you!

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1435838019' post='2812877']
Oh i do miss her Jose.!!! :(
[/quote]

It is a very nice bass, I understand why you were so attached to it!
I'm glad you are enjoying the Lakland 55-02 I traded you for the Jazz :) Your thread about it made me miss it too, but I have a lot more use for the Jazz.

I've always had a love/hate relationship with the Jazz bass: I love the sounds it makes, but I don't get along with slim necks like those. That did not stop me from buying quite a few Jazz basses over the years!!! :lol:

That one in particular, with the figured ash body and the pearl type blocks, is stunning.

I haven't gigged with it (gigs have been exclusively with the Precision or the Maruszczyk P/JJ in the past months), but I used it for a few rehearsals and it's lovely.

[quote name='Simon.' timestamp='1435850446' post='2813053']
The 1996, MoP one used to be mine - I bought it through John at Fareast Guitars in about 2005. Best neck I've ever played. Wish I could justify getting this back...

Feel free to ask any questions, if you have them.
[/quote]

Thank you, Simon! :)

Ah, so you were not the first owner? I always thought you were!

I had one similar to the 1996 that I imported used from Japan in 2008. I was living in Edinburgh and sold it to some guy but I can't remember his name. I had it for 3 months but had to sell it in order to buy a flight somewhere, always regretted it!

It's ticking all the boxes for me....Edinburgh, J-Retro, sanded neck...argh! Tempting.

[quote name='N64Lover' timestamp='1435862999' post='2813213']
I had one similar to the 1996 that I imported used from Japan in 2008. I was living in Edinburgh and sold it to some guy but I can't remember his name. I had it for 3 months but had to sell it in order to buy a flight somewhere, always regretted it!

It's ticking all the boxes for me....Edinburgh, J-Retro, sanded neck...argh! Tempting.
[/quote]

well, if you're in Edinburgh... that must be a sign! It left Edinburgh and I brought it back, clearly it wants to stay! :P

great avatar!!! I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me at first! :lol:

[quote name='paullakins' timestamp='1436466266' post='2818427']
How much for the white block inlays one?
[/quote]

£650 will get you it, with a SKB hard case and a spare set of Fender pickups :)

[b]due to some extra expense anticipated next week... [u]FOR ONE WEEK ONLY[/u] [*]: [/b]

2010 '75 re-issue Fender Jazz with EMG pickups, black blocks, and SKB hard case - [b]£500[/b]

or

1996 '75 re-issue Fender Jazz with DiMarzio Model J pickups, J-Retro preamp, white blocks, and SKB hard case - [b]£550[/b]

[*] cash must be in my account by Friday 17th July

After that, I will have made other arrangements and I will not be in a hurry to sell, so price will go up again. :)

ive been toying with the idea of selling my spector to get that 96, left it too late (not that id sell quick). you snooze you lose I guess :)

out of interest do these have to 70,s pickup spacing, as ive heard the japanese reissues dont ?

Edited by lee650

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1436690985' post='2819920']
ive been toying with the idea of selling my spector to get that 96, left it too late (not that id sell quick). you snooze you lose I guess :)

out of interest do these have to 70,s pickup spacing, as ive heard the japanese reissues dont ?
[/quote]

Yes, these two have 70s spacing. I have another 75RI (a 2002) with 60s spacing and pearl blocks that I had refinished in coral red (the grain was not pretty, unlike these two), which in the end is the one I'm keeping because I have a thing for red basses :lol: