Why become a member? ×

Pino's Bass at Glasto

philw

Anybody else notice Pino playing with The Who using what looked like a P bass with two big chrome Tele bass style humbuckers with then a third plastic cased humbucker right up against the neck? Fascinating Jim...

Not exactly like his Fender signature model.

P

Back in 2010 this came up on Talkbass and got this answer after 11 pages of chat

"Hi there,

I asked a friend at Fender's. He confirmed the Fender CS built a P with T-bird pick ups. It's a one off and no more will be built"

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/threads/halftime-show-pinos-bass.626707/page-11"]http://www.talkbass.com/threads/halftime-show-pinos-bass.626707/page-11[/url]

Hahaha Fender must've really loved making that order :lol:

Yes Hello Pino here, could I order one of your finest basses please, but this time can you fit some proper pickups
Yes that's right, Gibson pickups. Pffft

Edited by Dazed

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1435608583' post='2810615']
The bass started out with the T-bird pickups, and the EB pickup looks like a new addition. I guess he can get different Entwistle eras with different pickup combinations.

I don't see a decal on the headstock.
[/quote]
Apparently the EB pickup was added by the Bass Gallery; that's where the pic is from.

The unclear decal has led some to suggest it might be a Bluesman. Here's a Bluesman Jazz bass:

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1435607506' post='2810587']

Fender Custom Shop Precision with two Gibson Thunderbird pickups and later added Gibson EB neck humbucker.
[/quote]

At Glastonbury that neck pick up had a white cover and resembled a Telecaster bass neck humbucker without the chrome cover.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1435618067' post='2810786']
At Glastonbury that neck pick up had a white cover and resembled a Telecaster bass neck humbucker without the chrome cover.
[/quote]
I didn't notice that and there may be a clue below ...

I got the pic from Bass Gallery Facebook page 31/03/15 [url="https://www.facebook.com/thebassgalleryuk?ref=stream&hc_location=stream"]https://www.facebook.com/thebassgalleryuk?ref=stream&hc_location=stream[/url]

[quote]
A familiar face stopped by today to pick up a couple of his basses that have been in the workshop getting some mods...!
Pictured here is our friend Pino Palladino with his signature Fender Custom Shop loaded with a couple of Gibson Thunderbird pickups that he's being using on a recent tour with D'Angelo & The Who. Martin, over the weekend, fitted it with an additional 70's Gibson EB neck pickup... What a beast of a bass!! (seriously, I want one myself)
Also he brought in a Squier VM Telecaster Bass Special that has now been fitted with a Korg Kaoss Pad Mini 2S.

Watch this space...[/quote]

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1435618067' post='2810786']
[/quote]

I thought that on the close up but other shots looked more 'normal' - I think it was possible a reflection on the chrome making it look white.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1435605295' post='2810549']
Yes, it's mentioned in "The Who at Glastonbury" thread in General Discussion, there's even a close up pic of it.
[/quote]

Serves me right for not looking for a thread there then!

P

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1435608583' post='2810615']
The bass started out with the T-bird pickups, and the EB pickup looks like a new addition. I guess he can get different Entwistle eras with different pickup combinations.

I don't see a decal on the headstock.
[/quote]
I do. It's a Fender decal.