Why become a member? ×

Vintage Jazz Bass - New pickups, or pickup rewind/potting?

Hi all,

So, it appears that the pickups on my old 75 Jazz Bass have turned a bit microphonic, and they are squealing like crazy when I use any overdrive.

I have contacted Jon at Hot Rod pickups regarding getting both pickups rewound (as close as possible to original spec) and/or wax potted, but I wondered what the general opinion is on this? Would I be better off just getting some new pickups, taking these out, and putting them safely aside somewhere in case I decide to sell the bass at some point? Has anyone had positive or negative experiences with getting vintage pickups rewound?

Please let me know your thoughts guys!

Unless there is evidence of a short (i.e. significant drop in pickup resistance) I'd look at a straightforward re-potting. Best way to get rid of any feedback issues.

If you feel like a change, try other pickups all you like - but keep the originals with the bass. Repotting them shouldn't effect resale value - probably increase it (like a good refret is worth more than wore out frets).