Why become a member? ×

New Drive Pedal, Suggestions Please :)

danny-79

I'm looking to upgrade the Boss Overdrive pedal what would you suggest?
I want something similar but crisper, less muddy, more drive with sharper definition that will work well with the VT Bass.

Thanks for reading an I look forward to hearing your suggestions :)

[URL=http://s1014.photobucket.com/user/01952danny-79/media/PT%20Nano%20Mk2%204%20-%20Copy.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af266/01952danny-79/PT%20Nano%20Mk2%204%20-%20Copy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I'd say take a look at the COG TK-421-X & the MXR Bass Distortion (designed by Fuzzrocious) too.
Those two and the B3K are probably the best Bass Distortions with a blend at the mo :).

There are lots others that probably fall more into the Overdrive or Fuzz categories, it can all be a bit grey lol

Si

Thanks, note taken and on my way to have a look, its the Darkglass B3K that's got my attention at the min, selling some pedals to generate some cash.

The VT is a monster in its self, its hard to explain in words, Orange Terror + the VT with SunBlue Stingray is something !! add the octave to it and its too much, collapse in a mush ! something is going to give (that's ware I'm thinking a Thumpinator will come in ? correct me if im wrong)

I use the OBD3 by its self and with the MB octave mainly, just fiddly .

Edited by danny-79

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1435672792' post='2811246']
Orange Terror is a really good match for the B3K too, it's a dark sounding amp which helps tame the brightness of the pedal.
[/quote]

The GAS is building for the BK3 ..... :)

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1435688961' post='2811528']
There is a bargain COG EFFECTS knightfall for sale in the e,f,s forum..............that would sound lovely with the VT.I used to use the knightfall 66 into the VT and it was ace.
[/quote]

Definitely this, listen to Dan...If I didn't have one already, that Knightfall would be MINE! ;-)

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1435820020' post='2812623']
I made the Monte Allums mod to my ODB3, did everything you describe in your first post here. It transformed the pedal into something much more usable and controllable.
[/quote]

Just had a listen to that mod, really does improve the pedal doesn't it!!

Si

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1435820020' post='2812623']
I made the Monte Allums mod to my ODB3, did everything you describe in your first post here. It transformed the pedal into something much more usable and controllable.
[/quote]

Not heard of this, tell me more please :)

[quote name='danny-79' timestamp='1435849918' post='2813042']

Not heard of this, tell me more please :)
[/quote]

Think you should search Google for Monte Allums. Tonnes of great info. You pay the money and he sends you replacement caps, led's, etc... If you are ok with a soldering iron the instructions are fairly easy to follow. Took me about 30 mins to make the mod and I am not the best with a soldering iron.

Mod brings the gain under control somewhat and the three way switch opens up many tonal options. It works great with guitar too.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1435866214' post='2813255']

Think you should search Google for Monte Allums. Tonnes of great info. You pay the money and he sends you replacement caps, led's, etc... If you are ok with a soldering iron the instructions are fairly easy to follow. Took me about 30 mins to make the mod and I am not the best with a soldering iron.

Mod brings the gain under control somewhat and the three way switch opens up many tonal options. It works great with guitar too.
[/quote]

Impressed, very impressed, this is something I am going to put some thought into, nice thanks for the tip !

[quote name='danny-79' timestamp='1436015392' post='2814342']
That's not bad either ! and nearly half the price of the B3K
Still undecided :P
[/quote]

*and* you could make the Darklighter even better if you talk to Tom... I first experienced the Darklighter in a package designed by another BCer that included a blend knob. Whilst the blend knob is not absolutely necessary, it adds a very nice touch to it as it allows you much better control over the sound.
When I ordered mine, I actually wanted a pedal that included a configurable series/parallel and a number of other additions, so it is housed in a larger box, but a blend alone might just fit in the small enclosure. Mine has two additional filters, suggested by Tom, as the larger box gave lots of extra room and the man has lots of cool ideas :) and the filters control the range of the distortion... Those are the secret weapon of my Darklighter, it helps dialling in just the right kind of drive, and it's really nice.
Talk to Tom, he's great :)

But even stock, it's a fantastic pedal for bass.

[quote name='danny-79' timestamp='1436015392' post='2814342']
That's not bad either ! and nearly half the price of the B3K
Still undecided :P
[/quote]

All depends on what sound you want. The Cog sounds 0% like the Darkglass...

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1436046904' post='2814615']
All depends on what sound you want. The Cog sounds 0% like the Darkglass...
[/quote]

Indeed. The COG sounds... better ;)

Edited by mcnach