Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Shuttle 9 Speakon Experience..

Chaos Daveo

Hello All,

Just thought id share my speakon ignorance with you all as it may help an unfortunate soul along the way and avoid imbarresment.I recently scored a shuttle 9 for dirt cheap and merrily plugged in my spekons last to find the had no output and had jammed right in, bugger so its being sent for repair to get them out without damaging the amp.My question to you all is how many variants of speakon are there (I had always assumed there was only one) and which do i need to buy to sort myself out (I usually run 2 x 2x10 eden nemisis cabs).

Maybe a silly idea but for those not in the know is there a list on bass chat of what amp takes what as a point of refrance might be an idea,knowing me is probably already on here and ive missed the boat..

:)

I thought there was only two types of speakon connectors - the black ones and the green ones. The black ones take ordinary speakon connectors (the ones that are the safest because you will never ever short the contacts out whilst removing them, so it is technically perfectly safe with non-tube amps to disconnect the speaker whilst it is in use!).

The dark green ones also take Speakon connectors but have a larger slot in the middle for taking jacks. These are rarer connectors and I would prefer to never ever use jacks for connecting speakers, particularly if a clueless person puts in a guitar lead as a speaker cable (which would not be thick enough to act as a speaker cable).

As for the connectors themselves, the official ones are Neutrik but you can get cheapo speakon cables from ebay etc. that DO not use official Neutrik connectors and may be of variable quality; I think Neutrik licence the use of them?? I have bought speaker cables on ebay that had rubbish quality speaker cable and non-Neutrik connectors and there are far flimsier than they should be.

There are four pole and two pole versions (NL4 and NL2), the four pole female will accept two pole male connectors but not vice versa. Most manufacturers use the four pole sockets as standard for this reason. There is also an eight pole NL8 version which is physically larger and is generally only seen in larger PA applications when four individual signals (for example: sub, low, mid, hi) can be carried in a single run.