Why become a member? ×

Hello from Ireland

Rocker

I am new to bass so I joined up to learn something. Anything I learn will be appreciated. I mess around with guitars - playing for my own amusement but definitely no plans or hopes of playing in public or gigging. My favourite music is traditional Country with a bit of The Eagles and Creedence Clearwater Revival thrown in. I listen too to classic rock and absolutely love classical piano music especially Chopin, Mozart and Beethoven. The late Rory Gallagher, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC and Status Quo are among my all time favourites. But I always listen to music with an open mind and am always prepared to add another song to my playlist no matter what genre it is.

I live in the midlands of Ireland. Lots of musicians in the area but few play bass! I bought an entry level Aria bass mainly to see what it could do and to get an appreciation of what a bass does to the sound. I managed to work out a few walking bass lines, very simple ones!, and the intro to "Dancing in the Moonlight" by Thin Lizzy.

Looking out for a small bass amp, space in our 'music room' is at a premium. Suggestions are always welcome. At the moment I use my second guitar amp, Orange Micro Terror through a Blackstar 1 * 10" cabinet. Not ideal but it is loud enough for where it is. The Orange/Blackstar combo lacks low down sounds so any amp or a combo that is designed for bass ought to be better.

My music theory knowledge is almost zero. I, and just about every musician that I know, learned to play by ear. Listen to the song/tune and try to replicate it. Some we got right but most wrong. Anyway close enough is good enough.

The years are creeping up on me, I will be sixty next January. Retaining any information is getting harder. But that is the way with life. You do your best.....

Other interests are Golf, clay pigeon shooting, listening to music, Sudoku puzzles, Everton FC supporter, Irish Times reader, DIY and routine garden work.

You guys have a great setup here, well done to all.

Good afternoon, Rocker, and ...

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167528]

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share. Nearly sixty, eh..? To some of us here, that's a young whippersnapper. There are plenty of seniors here; quite a few of 'em are relative beginners (or late starters..?), too.

Howdy Rocker!

Welcome to the place. It's a good spot, hope you enjoy it! I've learned a lot from here, and most of it was true! :lol:

When it comes to amps & cabs - I'd recommend starting a topic over here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/5-amps-and-cabs/"]http://basschat.co.uk/forum/5-amps-and-cabs/[/url] - you'll probably get a good variety of suggestions about your question.