Why become a member? ×

First time gigging - any good tips?

Naetharu

Hi folks,

So I started playing bass a couple of months ago and its pretty much turned into my main passion in life! Anyhow, I've now joined a band and am off to my first rehearsal tomorrow with a view to do the first gig in a couple of weeks. As you can no doubt imagine I'm pretty nervous about it (an excited too!) and so I was just wondering if any of you experienced people have some tips that might help me out. Anything you have picked up over the years that someone as green as me might not think about would be very useful.

Best wishes

James

First gig I played, aged 21-ish, was on guitar and I hid behind the PA for most of it. It was terrifying but immediately got under my skin.

Simple things as advice: as a band you'll rehearse your tunes and your set, but get used to trying to minimize the time spent between songs. Also make sure that you get used to setting up & packing down quickly, and that you have everything that you need in your kit ready to go (spare cables, tuner, cloth or towel, that sort of thing).

Edit: I strongly recommend having a pedalboard all hooked up to a power supply. It prevents flat batteries and makes changes really quick. Plus you know where all your stuff is. ;)

Most of all enjoy. You should have a blast.

Oh, and be nice to the sound man - that's really important!

Edited by hairychris

Keep it simple. In every respect.

Don't load yourself down with pedals, gadgets, surplus equipment ... don't give yourself extra work to do, extra things to worry about, more stuff that can go wrong.

Unless you're entirely money-driven, your first few gigs should be all about the experience and (hopefully) the fun.

Enjoy!

I concur with what Jack said - Defo keep the gear down to a minimum.

Also try and play through/warm up as much as possible at home before you head off so you're not starting off completely cold.
On that note if you're a pick player try not to grip too hard as your hand may cramp up during songs and that ain't nice to deal with!

Just remember to breathe and try to enjoy it as much as possible in between all the other stuff going on :)

In addition to the good points above (keep it simple definitely, and take some simple spares to cover you if things go awry), I'd say try to relax and enjoy the experience - not everyone even gets to play gigs, so you're already doing well!

Playing live is a bit of a different skill to playing at home, and its good to do both. Onstage sound was a shock to me at first, but with a bit of practice you'll be able to pick out what's happening more clearly. I personally carry little foam earplugs with me just in case (and usually use them too if I'm spending the night standing next to cymbals etc)

When i started I had a temptation to play everything i knew in every song to begin with, due to nerves mainly.

A few gigs in, you'll start to relax more and play less, but play better. It'll sound more tasteful and thought out, and then you'll be sounding like a proper musician, and no one will realise you're new to it!

You'll most likely be buzzing at the end of it, and itching to do another one asap.

Enjoy the experience. It's great fun.

Don't worry about it making a mistake. Unless it's a real clanger no one in the crowd will notice(even if is a proper glaring error some don't notice). If you do make a mistake don't draw attention to it.

After the first song, nerves should be sorted and adrenalin kicks in. Watch out for digging in too much and wrecking your fingers

Most important of all: HAVE FUN

Practice your changes. Have some performance rehearsals beforehand - when you're practicing, do the set as if live and make sure your changeovers are slick. ,
Don't get hammered beforehand but you never know, a pint or two might steady your nerves. YMMV.
Think positive. You're on the stage, you're cool, you sound great and screw anyone who disagrees as they're wrong - that kind of thing. Relax. Don't cramp up your hands/arms.
Pick a spot on the stage where you're comfortable, I like being tucked in near the drummer on stage right, but that's just me. Make sure you can hear yourself, raise your amp on a beer crate if needs be (but not too far or you'll lose volume).
Be nice to the soundman. Soundcheck using any/all effects you're going to use if you use any - don't introduce any surprises like cranking up the bass between soundcheck and performance.
Nerves are natural, everyone gets them to a degree. Trick is getting to the point where they keep you sharp, rather than negatively affecting you. Gigging is like anything - the more you do it, the easier it gets...

As a band, rehearse, rehearse and rehearse your set til your bored with it.... Then rehearse it more... You will be sick of playing the same songs over and over, but your audience will be hearing them for the first time and will be thrilled. You will be less than thrilled if you have all made massive mistakes.... Also, show a bit of respect to any other bands/soundmen etc, it doesn't take long for word to get around if you behave like to**ers and the gig offers may dry up pretty quickly if you do.

Remember it's a team sport. If someone makes a mistake, then just give 'em a wink and crack on - cover for them if you can.

Try and keep a bit of eye contact going between the band, it does wonders for keeping in time and also keeping everyone relaxed.

Last one, if you are enjoying it, don't be afraid to show it - the punters like to know you are having a good time, it rubs off.(Loads of bands adopt the mean and moody approach, and consequenty loads of bands are just dull...)

all of the above...some good stuff there.

AlI I'll say is dont over do the "look at me"... bit. The onstage sound may seem a bit disorientating and you'll probaly need all ur concentration just to get everything sounding right..play carefully and it will be fab.

Fantastic advice above! The only tip I can even think of adding:
Do one rehearsal where you're all set up in a typical "Stage" layout.
You dont want to find out you always got a visual cues from a drummer that you now have your back to on stage!
I found out I get very aggressive / clumsy with my headstock, so am now always positioned on the left where I can't hit anyone with it, especially on a little stage.

As has been said. Have a wee before you go on stage.
Remember to enjoy yourself.
Write the key the songs start in on the set list.
Don't tell the audience you're the worlds greatest living rock star.
Have a spare cable handy.
Keep going if you make a mistake. Everybody makes mistakes.

All of the above. You are quite likely to make a mistake, let it go, it happens to everyone. Setting up always takes longer than you think, I'm normally done in 15-20 mins, but as a band it takes waaaay longer; give yourselves 2 hours and then relax if you finish early. Have plenty of multi-way plug boards as venues rarely have copious amount of outlets. If something doesn't appear to be working, don't assume the worst, it'll be something simple like a gain pot turned down or a jack unplugged; don't panic and have a torch handy. It's likely to be hot (British summer weather notwithstanding) take a spare shirt to change into before going on and you can change back afterwards; a small personal luxury, but, as mentioned above, check your flies after the change :D . Most importantly, enjoy it, have fun, it'll show in your playing.