Why become a member? ×

Wanting to change pickups in my Jazz V

Fisheth

So I've got a Squier VM five string bass, which is going to be one of two college basses. I've already gigged with it and it feels sturdy enough and I've decided I want to change pickups in it, to give it some extra oomph. Was looking at the Dimarzio Ultra J set. But I've read things about how they might not fit all basses. Will they fit my Squier?

What pickups would you guys recommend? I'm using my bass as a jack of all trades bass. With my band it's primarally older styled metal tones, so vintage sounding is always a good bet, but I will be playing a lot of different styles. From anything from Daft Punk, to the Foo Fighters and beyond. I am also using various different amps, (It was an Orange Crush 50 yesterday, but it can be anything) however my own personal rig is a Bass Terror into a Barefaced Super Compact.

Many thanks for all the help.

My tutor has Di Marzios in all his Jazz type basses. They are 4-strings though but I believe it's a straight swap. There are probably some mechanical drawings on their website.

I've got ultra jazzes in my Overwater, the dimensions are 94.5mm x 18.5mm. I know they don't fit in the Fender DLX 5 string basses (the ones with the big pole pieces) but I'm not sure about the Squiers.

• 2 weeks later...

A few "I'd imagine" type comments, but from bitter experience MAKE SURE YOURSELF! Measure everything twice before buying anything. Not all Fender pickup routes are the same, especially with their 5 string basses - some of their Mexican 4 strings have the same size route for neck and bridge pickups and some have the mounting lug locations in different places for the same size pickup body. Hurrah for standardization!!! Measure twice, cut once!