Why become a member? ×

NBD: Warwick proline 1996 corvette: dodgy electronics?! Help!

goonieman

Hi All,

I got this lovely bubinga/all wenge neck corvette today. Plays great, sounds great, only the preamp is really weird!

It acts more like a parametric - and the vol knob is not push/pull (were they back in mid-90s?)

Anyway, the 'bass' on the concentric pot has no mid-point indent, while the top 'treble' does. But I get the impression the treble is the mid sweep, whereas the bass is acting like the boost/cut. Moreover (get this) - when the 'treble' is centred on the indent, the 'bass' underneath no longer does anything!

I've been suckered, haven't I ? This is some whole-other hack preamp going on, right? Does it even look like a MEC preamp!?

Forget that piece of plastic in the middle there - some hack job to hold the back plate on. It';ll be gone soon!

Needless to say... advice needed...

I don't want to send it back because I bought it from Spain unseen (I know.... I know... so kill me...). It's covered by ebay rules.

This won't help, but Warwicks sound great in passive mode. I play all mine in passive all the time.

See.. I said this wouldn't help.

On the other hand, if you can get a used pre-amp from another BCer, you'll have a great bass. ( I know the down-side is you thought you wouldn't have to spend anything on it.)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1435681174' post='2811398']

On the other hand, if you can get a used pre-amp from another BCer, you'll have a great bass. ( I know the down-side is you thought you wouldn't have to spend anything on it.)
[/quote]

Quite right - and I don't mind a bit of DIY, but what the h3ll is this doo-hickey in my friggin' bass?!

Sigh. Ebay.... :mellow: :blush:

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1435680677' post='2811388']
Hi All,

I got this lovely bubinga/all wenge neck corvette today. Plays great, sounds great, only the preamp is really weird!

It acts more like a parametric - and the vol knob is not push/pull (were they back in mid-90s?)

[/quote]

It sounds very much like that's what it is - the control with the notch is the boost level and the other is the frequency. Perhaps it's an aftermarket EQ...does the control on the front look the as other prolines ?

Looking at that picture of the control cavity, that volume pot looks odd - not the same as the warwicks I've seen iirc

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1435687377' post='2811495']

Looking at that picture of the control cavity, that volume pot looks odd - not the same as the warwicks I've seen iirc
[/quote]

Yeah, I googled imaged-ed MEC preamps in warwicks, and they all have the little 'MEC' embossed in enamel on the circuit boards and pots. None of which is present here.

It sounds good though - but there are some seriously unusable settings to it.

I cannot find afterarket prices on a MEC 2-band either... any ideas anyone?

I have a pre-amp harness in a Fender Jazz Deluxe bass that I might feel inclined to change. I'm not sure yet, but if I do the Fender Pre-amp could be available.

What it has is

Vol,
Blend,
Stacked Treble/Bass,
Mids

So there are 4 knobs; 1 more than you have. IF we can come to an agreement, and if it's the right thing for you, I could sell you this. I'm in no rush though. Let's see if anyone else comes up with any more info.

There's no passive mode, but maybe you can fit a by-pass switch after the blend and by-passing the tone pots/pre-amp, linking the blend straight to the jack.

What does the seller have to say on the subject?

Edited by Grangur

Thanks Grangur!

Let's see how it pans out - I will have to do a lot of research before selecting a pre.

The seller seems very angry. Says it is 'a used bass' kinda like, 'what do you expect', 'geez'.
He says if I want a new bass, I should buy a new bass.

it's gonna get interesting... :angry: :gas: :ph34r:

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1435701871' post='2811726']
My money is on an emg preamp there btw
[/quote]

Thanks Luke - they look like EMG knobs don't they? But it is a very weird thing - a parametric mid-boost circuit?

Anyway, cut a long story short, the guy has given me a notably humble sum compensation. This is despite sending the wrong strap locks and a broken electronics cover for the back. Sigh.

Good news: the bass roars and the neck is dead straight. Just-a-nut 1 is in good condition. Truss rod works like a dream.

It's gonna be a bit of a mongrel - i'll start a new thread on suggested preamps! :happy:

[quote name='goonieman' timestamp='1435731634' post='2811818']
Thanks Grangur.

I've PM'd on the parts, but the preamp is passive, and i'm really after the option of passive/active push/pull.

Nice looking body though on that corvette!
[/quote]
Yes, I went and saw that after posting; shame really.

http://www.emgpickups.com/accessories/bass-accessories/tone-controls/vmc.html there you go - think that's what you've got. It's not really that weird - unless you need lots of bass boost all the time it probably makes as much sense as a two band eq on a bass.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1435733085' post='2811826']
[url="http://www.emgpickups.com/accessories/bass-accessories/tone-controls/vmc.html"]http://www.emgpickup...ntrols/vmc.html[/url] there you go - think that's what you've got. It's not really that weird - unless you need lots of bass boost all the time it probably makes as much sense as a two band eq on a bass.
[/quote]

East Pre-amps have a VMC as well. So they're not unknown. I guess it's a case of experimentation to learn how to use it.

• 2 months later...