Why become a member? ×

Budget IEM systems

bonzodog

My band is considering getting IEMs for various reasons. The powered monitors we use don't seem to be powerful enough, there is often a lack of space for gear and our other singer has a much quieter voice than me. He is often shouting so much to hear himself rather than singing his voice does not last the night.

We are only using a vocal PA so all that will be coming through the IEMs will be our two voices. There appears to be a lot of home branded systems on Thomann (tbone) and gear4music at very cheap prices but not sure if they are good enough. The high end gear seems to boast better sound quality but as we only need them for vocals and are not fussed about a clear sound (we just want to hear ourselves), then are the budget ones suitable for our needs.
We don't jump around the stage so we could even go with wired systems but I suppose wireless would be better

Would be keen to hear what systems people use at the cheaper end. We may find they IEMs are not for us so don't want to spend a fortune. Any links to ones that fit the bill would be great

Thanks

I used to use an LD Systems MEI 100 basic system. Without decent phones, useless for bass, but would probably be OK for vocals alone. One downside: cheap systems don't have limiters, so hearing damage is possible if you get the levels wrong. If the money is available, go for Shure as a minimum. The Thomanm and G4M systems are probably very similar to the LD models.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1435680787' post='2811392']
My band is considering getting IEMs for various reasons...
[/quote]

How about doing a trial with ordinary in-ear buds fed from any monitor amp, to see if the concept is workable..? 'Twould cost peanuts and give you both a reference point from which to work. Do you need separate feeds, or share the same mix..?
Another option could be smaller, mic-stand mounted monitors, to bring your foldback closer. It works for some.

I have the absolute bottom end of the range Thomann T Bone model, coupled with Shure SM215 earphones, and although not exactly hi-fi it is plenty good enough for my needs. Then again my ears are knackered... :)

I usually wear molded earplugs which protect my ears but make everything sound a bit woolly, so to actually hear a relatively clear sound and at decent level has been something of a revelation.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1435680787' post='2811392']
...We are only using a vocal PA so all that will be coming through the IEMs will be our two voices..
[/quote]Don't forget that the mics will still pick up some of the backline and drums which will be fed to your in ears too. The singer in my previous band had awful problems with that but you probably won't be as badly affected. He was a bit unusual in that even though his vocal was massive on stage via the PA he couldn't hear himself and reckoned when he got in ears he still felt drowned by what the mics picked up. And yet most other in-ears users manage just fine.

Every band is different and some are louder or quieter on stage than others so your experience will vary, I just wanted to give you a little more expectation.

[size=4][b][i][sub][sup][size=5]We use the T-Bone wireless system from Thomann and have had no problems [/size][/sup][/sub][/i][/b][/size]
[size=4][b][i][sub][sup][size=5] using it for vocals only.[/size][/sup][/sub][/i][/b][/size]

If you want to be super cheap, and don't care about being wireless, get one of these:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_ma_400.htm

Combine it with a pair of these (cheap Chinese earphones that get top audiophile reviews):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00S5P7S16

And one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FPUK-metre-3-5mm-Headphone-EXTENSION/dp/B001D2WHEQ

Robert's your mother's brother. Bish bash bosh. Job done.

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1435934385' post='2813797']

Combine it with a pair of these (cheap Chinese earphones that get top audiophile reviews):

[/quote]

"Mrice E300 Minimalist industrial design in recent years has become the mainstream property, Mrice Capsule headphones is the essence of the design ideas - "simple, not monotonous," the interpretation of the unimaginable proportions, I believe the time Capsule headphones at first sight will be attracted by its unique qualities, smooth, smooth and graceful lines (A fine line)

Simple oval cell shape, with a 9mm high performance CCAW voice coil drive unit. Closed-ear, let the music directly into the eardrum, sound full and natural.

Very flexible with deep and powerful bass IF reached a good listening experience. Unique sound field design, musical instruments structured to win the sense of hearing"

Excellent!

A question on this - can ear buds with only the vocals really work, or would they block out or muddy up too much of the rest of the sound to be able to sing in tune?

With regard to cheaper IEM systems not having any form of limiter, what about putting everything through a compressor (which someone in the band might already have) to limit the transients? I practice both guitar and bass almost exclusively through headphones using Amplitube, and have found it much more comfortable to put a bit of light compression in just to limit the spikes.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1435941841' post='2813885']
Very flexible with deep and powerful bass IF reached a good listening experience. Unique sound field design, musical instruments structured to win the sense of hearing"

Excellent!
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's some slightly better english... http://www.wired.com/2015/06/mrice-e300/

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1435934385' post='2813797']

[/quote]

Very timely. I'm about to buy some new earbuds. Hadn't come across these before, but I'll give 'em a go.

Cheers :)

I just got some of the TBone 75, Quality is ok, sound is good but loads of hiss, but works fine for what I want, which is mainly vocals, I can feel the bass. But I might put the bass through it with a bit of high pass filter. Funnily enough, with the supplied headphones you don't hear much of the hiss, but with Sure headphones, you do.