Why become a member? ×

MARKBASS... LITTLE MARK III 500? TRAVELER 102P? STANDARD 104HR?

Greg.Bassman

Hi all. I've come to pick your brains once more (if I may...)

(As I'm sure many of you can relate) Lugging my gear around often is fast becoming a pain (literally! lol). I'm currently using the Ashdown ABM EVO III 500 Head though the ABM 410 (great sound... weighs a tonne!).

A friend suggested that I take a look into 'Markbass'. He explained that their gear is both light but still delivers a strong low end with much clarity.

Admittedly, I've had my reservations about 'Light weight' gear; up until now, I've always operated under the assumption that 'weight=power'. Friends have assured me that this IS NOT the case (providing that you invest in the appropriate brand).

I currently have my eye on the...

*Little Mark III 500 Head
(through)
*Traveler 102P cab OR Standard 104HR cab

Questions:

1)One thing that I've come to love about my Ashdown, is its ridiculous low end. How does the Little Mark compare? Will I be pleased with it?

2)For festival gigs, I have front of house support, so really it's purpose will be just for self monitoring. But how about as a 'stand alone' for pub/club gigs?

3)I play a range of styles. Are these amps versatile enough to get me though most given situations?

4)I play in a couple of 7/8 piece bands (with loud drummers lol). Will this cut through on stage?

Both LIGHTWEIGHT and PUNCHY? surely it's too good to be true. Are there any Markbass users out there that can make a believer out've me?

All feedback greatly appreciated!

Edited by Greg.Bassman

Well the MK3 will be fine, though going to a Traveller 2x10 size cab from a 4x10 will be noticeable.
Try looking at the larger MarkBass 2x10 cabinet, one of each is a powerhouse and will cover all gigs.

LMIII is a great amp, combined with the 410 it`s plenty enough. I used mine (but the Tube version) in an 8-piece band and it never struggled at all - volume never pushed hard once. Most of the time used as a standalone rig as well.

I don`t use Markbass now as I need drive/gain, and different frequencies than what Markbass have, but if it wasn`t for that I`d still use Markbass, and at some point Ill probably go back to them.

Hi there Greg,
If you go LM3 plus a 4 ohm Markbass STD104HF you won't lack power at all. I don't have any experience of the new class d LM3 driving this cab but my class ab one has plenty of clout. It could be too much for small venues however so two STD102HF would give you more flexibility.

I use a 104HR as my rehearsal cab and can't think of a time I've ever been unhappy with it. It gets used with a variety of heads (including a LM3) and all of them sound great through it. It actually replaced an Ashdown ABM 410t, and I used to have the ABM500 to match, so I know where you're coming from and there's no way I'd swap back! You'd probably find the low end a little more 'controlled' than you're used to with the ABM, but it's no less present.

as a markbass/barefaced user myself I have to echo that the combination is very good indeed, a 2x12 barefaced with a markbass head is a great match and I doubt you'll ever fail to cut through (I've drowned out the whole band with a single midget and witnessed a single midget standing up against a pair of marshall half stacks and a drummer with no issues at all)

I would have quoted Alex but this browser doesn't let me or some reason!

Matt

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1435741850' post='2811915']
If you're near us you're welcome to borrow a demo cab for some gigs - they get on very well with Markbass heads!
[/quote]

Yep, I think Markbass amps paired with Barefaced cabs sound better than paired with Markbass cabs.

I'm finding Markbass very versatile for my needs; I use a very awesome Markbass NY604 (4x6") with a seven piece soul funk swing band and defying all logic it cuts through great using my Markbass LMT 800 head and a Precision bass. I also play with a loud 8 piece ska jazz reggae using 2 x NY15" cabs, again both light, more bottom end than Beyoncé and they look fab too...often 1x15" is more than enough but if it's a good festival then the two will go out. I struggled to find a good sound I was happy with when I had an LM2 but the LMT800 is more than fine to my ears....highly recommend 😎

You're on the right lines looking at Markbass amps - I have an LM Tube and love it! I'd suggest you look elsewhere for cabs though. I first started shopping a couple of months back and tried a few Markbass cabs, including 2 x traveler 121H, the 102P and 104HR. They sounded good, but they REALLY rolled of the highs. The 104HR is a weird shape too, it's so deep it's almost like a cube so it's pretty difficult to move (not heavy, just awkwardly-shaped).

If you're looking at light gear, I'd suggest Barefaced and Bergantino gear - both really light. I personally don't like the sound of barefaced cabs, and you obviously need to try gear before buying, but a lot of other people on here do. When I've got the funds I'm going to buy a Bergantino CN212. It sounded incredible, with my LM Tube on clean and dirty settings.

Ive got a Markbass Little Mark III into a Aguilar GS410 and it absolutely kicks ass.

The Aguilar isn't even remotely lightweight, but as an indication of how a LM3 sounds into a good 4x10, I'd swear by it.

Fwiw for smaller gigs I used the same head into a Schroeder 1210 and it's still bloody loud!

Markbass are great. Not everyone's taste perhaps, but for people like me who have to lug their own gear round and contend with rubbish parking at many venues, my Markbass head is an invaluable bit of ultra-transportable kit.

Edited by bassbiscuits

I echo one of the othe comments above, I also came to Markbass from Ashdown - I loved the Ashdown sound but never found any of them loud enough.

Markbass has a tighter punchier low end, rather than the gargantuan sea of bass of Ashdown. Personally I find the Markbass sound suits me more and seems more efficient - and they also in my opinion seem far higher volume for the same apparent wattage rating.

In short, they're cool. I've still got one Ashdown head but I don't think I've used it once to gig since I got the Markbass stuff about four years ago.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1435861235' post='2813193']
The other thing to consider is what bass is being used - in my experience the matching of a Precision to Markbass is just awesome, really work well together.
[/quote]

^^^^^
This definitely!

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1435872381' post='2813310']
A lot of guys that I've spoke to about markbass gear all use active basses, does it matter that I only use PASSIVE basses? I'm currently playing a fender jazz.
[/quote]

Nope I've got two passive precisions and a passive Sandberg and they all sound very happy indeed thru my set up.

If I had to choose I'd say the precisions sound slightly better with it, as they're fat, smooth and with a bit of grit, which nicely balanced the very clean clear Markbass sound.

Just realised you've already said you've got a jazz - that'll sound great no problem at all.

Edited by bassbiscuits

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1435871967' post='2813305']
Hey Ed. That's amazing mate, very assuring- especially coming from an ex ashdown player. Appreciate it mate!
[/quote]

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1435872381' post='2813310']
A lot of guys that I've spoke to about markbass gear all use active basses, does it matter that I only use PASSIVE basses? I'm currently playing a fender jazz.
[/quote]

No worries at all mate!

As well as Markbass heads, two of the other amps I use with my 104HR are a MiBass 550 and an ABM 1000, so I'm still an Ashdown player when the mood takes me :-)

I mainly use passive Fenders, too (currently tending to pick up my Aerodyne Jazz for gigs, so passive P/J configuration) and it all sounds good to me.