Why become a member? ×

The Jam - About the new idea

TheGreek

I was on the London Underground earlier today and saw a poster for the above event. Initially I thought it was a reunion but it seems to be something else.

https://www.somersethouse.org.uk/visual-arts/the-jam-about-the-young-idea

I know there are a few Jam fans here so I thought I might post this.

[quote name='sharkboy' timestamp='1435691906' post='2811572']
Unfortunately, I think it'll be a cold day in hell before Rick Buckler could even stand in the same room as Paul Weller without inflicting violence on him!
[/quote]Unless he is offered a substantial sum

Closer scrutiny reveals this to be an exhibition about The Jam. The event will apparently be coupled with a Greatest Hits album to go with the other 42,323 Jam 'Best Of's ' that have appeared since the band folded nearly 80 years ago.

On this occasion the 'unreleased material' will be a solo Weller instrumental of the theme from The Likely Lads.

[quote name='sharkboy' timestamp='1435698453' post='2811679']
Nope, I don't even think the prospect of filthy lucre would ever get Weller and Buckler on stage again. In fact, Weller has gone on record to say that even if he was destitute and his kids were on the street he'd not reform the band!
[/quote]A lot of bands fall out, and will never speak to each other ever again. Then they do, and they reform. I think it is unlikely that they will, but i can only hope, and hope i get a ticket

To be fair to Weller he has stated consistently that bands reforming is a bad idea and told Noel Gallagher the same thing.
He has also said he has nothing against Rick or Bruce and wishes them all the best and also would not reform the style council either.

I'm not really a Weller fan (passing interest) or of The Jam, but I applaud his stance of not reforming his past.

Rightly or wrongly, he's determined to not stand still. He does his own thing, regardless. Takes risks, sounds totally different from how he did 30 years ago.

Isn't that something to be relished in this age of playing it safe? I certainly think so.

Haha, that BC crap as you call it is what keeps BC going :-).
Without all that all we would have is a boring old gear forum.

I love listening to Weller, especially every other week on Eastenders when he is playing on the "radio". Gotta give the man credit for his integrity lol.

[quote name='doctorbass' timestamp='1435948200' post='2813966']
The exhibition is about The Jam and for Jam fans. No one said they were thinking of re-forming. Some people really need to get over theirselves
[/quote]No one ever said they were reforming, just the OP misread the advert thinking they were getting back together, then realising they weren`t.

[quote name='blamelouis' timestamp='1435731679' post='2811819']
To be fair to Weller he has stated consistently that bands reforming is a bad idea and told Noel Gallagher the same thing.
He has also said he has nothing against Rick or Bruce and wishes them all the best and also would not reform the style council either.
[/quote]

I think it's actually Rick Buckler who has a beef with Paul Weller. Buckler played in "From The Jam" with Bruce Foxton for a time, but seemed to leave around the time that Bruce made his "Back In Room" album, which featured Paul Weller playing on a couple of the tracks(Coincidentally, it's a pretty decent record. Very Jam like, which is more than fine when it's written by one of the members of The Jam in the first place!).
Also, I think Bruce played on a couple of tracks on one of Weller's album a few years ago too(Could be wrong mind.).

Foxton played on a couple of tracks on the Wake Up The Nation album - Fast Car/Slow Traffic is very Foxton/Jam.

Went to see the Return of the Rude Boy exhibition at the same venue (Somerset House) last year and it's a really interesting place to visit.. so really looking forward to seeing About the Young Idea.

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1436036713' post='2814543']
Foxton played on a couple of tracks on the Wake Up The Nation album - Fast Car/Slow Traffic is very Foxton/Jam.

Went to see the Return of the Rude Boy exhibition at the same venue (Somerset House) last year and it's a really interesting place to visit.. so really looking forward to seeing About the Young Idea.
[/quote]

A bit belated, but Thanks for corroborating that for me.

[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1436024579' post='2814435']

I think it's actually Rick Buckler who has a beef with Paul Weller. Buckler played in "From The Jam" with Bruce Foxton for a time, but seemed to leave around the time that Bruce made his "Back In Room" album, which featured Paul Weller playing on a couple of the tracks(Coincidentally, it's a pretty decent record. Very Jam like, which is more than fine when it's written by one of the members of The Jam in the first place!).
Also, I think Bruce played on a couple of tracks on one of Weller's album a few years ago too(Could be wrong mind.).
[/quote]

From reading a few Jam biography books the Buckler axe grinding dates back to The Gift album when Weller had a serious go at him for not being able to play the new material the way he wanted.
The seeds were sown .