Why become a member? ×

So this acoustic bass .........

Dazed

What strings have you all tried and liked?

I have a run of the mill fretted 4 string, it had old rounds on it, and then bronze EB acoustics but they're all too noisy and scratchy sounding. I'm thinking of using some tapewounds because they must be quieter.

Nylon coated strings are the way forward for me, not tried them with a fretted acoustic but with a fretless they are lovely. Defretting my cheap acoustic and putting black nylon strings on completely transformed the bass from borderline usable to an absolute pleasure to play.

On mine I've stuck with the bronze, as I reckon that in the absence of any real bottom end the brightness helps it to be heard. I tried an old set of tapewounds I had lying around, and they were mellow but seemed very quiet compared with the bronze. They'd be nice plugged in though.
I wonder if coated bronze wounds like the Elixir acoustic set might cut down on the raspy, scratchy quality a little?

Well the ole tapewounds are on and they are an improvement in feel and terms of noise. Obvious loss of acoustic volume but that isn't a problem.
Still im not sure it's the sound I'm after. Or could be the bad technique :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1435847535' post='2812998']
.. or could be just give them a little while. Both black nylons and flats tend to settle in and sound better (IMO) after a few weeks.
[/quote]

They're about 6 years old and have been on my Wal all their life. Still ill wait and see :lol: