Why become a member? ×

July Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1435853710' post='2813097']
To paraphrase Sally Webster in Coronation Street (she was talking to Kevin): I don't know what I've been doing all day but I've come home stupid...

Somehow I've managed to do crooning vocals on top of a big beat backing complete with an Indian chant.
This one's definitely going to need rolling in glitter, plus 3 coats of varnish and a hand-carved presentation box!
[/quote]
Lol....:D
Whatever works. Your entry is getting one of my votes for that post alone. Fookin pi$$ed myself.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1435870387' post='2813286']

Lol....:D
Whatever works. Your entry is getting one of my votes for that post alone. Fookin pi$$ed myself.
[/quote]

Why thank you! You may change your mind after having a listen!
However, I've been fiddling with it (the "song", that is!) over breakfast and it's growing on me.
But it could be similar to how over-exposure to violence on TV desensitises you...

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1435908052' post='2813418']

However, I've been fiddling with it (the "song", that is!) over breakfast and it's growing on me.
But it could be similar to how over-exposure to violence on TV desensitises you...
[/quote]
It grew (on you) when you fiddled with it? Come on. What age are we? Why do I find these things funny.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1435931018' post='2813757']
It grew (on you) when you fiddled with it? Come on. What age are we? Why do I find these things funny.
[/quote]

I'm more concerned that there's a fiddle playing along with the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]crooning vocals on top of a big beat backing complete with an Indian chant, and with a tune, to boot..! It sounds like a winning combination to me, and likely to raffle all the votes. I may have to change my contribution to a skirl of bagpipes after all... :unsure:[/font][/color]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1435932655' post='2813782'][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I may have to change my contribution to a skirl of bagpipes after all... :unsure:[/font][/color][/quote]

[b][size="7"]NO! [/size][/b]Heed the unspoken rule that should [i]never[/i] needeth speaketh[b]: NO FRIGGIN' BAGPIPES! [/b] :crazy:

On pain of deaf.

Here is my contribution: [b]Go With the Flow[/b]

[url="https://app.box.com/s/u6kd1tfbgbwam61k28vxlf1ydu0inkbm"]https://app.box.com/...8vxlf1ydu0inkbm[/url]

Edit: This one is tooooooo long
You find the short version 9 messages below...
Which I personally think is a pitty for it does take some time for this undoubtedly multi-talented sport-lady to float all the way up (of which I'm pretty convinced she's going) and for me to describe what she's going through along the way.

Edited by Wiro

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1435943797' post='2813907']
Very nice though there may be complaints about the length ;)
Talking of which, in an effort to reduce the level of fiddling I've slipped in some horn.
[/quote]

Serves you right; you shouldn't leave stuff lying around. Get well soon. :mellow:

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1435908052' post='2813418']

[/quote]

:D desensitise is a great word , I think that accurately reflects the way my entries enjoy their cult status in my own mind :)

[quote name='Wiro' timestamp='1435940451' post='2813867']
Here is my contribution: [b]Go With the Flow[/b]

[url="https://app.box.com/s/cyyq624bdfcxd50w9hi1261mb3t05ehu"]https://app.box.com/...hi1261mb3t05ehu[/url]
[/quote]

It's stiflingly warm over here; I feel as though I am melting (would that I were; I could do with losing more than a few kilos..! :blush: ). This comes in exactly the right summery vein, giving a Latino-Hispano-Brazilian touch. Complaints..? Not as such, but a bit of paring down wouldn't harm the intrinsic quality of the piece. Be warned: if length becomes no object, I'm quite capable of (and rather keen to..!) putting out 20 minutes or more, given suitable inspiration..! I already struggle to contain my stuff into 5 minutes as it is, but then again, concision was never my strongest suite. Suite yourself (and welcome to the Challenge... :) ).

:lol: Lucky it didn't read '2 hours', then..! :rolleyes:

Maybe one day we'll have a full-out, no holds barred, Symphony Challenge, or full Film Score. I wonder just how many members would sit down and listen to a dozen of those before voting..? Hmm... :ph34r:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1435966060' post='2814121']
Maybe one day we'll have a full-out, no holds barred, Symphony Challenge, or full Film Score. I wonder just how many members would sit down and listen to a dozen of those before voting..? Hmm... :ph34r:
[/quote]

I'd be up for that!

Ok, at your service, managed to bring the extended version back to 5.16 min.:

[b]Go With the Flow (short):[/b]

[url="https://app.box.com/s/45ip2j5gpv4q1llh0wrrbu7vhvngho6y"]https://app.box.com/...wrrbu7vhvngho6y[/url]

Edited by Wiro

OK I'm in , I have to say a great picture , I had all sorts of lyrical ideas to go with it ,but lyrics take ages for me to record , so I plumped for a simple synth number to run with, the playing isn't up to much as it was a touch improvised .

anyway I hope you enjoy

https://soundcloud.com/lurksalot/the-long-way-down

Too much time on my hands..? Maybe. meanwhile, here's another whilst we're waiting for closure ...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/grace-falling-from-grace"]Grace Falling From Grace ...[/url]

I've a bit of gardening to do in the next day or two, and some lime rendering to get started on for our new bathroom. Depending, then, on spare time left, I'll perhaps pop in another couple of gems. Now then, what next play on words can I use as leverage for inspiration..? Things haven't gone swimmingly..? No... Backstroke over Bracknell..? Almost... Rolling and tumbling..? Been done, I believe... Never mind, I'll come up with summit whilst picking raspberries, I'm sure. Watch this space...

Edited by Dad3353

[size=4]Crikey, you guys are quick off the mark! :)[/size]

[size=4][b]A quick note about multiple entries...[/b][/size]

[size=4][/size]

[size=4]...if you're going to write more than one track - [i]and why the heck not? If you have time, go for it![/i] - then [b]please let me know which track you'd like entered into the voting at the end of the month.[/b][/size]

[size=4]So what I'm saying is: I think we should limit the finished entries to one per person, just to keep things nice and simple. Just like me :blink: [/size]

[size=4]Hope that's ok with everyone.[/size]

[size=4]Oh and yes, please keep your tracks to 5 minutes or less (give or take some leeway).[/size]

[size=4]Cheers![/size]

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1436181808' post='2815610']
Crikey, you guys are quick off the mark! :)

[b]A quick note about multiple entries...[/b]

...if you're going to write more than one track - [i]and why the heck not? If you have time, go for it![/i] - then [b]please let me know which track you'd like entered into the voting at the end of the month.[/b]

So what I'm saying is: I think we should limit the finished entries to one per person, just to keep things nice and simple. Just like me :blink:

[color=#800080]Agreed; I usually 'sub-title' any 'extra' stuff as 'throwaway'. It gives me, at least, some sense of proportion.[/color]

Hope that's ok with everyone.

Oh and yes, please keep your tracks to 5 minutes or less (give or take some leeway).

[color=#800080]I have more trouble with keeping to this rule, normally. My 'themes' seem to spread out like an overturned pot of paint. Good for discipline (not my strong point in the first place...), but one heck of a constraint.[/color]
[color=#800080]But I digress. Back to the raspberries...[/color]

Cheers!
[/quote]

^ [font=Helvetica]Yeah… it is constraining having a time limit on entries, but I think it’s a necessary evil.[/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]On another forum, I used to know a chap who’s approach to composition involved switching on his keyboard, selecting a Bontempi-esque drum pattern and then noodling away aimlessly for anything up to an hour. No really… hour long pieces were common in his repertoire.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Nothing wrong with that, of course. To each their own. But inflicting such creations on others is tantamount to sadism. Had he invoked bagpipes, it most certainly would have been a breach of the Geneva Convention.[/size][/size][/font]

[size=4][font="Helvetica"]...not that I'd expect any of us to [/font][s]spew out[/s][font="Helvetica"] create any such lengthy opuses. But I don't want to invite temptation ;)[/font][/size]

SHMBO beat me to the raspberries, so I only had to help put 'em in a freezer bag and pack 'em away. That left me a bit of time spare. I don't like wasting time, and there's only so much Tour de France one can bear, so I came up with this ...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/suspended-belief"]Suspended Belief ...[/url]

Ah..! I'll have to leave you now; there's been a major collision amongst the riders, so ...

All these people "throwing away" decent pieces and I've got naff all :scratch_one-s_head:

Unlike the first two, where the ideas came quick and (obviously allowing for lack of playing ability) came out almost as hoped....there be nowt at the moment......

Although I do have a working (mmm!) title......."Matching sky andherbriefs "....