Why become a member? ×

July Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1436343750' post='2817195']
All good now. Like it, I'm listening whilst enjoying my first very lovely coffee of the day.

Enjoying the smoothness of both the coffee and your tune.
[/quote]
[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1436353697' post='2817333']
Cheers!
Not often one of my choonz gets called smooth!
[/quote]

For some reason this brought to mind the classic Gareth Hunt "blend and roast" hand gesture :-P

[media]http://youtu.be/zYLjF52q_Qs[/media]

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1436345808' post='2817227']
I can't get started. I have nothing yet although something came to mind whilst I was walking the dogs this morning but I need to see where it goes. I hate the fact that I cannot get my tunes PLAYED. It is not the writing that I find difficult, it is the recording of parts that I cannot play myself. YOu know what I mean? 'Oh, a monster Cuban piano part would be great in here - oh, I can't play that so I will put on some s*** guitar instead'. :unsure:
[/quote]

There are very few parts in my own stuff that I have actually played myself. If that was a criteria, I would be far less prolific, and garner even fewer votes than of late..! I have many sources for getting played something in a style, or on an instrument, for which I have no ability. BIAB has great possibilities; I often feed it a set of chords and rip a solo part that it has come up with. There are several loop sources for more modern sounds, and some very powerful software solutions, such as EZ_Keys, although that route can become expensive quite quickly. A more extreme suggestion still would be collaboration with a third party, a fellow BCer, maybe..? It's been done before.
Hope this helps (although if it's winning you're after, I'm not convinced that 'a monster Cuban piano part' is the best bet, anyway..! :P )

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1436355176' post='2817362']
T
Hope this helps
[/quote]

I'm afraid it doesn't, as now I might have to spend money!
I had no idea things like this existed - I'd been laboriously building midi parts or splicing loops in new and strange ways when I could have had Herbie Hancock to play it at the push of a button!

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1436357149' post='2817406']
I'm afraid it doesn't, as now I might have to spend money!
I had no idea things like this existed - I'd been laboriously building midi parts or splicing loops in new and strange ways when I could have had Herbie Hancock to play it at the push of a button!
[/quote]

... and I do that , too..! Finding loops of Herbie Hancock to splice is even better, though. :P

That's cos he's round my house.
This time he's brought Omar Hakim, James Carter and David Fiuczynski along with a case of Woodford Reserve and 2 cases of Newton's Unfiltered Merlot...
Which reminds me, must get Rentokil round.
I've been infested with [i]musicians[/i]!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1436271167' post='2816565']
Mission accomplished, Cap'n...
[/quote]
[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1436279612' post='2816676']
Aye, aw good for me...
[/quote]
[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1436339913' post='2817133']
You noisy git, you. :D
[/quote]
[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1436353918' post='2817338']
Balls to the wall no messin' about...
[/quote]

Ooh, feedback! I thank you... I'm going to wait until all the entries are in, then have a proper listening marathon - but from what I've heard so far, the standard is very high - again! Should be a very interesting month. Mind you, what is 'scantily-clad-woman-falling-into-city' music..? But that's what I like about this month's picture - plenty of room for manoeuvre, style-wise. Too often I don't enter because the picture choice doesn't really do a lot for me. Or more likely, because I'm too bone-headed to appreciate it... :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1436435278' post='2818061']...Mind you, what is 'scantily-clad-woman-falling-into-city' music..?...
[/quote]

An offered explanation can be found [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/265169-july-composition-challenge-get-writing/page__view__findpost__p__2816592"]here... [/url] ;)

I've just finished repairing our Ebow, and thought I'd test it (and use it for the first time, it must be admitted...). Here's the result; 2 bass tracks, 2 bass Ebow tracks and 2 guitar Ebow tracks...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/floaty-floaty"]Floaty Floaty ...[/url]

I knocked something out last night. Not particularly exciting but it will have to do (wasn't really inspired by the image this time). I am not going to get to this again before the closing date. WIll post it when I can get to a computer with a USB port!!

Another 'throwaway' one...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/like-swimming-on-air"]Like Swimming On Air ...[/url]

Is it my PC or browser that causes web playback to be slower than the original..? It's very frustrating. I've tried Google Drive and Dropbox; they both slow down the WAV playback, too. Am I alone with this phenomenon..?

Edited by Dad3353

Found this a real struggle this month
.....great photo but couldn't get the sound and ideas in me 'ead into the piece :scratch_one-s_head:

Despite that, still enjoying the learning curve.............sometimes !!

Also can't get windows 8 to open my saved photo image......any ideas ?

Nige

Edited by fingers211