Why become a member? ×

short scale bass question.

MacDaddy

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1435777121' post='2812390']
Will using lighter strings on a short scale bass give more bottom end, due to the increased tension?

Ta.
[/quote]
Lighter gauge strings (all other construction factors being unchanged) will likely have decreased tension at the same pitch.

+1 to the above replies.

Increasing string gauge will increase tension when tuned to the same pitch (while keeping the string construction and scale length the same).

Short scale instruments generally work better with standard strings (which feel looser than on long or super long scales) or heavier gauge strings (should feel close to regular gauge on a long scale).
I wouldn't try very light gauges (e.g. 35 - 85) on 32" or shorter - you may prefer the feel however.

As for sound it will all depend on the string construction, setup etc. As I understand it longer scales tend to sound more "focused", and by trying different strings on 34" scales and shorter I would say that lighter strings sound a bit bigger and deeper - but that could be the way I'm playing reacting to the change in string tension and stiffness.

From experimenting with my Gibson SG bass - D'Addario Chromes with 105 E: good string tension, plenty of bottom end, not very focussed. Pyramid Golds: good (lower) string tension, great for Jack Bruce, Andy Fraser sound, short 'burpy' notes, very focussed. As above bigger gauges = more tension (Physics at work). Also as mentioned previously - on my long scale basses the chromes have greater focus.

We have a great tool on our website for working out string tensions at various gauges, scale lengths and tunings [url="http://www.stringtensionpro.com"]www.stringtensionpro.com[/url]. This tool can be very useful in comparing the tension and "feel" of different sets on different instrument setups.

[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1435910237' post='2813439']
We have a great tool on our website for working out string tensions at various gauges, scale lengths and tunings [url="http://www.stringtensionpro.com"]www.stringtensionpro.com[/url]. This tool can be very useful in comparing the tension and "feel" of different sets on different instrument setups.
[/quote]
Hi, I tried using that, but got stumped with the gauge/tension options.

My bass is 32inch but with an extra 2 frets on the E string for drop D tuning.

[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1435928431' post='2813709']
It's a bit simpler to use if you opt to base your calculations on an existing set of D'Addario strings.

When you say the bass has an extra two frets for drop tuning do you mean to say that the E string is a different scale length to the rest of the bass?
[/quote]
Hi the E is the same, open D is different. Like the Kubicki ex- Factors.

I'll give it another go.