Why become a member? ×

Does someone need to be "qualified" to criticise?

leschirons

On the flipside, if you have to be 'qualified' to criticise something, you must surely have to be equally 'qualified' to appreciate it. No one evers claims that people shouldn't be dancing to the funky music because they aren't musicians.

This 'qualified to criticise' argument depends on the activity. We could all watch scientists at Cern operate the Large Hadron Collider and I doubt any of us could tell if it was being used properly. For abstract technical activities you do need to be qualified to make valid criticisms.

However for activities like music and cheese-tasting we all have a deep experience and knowledge. Even the biggest music philistine can tell if one player is out of tune. Naive listeners can still hear difference between major and minor (there's a load of YouTube videos that take popular songs and flip their modality). Non-musicians can all hit the pitch of a hit song's opening line. So the OP's guitarist is wrong and needs to take his medicine.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1436039720' post='2814566']
There's someone on here who I'm ignoring at the moment, he used an error of mine as the basis for a smart and sarcastic post. He obviously thought himself too clever to apologise.
[/quote]

If that [i]wasn't [/i]me I sympathise with you. If it [i]was [/i]me, you won't be able to see this post! :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1436096403' post='2814862']
If that [i]wasn't [/i]me I sympathise with you. If it [i]was [/i]me, you won't be able to see this post! :D
[/quote]

It wasn't you :) I find your posts genuinely funny, this guy only [b][i]thinks[/i][/b] he's funny.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1436039720' post='2814566']
Everyone has on opinion, and is entitled to share it.

There's someone on here who I'm ignoring at the moment, he used an error of mine as the basis for a smart and sarcastic post. He obviously thought himself too clever to apologise.

:)
[/quote]

Wasnt me was it ?

If you dont reply then I'll take that as a yes and guess your ignoriing me for something I dont remember.

Opinions are like arseholes, we all got one, but its usually safer to keep it out of sight.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1436130258' post='2815274']
Wasnt me was it ?

If you dont reply then I'll take that as a yes and guess your ignoriing me for something I dont remember.

Opinions are like arseholes, we all got one, but its usually safer to keep it out of sight.
[/quote]

No :)

You're obviously qualified to, if you can hear it. But. As a non musician, you don't really have any right to offer criticism unless it is asked for. In my opinion, because, as a non musician, it probably wouldn't be constructure criticism as you can't offer any helpful advice.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1436132742' post='2815306']
You're obviously qualified to, if you can hear it. But. As a non musician, you don't really have any right to offer criticism unless it is asked for. In my opinion, because, as a non musician, it probably wouldn't be constructure criticism as you can't offer any helpful advice.
[/quote]

Constructive criticism doesn't need to offer advice on how to improve, it just needs to highlight areas for improvement.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1436133397' post='2815309']

Constructive criticism doesn't need to offer advice on how to improve, it just needs to highlight areas for improvement.
[/quote]

How can it be constructive if someone can't offer help or advice for improvement?

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1436134109' post='2815316']
How can it be constructive if someone can't offer help or advice for improvement?
[/quote]

Because they'll have highlighted the issue. Constructive criticism doesn't mean hand-holding and leading somebody to improvement, it means highlighting areas of improvement. People often also give pointers on how to improve, but I don't think that's necessarily a part of constructive criticism, although it can be.

When your employer comes in and looks at your work and highlights the areas that need to improve, that's providing you with feedback on your performance which you are then able to work to improve. Your employer doesn't necessarily need to lead you to that improvement.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1436132742' post='2815306']
You're obviously qualified to, if you can hear it.
[/quote]

Ain't that the truth. The Bible does not state:
"In the beginning God created the Big Bang and He saw it just wasn't good enough, so then He also created music theory".

It's musical ears that created music theory - - as a reflection of our shared musical experiences. The qualification is in the ears.

The old joke of "just call it Jazz" does reflect that one can often not be entirely sure, but as I said above, the vast body of music listeners is well qualified to hear the bum notes in improvs in regular settings.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1436039720' post='2814566']...
There's someone on here who I'm ignoring at the moment...
[/quote]

We had an interesting exchange just before Christmas; I'd hope to not have caused offence in my (often tactless...) remarks. It's not that I don't [i]like [/i]your music, rather that, with my aged ears, I just can't [i]hear [/i]it..! :blush: Still, if you're unable to see this, we're both handicapped, eh..? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1436182015' post='2815613']
We had an interesting exchange just before Christmas; I'd hope to not have caused offence in my (often tactless...) remarks. It's not that I don't [i]like [/i]your music, rather that, with my aged ears, I just can't [i]hear [/i]it..! :blush: Still, if you're unable to see this, we're both handicapped, eh..? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

No, I like your posts, again they're often very funny and cause me to smile :)

Well, I for one am relieved it isn't me.
I really am that funny, and only _think_ I'm being sarcastic.
;)

But on a serious note I'll say this: Dad, I hope you weren't being serious in checking whether it was you. I'm sure you've been nothing but extremely nice and helpful, especially as ambient is one of the people on BC who've had the balls to show also their weak sides.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1436188208' post='2815699']...Dad, I hope you weren't being serious in checking whether it was you...
[/quote]

Well, thanks for that :blush: (assuming you weren't 'trying' to be sarcastic..? :rolleyes: ). I'd agree that ambient is a Good Egg, with deservedly great confidence and talent in spades; enough to risk exposition, and so can brush off any snidy quips with ease. He's unlikely to win a 'volume war', though..! :P

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1436197558' post='2815862']
(assuming you weren't 'trying' to be sarcastic..? :rolleyes: )
[/quote]

LOL.
No, no attempts at sarcasm here. Just trying to be serious, open and direct - - whilst knowing full well that some people might assume I'm posteriorlicking instead.

My limited English sadly makes I don't understand the rest of your post, but I gather it's all good.