Why become a member? ×

GAS Addicts Annon

Grangur

I've just bought a bass. It didn't cost a lot. I don't need it. In fact I have 7 other basses, most of which seldom get played.

I'm not even in a band. I'm crop at playing bass. I just love the excitement of the variety and trying new basses.

I sold a bass today too. That doesn't bother me, but I need to stop acquiring them. Is this unusual?

Name withheld to save embarrassment.

Edited by Grangur

I bought another one this morning. I bought it on the basis that Mrs S says I can have it and I don't have one of that type in my current selection.

Little does she realise that the latter half of that statement applies to every single new type of bass that comes out. I see a lifetime of GAS stretching before me...

..and I am not scared one bit :o

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1435859209' post='2813161']
12 basses (guitars and uprights) so far, 2 of them second hand, the others new from the shop. All of them are going to stay. I'm not in a band nor am I planning to join one. All that is absolutely normal. Er... next question? :D :lol: :P :gas:
[/quote]

Next question it is then...

You want a couple more? I have two very nice ones up at The Gallery ATM. Your neck of the woods I believe, so why not pop along and try 'em out? You never know... :)

To paraphrase The Fabulous Furry Freak Bros.

'Basses will see you through times of no money better than money will see you through times of no basses'...............also applies to beer :drinks:

Just realised the only one I bought new was the Streamer '89 Ltd......and an Aria CSB380 I got on HP when I was 14 :D (a looong time ago) He asked me how much money I was earning, I said two fifty, he assumed it was two hundred and fifty, but it was £2.50 for delivering papers :thank_you: My mother went absolutely mental when she found out. :laugh1:

Edited by DrDrill

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1435842709' post='2812938']
i have the opposite problem, i cant bring myself to buy one even though ive had the green light from the boss.
[/quote]

That’s just weird :ph34r:

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1435933207' post='2813787']
yes it is, though i have addressed that problem now and done the deed and am already in the i want it now phase :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Good man

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1435841916' post='2812930']
....but I need to stop acquiring them. Is this unusual?
[/quote]

That is the bit I think is unusual. Fearing that you need to stop acquiring them.

I embrace my GAS wholeheartedly. I usually reach a point where I feel a need to sell a few - in fact I am doing this at the moment. I regard it as something like a lizard/snake/tarantula shedding its skin. But I never feel I should stop acquiring them. Where's the fun in that? :)

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1435976299' post='2814142']
Aagggghhh no!!!! :P
[/quote]

Surely [b]you[/b] are not going to get any trouble from uber-cool, bass-friendly Louisa! :D

And incidentally, in two-bassist households neither person complains at the other's GAS, which is fine, but the number of basses and amount of related gear can end up becoming rather worrying! :lol: :gas: :gas: :gas:

I recently fessed up to owning six basses, althought there is still one undeclared fretless bass that will need to be accounted for as part of some highly complex multinational trade/sale deal involving travel to foreign parts like Wigan and maybe as far as Yorkshire.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1436004074' post='2814265']
I recently fessed up to owning six basses, althought there is still one undeclared fretless bass that will need to be accounted for as part of some highly complex multinational trade/sale deal involving travel to foreign parts like Wigan and maybe as far as Yorkshire.
[/quote]
Faking End User Certificates is difficult and highly illegal, you know...

I have far too many basses. And most of them are on the cheap side, so I feel [u]mrtcat[/u]'s pain.