Why become a member? ×

Free Bass - Harley Benton PJ4 *GONE*

CamdenRob

[b]*GONE[/b]*

I picked this up last week as I was interested to find out just how "unplayable" the Thomann Deco basses were.

I was amazed when this arrived, the D they have stamped into the neck near the heel to identify this bass as a deco is bigger than the ding that made it a deco in the first place...

Very useable range of tones. The P is thumpy and deep and the J is surprisingly burpy and clear. Additionally the tone control actually does something and rolls the treble off nicely should that be your bag. The output is a little low but not really an issue.

The body finish is OK and the neck / headstock has a rather pleasing grain to it. The pickguard however is horrendous... A black or white replacement would look great I reckon. Frets are level and reasonably finished, one of the side markers is placed a bit off centre but apart from that it's a well put together bass. Could do with a setup and the strings are a bit naff but hey it was sold as unplayable...

Even at full value this bass would give Squier something to think about. It really is quite good.

I have no need for it and bought it as a bit of a folly really. I'm sure someone one out there needs a bass and I'm happy to pass this on. Would make an interesting project for those with the skills as well, I reckon that jazz pickup would sounds great if this was fretless.

I do still have the box, but shipping is a pain so collection prefered, from Camden, London. I can be around tomorrow if anyone wants to pick it up.

Some pics... look at that pickguard :blink:

Edited by CamdenRob