Why become a member? ×

Ridiculously stiff truss rod on a Spector

rhythmbug

Hi all

I recently acquired a 2003 Spector Euro 5 that has been previously owned by BC members. I'm told it was previously set up by the Bass Gallery.

The action was quite high and there was a lot of relief in the neck. I tried to tighten the truss rod, it was extremely stiff. I managed to tighten it by maybe 3 x 1/8 turns, but in the process, I snapped my Warwick Truss rod tool, the head of it broke off and wedged itself inside the cavity. I pried it out and carried on with a regular hex wrench. I had to use an oven mit to hold the hex wrench so I didn't rip my hand apart, it was that stiff! I spread the process out over 2 days.

Checked with a feeler gauge, it seemed ok so I wound up the strings and adjusted the action. Pretty buzzy especially in the higher register, and the B string seemed to buzz everywhere. Let it sit for 2 days and inspected again. Unsatisified and worried about the state of the truss rod, I slackened the strings and completely loosened the truss rod and left it to sit for a week in hope the neck would stabilise a bit.

Came back to it this morning. Tightened the truss rod 2 x 1/8 turns - it's still very tight, feels like I'm still forcing it. Wound up the strings and I'm back to where I started with a silly amount of relief. Not sure my little experiment achieved anything.

I prefer to do setups myself but this feels a bit out of my league. Should I quit and take it to a tech? I did want to get the frets checked anyway because it seemed to buzz a lot more than it should with lower action. 12 fret + is buzz city. My concern though is that Bass Gallery have already worked on this bass and that's who I would use.

Cheers

Mike

Disclaimer: I know nothing of Spector basses, and I am not a bass technician.
That being said, my mechanical experience makes me think that perhaps you're at the end of the thread on the truss rod, and the 'forcing' you've felt is the nut trying to cut more thread on the rod..? Is it possible to take the truss rod nut off, insert a suitable thick washer, and try again..? This is a 'standard' way of getting a bit more mileage from an adjuster.
Just my tuppence-worth; a luthier would have a more expert opinion to offer, and would be preferable to busting any more tools or the truss rod. Good luck with it...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1435921708' post='2813612']
experience makes me think that perhaps you're at the end of the thread on the truss rod, and the 'forcing' you've felt is the nut trying to cut more thread on the rod..? Is it possible to take the truss rod nut off, insert a suitable thick washer, and try again..?
[/quote]

Spector's have a two-way truss rod and I don't think you can do this in the way you would with a traditional Fender style rod.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1435922633' post='2813630']
Spector's have a two-way truss rod and I don't think you can do this in the way you would with a traditional Fender style rod.
[/quote]

OK, I stand corrected; thanks. In that case, a visit to someone competent would be wise, I reckon.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1435917873' post='2813550']
If it was me...

If you've just bought it you need to PM the seller. Then take it back to the Gallery. Maybe the seller might shoulder the cost of the set-up?

I certainly wouldn't mess on with it any further.
[/quote]

I already did. The seller only owned it 6 months and played it just a couple of times.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/262748-spector-euro-5-sold/page__p__2790860__hl__spector__fromsearch__1#entry2790860

I took it to the Gallery yesterday and explained the situation. One comment John made surprised me, that it doesn't matter how much you tighten the truss rod in one sitting. I was led to believe that you should stick to about 1/2 turn a day.

Anyway I got a voicemail today saying the truss rod has been greased up and it was "working but still tight". He agreed it definitely needs a fret job as it's not level and seemed to say that will help with the truss rod issue (though I'm not sure how those issues are related).

Edited by rhythmbug